PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I feel that burley tastes better in a cob than in a briar or pear that is anything less than well broken in. In a well-seasoned briar, I would say it's neck and neck.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nothing beats PA or CH in a cob with a good cup of coffee. Don't know why it works, but it is quite magical.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I agree, CH in a cob with black coffee on a warm morning, sitting on the porch . . . no idea why it works, but it does.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
There is something very alluring about the inexpensive but venerable cob. I don't know if there is much of a taste difference unless maybe its a fresh cob, and I do think they don't need the break in period a briar does, but cobs are simply cool!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Leaves and cobs, it's all field crops, a family reunion. Virginia has the pedigree, but burley is just folks.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
I totally agree with statement. Cobs do wonders for burley, whether the classic codgers, perique, or some delicious dark-fired. The briars always seem to sour my burley smokes before I'm even half way through. No idea why, but I'm right there with ya man

Reactions: Chris e

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I think as long as an individual has no qualms or pre-conceived judgement against an American made cob, any tobacco smokes good in it. Some folks just can't get past the snobbery that exists within our ranks and have it in their minds that top shelf tobacco should never be burned in such a lowly smoking vessel. I on the other hand harbor no such prejudice and love to stuff a flake in one of my MM's and head out the door. If I'm fishing or running dogs the last thing I want is to ruin one of my briars and the outdoors and corn cobs just seem to be made for each other. I also believe burley just sings in the cob and it's my go to with any burley based selection.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The interaction between pipe and tobacco can affect the flavor of your smoke. A briar that has been 'seasoned' like a cast iron skillet, will help develop flavor to the enhancement of some tobaccos.

The reality is that a cob's interaction with burley provides the optimum balance of PH and alkalinity thus allowing for the full development of burley tobacco flavors. (I just made that up)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I tend to agree with this point of view. Dunno how much of it is psychological, but not too worried about that. Conversely, I wouldn't dream of putting a good lat blend in a cob.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I agree with this heavily. I for the longest time had a certain burley blend I was smoking from time to time and absolutely couldn't get into it. Well anyways a forum member can't remember who suggested to smoke it in a cob. Needless to say the cob and that burley was just so magical it made me actually desire to smoke this blend and actually order more of it. The blend was C&D Haunted Bookshop FYI.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Leaves and cobs, it's all field crops, a family reunion.
You have just created a quotable quote! :clap:
Once fully broken in, a Cob will smoke any blend well.
Burleys are complimented more by fresh cobs due to the sweetness they impart, IMHO.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Aren't cobs fairly absorbent? Briars hardly absorb moisture at all -- maybe that's why burley in a briar can start tasting sour. I love burley's but have never smoked them in a cob -- will have to do something about that.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Jud, I agree. As much as I love cobs, Latakia blends in a cob taste awful to me.
I like Lat in briar, Burley in cob, and Virginia in pear wood. But that's another can of worms :)

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I would say orientals in general don't smoke as well for me in a cob.(reg. or fire cured=Lat.)
:) That being said; I will still smoke orientals in a cob. But I don't have to like it!
Does anyone think the more open draw to the cobs plays a part in the burley tasting better?
I agree that the sweetness the cob imparts has something to do with it.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Cobguy beat me to it.
A fresh cob plays especially well with burley because of the sweetness imparted by the charring cob. I generally don't much like burley blends as I frequently taste a "coarseness" in them. A cob seems to smooth and round out that roughness by virtue of it seasoning the smoke with its own flavor.
Ren

Status
Not open for further replies.