PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Granger is a good standard over-the-counter blend, a codger blend, and it is tasty if sometimes with a tinge of bite and a tad cloying. But put it in a Missouri Meerschaum and presto! Lovely things happen to old burley based codger blends in a corn cob pipe. Have you had this experience? Does it work with burley/Virginia blends, like maybe Half-and-Half as well? How about Prince Albert. It is surprising how much of a step up these old tub and pouch tobaccos gain in a cob. Any theories why that's true? It's good to know. Talk about pairing the pipe and the leaf.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Have you had this experience?
Definitely!
Unless the cob is older and completely caked it will impart a natural sweet flavor

that is especially compatible with Burley. It's not as apparent with Virginia's because they are already sweeter

to begin with. This is also why I break in all my cobs with a Burley ... love that sweet corn and bread combo. :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Codger blends are like comfort food.

Cobs are like blue jeans. Durable and comfortable.

You don't wear blue jeans with shiny black dress shoes, and escape askance.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
You are right

There is nothing like a good codger blend in a cob. Have you tried the blends that Russ did for MM? I've tried 2 thus far and enjoyed them in a cob. They aren't that bad in a briar.

Wonder what Phil from MM would say about this and some of the esteemed blender that visits this forum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
phxrock, I just ordered my first Russ Home and Hearth tub of Chestnut, not exactly one of the MM blends, but done with an old-time touch. However, Chestnut is the one Mid-Town blend that is not aromatic and that has five (!) different tobaccos, so it is truly a blend, so it may go a little better in a briar. I'll keep the MM blends in mind, but I do have part of tub of Granger and an unopened several-year-old tub of Half and Half, not my favorite, but maybe cob improved. We'll see . I use the cobs as a change-up from briars and some of the more complex blends. Maybe the aging will draw out the best of the Virginias in Half and Half. Which of the MM blends do you like, or like best?

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I like the Missouri Pride. It is close to CH with a nice pleasant topping. The Country Gentleman is a light bur/ per also with a light topping. Both of these are easy to smoke but, they are a little moist in the pouch. Please post you comments about the Chestnut. I want to try it but, have been waiting until I see comments here. I do enjoy smoking these codger blends.
John

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
We were just talking about this in a different thread! Yeah, cobs do seem to bring out the best in a burley. I have also found them to take the bite out of Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey. I love the taste of that stuff, but smoking it in a briar sets me up to need a tongue transplant.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Cob are good, Cobs are Great. A cob is a plain simple smoke. Treat them right they will give you a good smoke every time.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I smoke a bowl of PA (sometimes Price Andrew) every night at bedtime, but only in a cob.

I made the exact comparison that newbroom did about two days ago about codger blends being like comfort food, i.e., macaroni & cheese, grilled cheese sandwich, etc. Tried a few time smoking PA in a briar but for some reason it's just not the same to me. More likely than not it's mind over matter as I'm somewhat a creature of habit but so be it. Also, for some odd reason, I only smoke Mississippi River in a cob as they just seem to match up so well.
Someone made a comment on this site that he thinks the reason codger blends have lasted so long is because the same guys have been buying it for 50yrs or so. Now that is something I totally disagree with. I would venture

to say that we have a share of younger folks who like codger blends simply because they enjoy them, and more likely than not first tried them to achieve some memories of what their grandfathers smoked and ended up liking them. Granted, I like and have my fair share of the numerous blends available, but I simply smile and shake my head when people trip over their own feet and spend exorbitant prices on difficult to obtain tobaccos such as Penzance. If worse came to worse I’d be a happy camper and survive quite nicely with a handful of cobs and a few tubs of codger blends.
I don’t know, and maybe I’m just old fashioned, but for those that feel that they must have 50+ plus pipes and a cellar filled with a hundred or so pounds of multiple blends, which more likely than not they’ll ever get a chance to smoke, is just plain silly to me and is simply not what smoking a pipe is, nor in my opinion, was it ever meant to be. But... that’s just this old ‘codgers’ opinion. ;)

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I smoke MM Cobs more than any other. Next is Meers,followed by briar. In the cobs it's mostly Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall,OJK,and Billy Budd. In Meers, my beloved CONDOR, Royal Yacht, etc. Briars, everything else Lane HGL, Night Cap,MM965, and other English/Balkan Blends. AROS in my Carey Magic Inch Pipes which I love...

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I smoke cobs most of the time, and love almost all of the OTC burley codger blends. I like simplicity, and value.

Status
Not open for further replies.