PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Hi all,
I have noticed a few pictures over time where the pipe smoker is smoking the pipe upsidedown. I am curious if anyone knows why they smoke a pipe like that. Anyone know why?

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
And the reason I smoke mine right side up is to protect from sudden geysers and fountains.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Rain and snow. I was taught the trick leading two-week canoe trips in the Adirondacks back in the 60s.

alhaji

Lurker
Oct 2, 2015
Unless the smoker is doing it for fun, as a habit or is simply eccentric, the real reason must relate to weather elements; to prevent rain, snow and, in some climes, dusty/sandy winds from entering the bowl.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have noticed a few pictures over time where the pipe smoker is smoking the pipe upsidedown. I am curious if anyone knows why they smoke a pipe like that. Anyone know why?
Because the effect of nicotine is greater with gravity pulling blood to your head.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
I have used this method when its windy outside and I have a regular lighter, I will cover the flames with my hands or jacket and since the flame goes straight up and the pipe upside down it will do the work, or when its raining out side I smoke my pipe upside down.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Walter Pidgeon's character in Mrs. Miniver smoked his pipe upside down to comply with the blackout orders.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Seriously people, have none of you studied physics? As far as wind goes there is absolutely no difference whether the bowl is up or down, the wind going by will create the same low pressure inside the chamber which draws the ash out. They make wind caps for pipes which cover the bowl save for a few small holes, which prevent that phenomenon from happening.
And if you can't forego smoking whilst walking in the rain, then pipesmoking is not a habit it's an addiction. Plus you would need to walk very gingerly to avoid knocking the ashes out...and as we all know, "real" pipesmokers know it's important to leave the ash ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like smoking a pipe upside down would require some skillful and attentive tamping or you'd end up with embers on the front of your clothes. Ash does burn loose, as you know when you dump loose ash in an ashtray.

Status
Not open for further replies.