PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
My answer to that question is always "I'm playing the odds". Every pipe is a crap shoot, in that know one knows how a pipe will smoke until it is smoked. I'm unaware of any pipe that is sold with a money back guarantee, that if it turns out once match is put to tobacco and the result is less than spectacular you can return it. No, it's more like, you bought it, you smoke it. That's the reason I stick to medium priced factory pipes. I don't feel as bad if I acquire an $80 pipe that doesn't taste the greatest than I would if I paid $800 and the pipe performed the same.
I don't know if I've just been lucky but of the numerous recent pipe purchases, only one has turned out to be a problem child and I'm still holding out hope that with a little more tutoring it will come around but even if it doesn't, I'm not out that much.
This is not to say I don't have my eye on a beautiful Rinaldo or Don Carlos, but unlike audio equipment or cars, where once you reach a certain price point, it's a matter of diminishing returns. With pipes a price point is a less reliable as a measure of performance, because pipes by their nature are natural, stereos or automobiles don't start as a plant in the ground.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I could certainly make due with a lot fewer pipes and I really can't remember buying a pipe (good maker, good grade) during the last twenty years I thought was a really bad smoker. Some most certainly smoked better than others but none were truly bad. What seems to bring me back to the market time and time again is the idea that out there somewhere is the perfect pipe and I just have to find it. Some have come pretty damn close but I'm still looking or at least that's what I tell myself :)

Mar 1, 2014
The answer to that question, on almost any subject, is that it was the experience of the previous item that lead to buying the next.

If I could have started collecting pipes with the experience of having owned a pipe of every shape and make, I would probably have only ever bought half a dozen instead of the two dozen I'm at now.

I think it's telling that the president of the NASPC eventually sold off the majority of his collection, only keeping his best smokers.

Given that we cannot look at the future in hindsight owning many things is a necessary evil until you've settled in and found your place within the subject at hand.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Just because. I like them and they put a smile on my face. Right now I'm averaging 2-3 new pipes a month while I build my collection up. I really don't need that many but it is fun aquiring and then smoking them. Eventually I will slow my acquisition to 3 or 4 a year or I will run out of room. Maybe special ocassion PAD...birthday, Christmas, father's day and anniversary? :)

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Besides the need to let the pipe air-out. I just like different pipes on different occasions. Smoking a pipe exclusively since Jan '14 Ive tried almost all styles.

I would have to agree ...

No one knows how a pipe will smoke until it is smoked. marcel

...except maybe in my experience a Savinelli always seems to have the perfect draw to me. Ive had some Peterson System pipes which seemed no better than a Wellington or a hard to find Swiss Dry Smoker.
Now sometimes for me its just the novelty of a new pipe that intrigues me or even a crude one Ive put together myself.

"The Ritual", "The Tobacco", and "The Occasion" always enters into the equation as well, overshadowing other aspects at times. Id say one should have at least 7 pipes, one for each day. I smoke a bowl from one then another and change up again while sitting at the desk here.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
3iaror9m.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of my best smokes are in the older pipes, so I don't think I'm operating on compensating for insufficiency. Rather, I think choosing (in my case at some length) a pipe, ordering it, waiting for it, receiving it, unwrapping it, packing it for the first time, and admiring it from time to time thereafter is a sufficiently pleasant experience it encourages me to repeat it many times. I certainly have too many pipes, but not so many that they aren't all on display, and they all get smoked in a rather long rotation.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
mso489 you explained the enjoyment sequence right to a T. Well put indeed. :puffy:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
When I was going through my second phase of pipe acquisition after I sold an entire lot of of both mid to high grades that were OK smokers but not phenomenal, I then started buying old London estates. I figured I was playing the odds and trying to work them in my favor in the attempt. My theory was I'd be getting older, better briar and I mean briar at the time of manufacture. I also had developed an affection for classic shapes and some of my previous collection had some wonky Freehands and Oom-Paul's and some long Canadians.

Has my plan worked? Yes and no, I did manage to average about 50% success with the winners being terrific smokers and the others being serviceable enough to stay in regular rotation. I've since picked up a couple high end hand mades, some classic mid grade machine mades and I'm happy with all of those. Realistically, I'm in need of 4-5 more really great pipes and I'll be content for a while, maybe.......
This is just my response and I get all of the above replies. I mean who doesn't love contemplating getting a new pipe even if you don't really need it? I work in a shop that sells pipes and I get a very generous discount on anything I buy but if I opted to just grab every nice pipe that came through the door I'd end up needing another job to afford this one! Lol. I had that problem once when I worked in a sporting goods store, (hunting/fishing), it's a terrible cycle if you fall into that trap.

Aug 14, 2012
A pipe needs to dry out between smokes. How many days depends on how good a smoke you want. Ideally 14 days is a good time, though much shorter rests are possible. If you smoke 8 pipes a day, 8x14 =112. So you need at least 112 pipes.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Why do some people have so many spoons with the names of states on them; would not having just your home state be enough?

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Why do women have 37 different panties in every color, pattern, and style?
Men buy two 5-packs of tighty whities and call it good.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Because truth be told, I despise smoking more than one blend in a pipe. I do have a couple of genre pipes, but for the most part, I have a pipe dedicated to a single blend. And marcel, pull the trigger on a Don Carlos. Recently acquired a Don Carlos volcano and love it.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I agree with Foggy also, but I try to allow an only 7 days minimum, some other members advocate 21+ days.

And if you divide your pipes into genres (or have even single blend dedicated pipes), the number is going to multiple.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Why do women have 37 different panties in every color, pattern, and style?
Men buy two 5-packs of tighty whities and call it good.
They do make couture underwear for men as well and once you wear a pair you'll understand why women have an obsession with Victoria Secrets or La Perla. They're a lot more comfortable and flattering than those 5 packs of tighty whities or boxers from Wal-Mart.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I just got into VaPers and I'm very glad my collection is around 35 pipes. I was able to alcohol clean 8 of them and rid them of the aromatic ghosts so I could dedicate them to the VaPers. If I ever grow a fondness for Latakia I'll be glad to have even more I can clean and dedicate to those blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.