PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

corrine

Lurker
Jun 17, 2013
I had a thought earlier today when a friend of mine asked a simple question. He asked why do I smoke if I don't inhale. I tried telling him I smoke for its calming effects and the ritual of the thing and that I still do get nicotine but its not the whole point of the smoke. Why do you smoke? Is it simply for the nicotine or for the process and contemplation ?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I smoke pipes for the ladies lol.
Seriously though, I smoke for the flavor and the relaxation and calming that it brings. Nicotine doesn't play a part at all.
BTW might want to mention to your friend you can get a huge nicotine buzz if not slight poisoning even when you don't inhale some blends like 1792 or Irish Flake.

corrine

Lurker
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think he understands that nicotine is absorbed through the mouth tissues even if it Isn't taken down into the lungs. I love the slight floaty feeling I get after a bowl of Blue Note mixed with a little PA

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
"I smoke a pipe because it brings me closer to God".

Johann Sebastian Bach
JS Bach was a tobacco pipe smoker (clays in those days), and composed the following poem about why he smokes a pipe. Found in the Noten-Bchlein vor Anna Magdalena Bach ("Little Notebook for A.M.Bach") of 1725 (Anna Magdalena was his second wife), this brief song was called So oft ich meine Tobackspfeife.
Here's the English translation.
Whenever I pick up my tobacco-pipe,

Stuffed with good tobacco

For pleasure and pastime,

It gives me a sad impression -

And leads to the conclusion

That I resemble it in many ways.
The pipe was made from clay and earth

And so was I.

One day I will be earth again -

It often falls from the hand

And breaks before you know,

My destiny is the same.
The pipe is usually not colored;

It remains white.

So therefore,

One day when I am dying

My body will turn pale.

Once buried it becomes black, just like

A pipe that has been used for a long time.
When the pipe is lit,

One sees the smoke disappear instantly

In the free air,

Leaving nothing but ashes behind.

The glory of all mankind is consumed

And the body turns to dust.
So often it happens while smoking,

That the stuffer is not handy,

And instead the finger is used,

Then I wonder when I burn myself,

If the ashes make such pain

How hot will it be in Hades?
Since such is the case,

From my tobacco I can always

Conjure enlightening thoughts.

Therefore, in comfort I smoke

On Land, at sea and at home

My little pipe, with devotion.

Johann_Sebastian_Bach.jpg

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Well I smoke and I fish,

But not near enough to satisfy an itch,

Of a girl, understand,

I need something to do with my hands.
~Thomas Rhett

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
My standard answer when someone asks me why? Because I like it.
Long answer:

1: The amazing smell

2: The taste

3: The relaxation

4: The ritual
Nicotine plays no part in it for me whatsoever. I can't even detect it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I enjoy smoking , period. I like cigars and, sue me, the occasional cigarette. But for me, pipe smoking is my true love. There are many reasons why I like smoking them. The aroma, taste, relaxation, and the overall admiration for the smoking instruments themselves. Also, I love collecting things , and who would want to collect cigarettes?

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I love the pipes, the ritual, the refinement, the relaxation.....and more often than not, I smoke with a friend and have great conversation.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I love the pipes, the ritual, the refinement, the relaxation.....and more often than not, I smoke with a friend and have great conversation.

corrine

Lurker
Jun 17, 2013
Wow relaxation and taste even ritual seem the common threads here. And I love that contest clip!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I was once smoking at night when the power went out and I was cast into total darkness.

Immediately, I noticed that pipe smoking wasn't nearly as gratifying as it had been only

moments earlier, so I believe there is a strong visual component that keeps me engaged.
There is a lot of ritual behavior -- which I also seem to enjoy. I noticed over time that

I avoid blends that are low in nicotine, which says something about my motivation; but for me,

flavor reigns supreme.
Nearly all my smokes are pleasing, obviously they would be; but every now and then a bowl of

tobacco becomes so deeply and completely gratifying that I feel my spirit has been transported

to Elysium. It's an ineffable transcendent experience. I practically live for those moments.
There is a story that Mark Twain's doctor advised that he could lengthen his life by ten years

if he would stop smoking. With characteristic wit, Twain quipped that the doctor had no idea

how little he valued a decade without tobacco. I pretty much feel the same way.
Smoking a pipe also makes me look verrrry cool. :puffy:

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I have always been fascinated with the past and craftsmanship associated with pipes and pipe smoking. Pipe smoking gives me a close relationship to something great, that has been passed down for generations.. I always sit and think "I wish I was born back then".... I love the culture, community and tradition I guess. I love the tobaccos, pipes and great friends and people you meet along the way... Best hobby in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.