PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why are bulldogs so popular? Don't get me wrong, not everyone likes them, and some actively dislike them. However, when there is a line of pipes offered in different shapes, the bulldog, if offered, is frequently the first to sell out. Also, bulldogs often receive the most ardent and enthusiastic posts devoted to particular shapes. Here are a few of my ideas why bulldogs are so popular, and maybe others can add additional reasons. To avoid jabbering, I will list only three:
1. Bulldogs have both a settled form, characteristics that make them recognizable bulldogs, and an infinite variety of variations that keep them interesting.
2. Bulldogs have an unmistakably masculine look that is both rugged and dashing.
3. Bulldogs have an informality that makes them look offhanded without looking tacky or cheap.
Okay, you take it from there!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
That's three excellent reasons. For me I just always loved the shape and to keep PAD attacks to a minimum I decided a number of years ago to limit my collecting to a specific kind of pipe. Rhodies and Dogs won out. I will on occasion stray but not often. It's a shape that has been both perfected and murdered but when it's done right it has a symmetry and balance that's hard to explain. It just speaks to me. A well done bent Bulldog with a tapered stem just flows.

Mar 1, 2014
It has lots of angles when everything else is variations of round.

It's not too deep so cleaning is easier.

Thick walls make it heat up slower.
Everyone secretly wishes their nickname was Bulldog.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Mso, I fully agree with your three reasons.
Also concur with Gloucesterman's remarks regarding symmetry, balance and flow.
I think they also remind us of a not very distant and a lot gentler past when every man just had a one pipe that was smoked everyday, and the imagery in our minds is usually associated with a bulldog or something similar to an Oom Paul.
Cheers,
J

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I like mine as it can serve as an impromptu weapon if necessary. Its quite a hunk of briar....

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
They have that certain "englishness" to me. Can´t really pinpoint it but the pictures that come up in my head involve Englsih sportscars and Tweed flatcaps. :lol: Love those darn things...

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I'm feeling rather emasculated; I don't own a bulldog. Is this one of those things I need to keep hush—hush, for fear of losing my (Semi)Official Pipers Card?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeah I don't own one either. Not on purpose, just haven't bought one yet I suppose. I do own the bulldogs red headed step brother the Rhodie though.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jeffrey-
The fact that you can publicly admit you don't have a 'dog means your masculinity is at least at the minimum acceptable level. So congratulations for that important first step. Now, go out and grow 'em larger by buying the heaviest bully you can find!

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I think it is just because they are a classic shape. Seems like most people are leaning toward traditional shapes these days. I prefer the straight billiard or Canadian, but bulldogs are very cool too. I only have one but would like to have a few more. It can be hard to find a lighter weight bulldog though. I agree that they look relatively un-pretentious.

Oct 28, 2015
I find the bulldog to be a beloved shape because it has an interesting aesthetic relation both inside and outside the pipe community. In the pipe community, it's "classic," "standard," and as such, smoking one becomes a way integrate within the whole history of pipe culture. Outside of the pipe community, the bulldog is different (read, "non-dublin") enough to elicit intrigue. I get more questions from the man-on-the-street about my bulldog than my freehands, normally along the lines of "that's a cool looking pipe. Not like my uncle's..."

Or, shoot, that's at least how I feel.

Jun 4, 2014
The shape of a Bulldog pipe remind me of a wooden ship. They have a a keel that flows into a rounded hull then tapering back to deck.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I think it is just because they are a classic shape

the bulldog is different (read, "non-dublin") enough to elicit intrigue.
I think these two comments mirror my point of view.
The bulldog is a robust but refined shape that has just enough embellishment to make it compelling - but not enough to take away from its disciplined utilitarian aesthetic. It's like the pipe version of a Norman Foster building.
There's also a surprising amount of variation achievable just from adjusting the angle from vertical of the heel and the angle from horizontal of the rim, and the distance between these two angles. It's a good platform for each carver to make their mark.
The inscribed lines that run around the diameter of the pipe at the intersection of these two angles are like a signature of the shape tying all of these renditions together under the same family.
... and then there's the rhodesian which is like a bastard cousin that doesn't get invited to thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.