PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I'm looking to buy a traditional calabash, so I started reading a bit about calabash and meerschaum pipes. Meerschaum pipes apparently don't need rest between smokes, but calabash pipes do. Why is that so if the calabash pipe has a meerschaum bowl? Does it have something to do with the gourd or mahogany wood? By the way, is the traditional gourd better than mahogany wood?

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I have zero firsthand experience, but my reading suggests that a gourd might be preferable to mahogany because A) it doesn't impart flavor and B) can be cleaned.
As for the rest period, I suspect that it has more to do with the interplay between the three materials (meer bowl, gourd/mahogany, cork fastener) than any single element in the pipe. You're dealing with three different heat-expansion rates, three different moisture absorbency rates, three different drying rates, three different responses to any cleaning effort...you get the idea. So it could be that most are just playing it safe.
On the other hand, I see users on this forum in past threads suggesting that once it's cooled and the bowl is wiped, it's ready to go.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Hi Elbert and Cortez,
Thank you both for your replies. My sources could have been wrong. I was planning to spend no more tan $200 on a calabash, but those within that price range are only mahogany. They look great, but I won't buy one if they need as much rest as a briar. I look forward to hearing yours reply, Cortez. Thank you.
By the way, I just ordered the Meerschaum Depot fish pipe from P&C!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Did you see the IMP meerschaum sale on SPC? Anyway, gourds need periodic rest like any meerschaum, though not as frequently as briar. The gourd should be flushed with high proof drinking alcohol weekly if smoked heavily and allowed to dry, but no extended rest period is required. An ocassional application of lanolin to the cork seal will keep the seal nice and conditioned, and after prolonged use, the bottom of the meerschaum bowl will become soft. Fix this by removing the bowl, invert it on a flat surface, and ignite it with a match or lighter. When the flame goes out, allow it to cool, and place it back into the gourd.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Hi Chasing Embers,
Thanks so much for your advice. I did see the sale, but I wanted a figure or some kind of figure. This is my first meerschaum (Dark Fish); I'm so excited to see it in person. I think the IMP pipes are classy and probably very quality for their price, but they look too plain to me. When I was searching for a meerschaum, I wanted something that was quality for a cool smoke and a lasting but, but I also wanted a unique design, which is why I went with the Dark Fish. By the way, if you know, it says "with tamper." Does this mean they had leftover meerschaum and made a tamper out of it? That would be awesome. Thanks again, Chasing Embers.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/82480/meerschaum-depot-figural-fish/

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Gourd Calabash pipes do not need to rest if they have a meerschaum bowl. I get a perfectly dry smoke every time, even after 2 bowls in a row.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I had a calabash and smoked it constantly, cleaning occasionally out of a sense of duty, not because the pipe didn't perform optimally.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I checked the Ehwa book (above), and chasingembers nailed it on all the important points. Ehwa suggests that the gourd 'bash is a good deal if you can't afford a large rotation of briars, because you can push it a lot harder -- like several times a day. They do, however, need rest and periodic cleaning.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Sounds very intriguing, now I'm more interested in the gourd calabash.
Fix this by removing the bowl, invert it on a flat surface, and ignite it with a match or lighter. When the flame goes out, allow it to cool, and place it back into the gourd.
One very ignorant question for the above treatment (I don't own any meerschaum pipe): a meerschaum bowl can be ignite with flame? Say... even without adding Rum to it? And when people ignite it, or put it on fire, do they do it from the top (inverted) or below (Like a candle light shield)?

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
My experience is with northern and brass. I have 3 and smoke them as I wish. The reason they are gourd is it makes the large smoke chamber light in weight. The purpose of this large chamber is to cool the smoke. Personally I would not be interested in one made of anything but gourd. The ones made of wood were originally made to supplement a gourd market that had become expensive due to supply and demand. Some are know being made of better briar, but I do not see them as practical. To each his own :)If I am going to buy briar I prefer so many other shapes.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks, everyone. I just purchased a pipe, so I think I'm going to wait a couple months before I get a calabash. I might save a little more for a nice gourd or just go with the mahogany on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D4K1PC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0046OL9JC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0TKJ4BVXZTJVHB9V43K1

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The meerschaum cup is occasionally removed and inverted to properly burn off

the resins and tar that collect beneath the bottom orifice of the cup.

Do not try to hold the cup upright and burn off the crud with a match or lighter.

If you do, the bottom of the cup will be permanently soiled with soot. Harmless, but ugly.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
To the original poster, when you do finally pull the trigger on a calabash you can do far better than mahogany on a $200 budget, in particular the 70-90s era Pioneers you see constantly on eBay (with the plastic "top hat" shaped shank extension and vulcanite stem with the little flare towards where it meets the extension). These are quite well made and a fine smoke, with a real pressed meer bowl (virtually all production 'bashes, even higher end like Bauer and Strambach, are made with pressed not block). The exceptions are the carved or decorated gourds with the very flat profile bowl insert, these bowls were made of plastic or porcelain, but they still smoke just fine. A good sized meer bowl pioneer can be had for around $100 on eBay. Many have been smoked so much they're near falling apart, it's best to let these pass and wait for one in great condition, I've even seen one or two that were totally unsmoked! Just last night I watched an excellent example go for $86.50.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Meerschaum-Bowl-Calabash-Gourd-Sherlock-Holmes-Pipe-Stem-/351393034433?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51d0a830c1&nma=true&si=Waiiuw%252B9AD1jITyCBa04Cr%252BMQO8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
If you're looking for something a step up but still sub $200, you can get a very nice Strambach from a few German sellers. I ordered a 'bash from this merchant just last month and had an excellent buying experience.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Calabash-Pfeife-Strambach-Vienna-Big-Gros-ohne-Filter-/111580079442?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item19fab0e552

Status
Not open for further replies.