Why does Mcclellands smell like ketchup?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Its just the tin note, not the actually smoke, im smoking tudor castle right now, the smoke is fine, but the tin is ketchup

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
From what I understand, vinegar is used as a mold-inhibitor by McClellands, giving *some of* their blends that characteristic ketchup aroma. To my olfactory senses, it just means I'm in for some quality tobacco.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
It's your genes. If Brussels sprouts and snow peas taste very bitter your genes are different than others. Makes certain veggies taste very bitter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylthiocarbamide

mikewi

Lurker
Dec 16, 2011
Maybe that's true. I've never smelled anything like ketchup or pickles. Some of my favorites are from them, so I guess that's a good thing. :)

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
For years, some Pipe smokers have commented on the tin note of "ketchup", "vinegar", "barbecue sauce",etc from McClelland's Virginia blends. What that is comes from aging Virginia leaf that has not been stoved, or flue cured in cakes. It doesn't affect the flavor of the blends when they are smoked. If you take the blend out of the tin and allow it to dry a bit, this odor goes away. Some don't notice it while others simply cannot abide by it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Thanks for the clarification, Fred. I enjoy McClelland's tobaccos, and never had any reason to think they are cased or topped.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
i'm with you chaplick, I can't stand the smell of some of their blends. I tried one virginia of theirs that stank so bad, I couldn't enjoy the smoke.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
To me a ketchup smell says: No Way Jose'.

I can't stand the smell of ketchup.

I like it occasionally on fries or in a BBQ sauce... but not in my tobacco.

:puffy:

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Id stay away from Mcclellands virginias, although i do have to say, i just went against my nose and smoked a bowl (Tudor Castle) and it honestly wasnt bad at all, and the ketchup smell didnt translate into the smoke

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
the ketchup smell didnt translate into the smoke

For years, some Pipe smokers have commented on the tin note of "ketchup", "vinegar", "barbecue sauce",etc from McClelland's Virginia blends. What that is comes from aging Virginia leaf that has not been stoved, or flue cured in cakes. It doesn't affect the flavor of the blends when they are smoked. If you take the blend out of the tin and allow it to dry a bit, this odor goes away.
As Fred pointed out, it is not a topping or a casing, but simply the results of the aging process. If you don't smoke their blends, you are missing some truly fine Virginias.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Some smoke these blends and enjoy them without concerns. With others, this can take a bit of getting used to, while some will never abide by them. I will occasionally catch this same scent from a freshly opened tin of other blenders tobacco that has been allowed to age. This is another area of individual preference, like most anything you can think of in Pipe smoking, and it certainly is to your benefit to know what the choices are.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have a half smoked tin of Beacon that just reeks and detracts from the enjoyment of the smoke .
So follow Fred's suggestion and take it out of the tin and let it dry out a bit. Then put it back. :puffy:

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The Beacon has spent more time in the open air than John Muir and it still reeks . I have other straight Virginia blends that are ripe in the cellar . They too put off a slight , repeat slight vineger smell as they age . I keep putting this back in the jar hoping the blend will lose its odor . Checking it every six months or so . This horrid stench does not come from aging Virginia leaf that has not been stoved, or flue cured in cakes . Although eloquent in the choice of words and phrasing is utter hogwash .This weed has been drenched in some kind of topping where someone was over zealous with a bottle of cheap apple cider vinegar . I can envision them doing a Russian sword dance over the mixing table with a open bottle in each hand . Perhaps it was just the batch I picked up . I purchased a tin of each of the MCC PCCA blends when they fisrt came out in 2009 .The others are long gone and while they did not become favorites were very good . As for the Beacon I like to open the jar and place it on a stump before I go into the woods so I can find my way back after dark or in case I get lost .

Status
Not open for further replies.