PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I'm finding out that different pipes somehow "prefer" different types of tobaccos.
My new (to me) Pete give an amazing smoke with a burley virginia blend, but a really mediocre one with a black cavendish blend that tastes great in my Lorenzetti. I accept the reality and I just simply don't smoke the BCA in the Pete, but I'm wondering why this is? Both pipes are broken in and I don't build up a cake in the bowls, but rather wipe them down and keep a really thin layer of black.
Shouldn't a quality briar, well drilled and properly maintained smoke well with any tobacco?
Is it the porosity of the briar?
The Wall thickness?
The stem?
Inquiring minds want to know, what do the long time experts say?

Jan 8, 2013
At certain times, when the moon is full, and when certain planets are aligned, when magic is allowed to return to the world of mortal man for a short time, the faerie folk come. Among them are the pipe fairies. Like most faerie folk, but not all, they are very small, standing between two and three inches tall. The pipe fairies have always been friendly to mankind, as they know we are a hard working people, working oftentimes from dawn to dusk or sometimes the other way around and finally having a chance to rest and enjoy ourselves at the end of our day. They see how hard we work and they know how important relaxation and the removal of stress is to our lives. Hard little workers themselves, they respect us and understand us, and they genuinely want to see us happy, as friends, even though they only ever watch us from afar. Sometimes they may hide in the shadows between two tins of tobacco among our pipes or from behind a pipe rack smiling as we finally relax and blow rings of smoke toward the ceiling, in a comfortable chair, or in front of a fire. Like most faerie folk they can sense whether we have a good heart, or an evil one, and for those of us they find worthy (luckily meaning most of us pipe folk) they will sometimes reward us. They dress in various shades of brown, blending into a shelf full of pipes and tobacco with ease. So if you see a flash of movement in the corner of your eye, but you look and see nothing, there may be a pipe fairy hiding behind one of your Petersons or Savinellis, or perhaps a Dunhill. On their belts they carry a small pouch filled with a magic dust. This dust will cause even a pipe that has never smoked well before to suddenly become a great smoker. Sometimes a pipe fairy will sprinkle one of our pipes with that dust. And when we light the tobacco and it smokes wonderfully, bringing a smile to our face and a content sigh from our breath, they smile as well, for it brings them joy.
So if you have a pipe that smokes wonderfully, even one that perhaps used to be a dud that you thought you would give one more chance and it suddenly smokes like a dream, there's a good chance you were visited by pipe fairies.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Each smoker as his/her own personality, likes, baccy preferences and expectations, when all are married together the resulting experience is different each time until the perfect smoke is found and hopefully repeated, in short.. it's a Zen thing

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
In all seriousness, I find it has much more to do with the size and shape of the bowl. Let's assume that the tobacco is at an adequate moisture level and properly packed into the pipe. Let's also assume you are a relatively proficient smoker. So the main variables would be a specific blend in a specific pipe. Experience tells me some blends smoke better in some pipes and less so in others. Then am left to observe that, at least in my case, some blends require a deeper chamber to give a chance for the flavor to build throughout the smoke while other blends seem to taste better without that build up. This also may be related to the concentration or strength of a blend. I prefer lighter, all-day blends in larger sized billiards and strong flakes in a shallower bulldog bowl.
The fact is the width and depth of a bowl would naturally affect the flavor and burn of the same blend.
We have pots and stacks for a reason, and that reason is not strictly aesthetic. Each of us makes a pairing decision whenever we put tobacco in a pipe.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
This is one of the mysteries of pipesmoking that I doubt will ever get an adequate explanation. I have many pipes that 'prefer' particular blends but only one pipe that seems to make whatever blend is smoked in it really sing.
The difficult part is remembering which pipe goes with each tobacco :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
BAH HUMBUG on all the practical, realistic, clinical, and rational reasons...
I say they are pure spirits and transcendent living beings from a parallel universe gifted to us mere mortals by the gods almost entirely for our pleasure if we are faithful enough to these, our beloved friends, to discover the gifts and uniquenesses of their several and plenteous personalities. Mine even talk to me!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We learn to use each of them over time and no two "work" exactly the same way with any particular blend. They emanate tradition and human artistry whether hand made or designed for manufacture. They have architecture and social context. Like old houses and buildings they ring with human thought and activity.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In truth, some smokers find vast differences in how a given pipe smokes different tobaccos, and others find virtually no difference. Why this is so is unsolved, but it mainly comes down to mental processes: it is so if you think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.