Why Did Mac Baren Name It Latakia Flake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I am not a fan of Latakia bombs so I have avoided this blend. Based on the name, ii haven't even bothered reading the reviews. Having recently found a few latakia blends I've enjoyed, I decided to add a tin to my order for the HH Burley Flake.
I dried three flakes for a couple of hours, folded, slight twist and loaded my Moretti Morta Pot. I was surprised, upon lighting, when there was no latakia blast at all. I found the sweet Virginia, Burley and oriental leaf more forward than the latakia. As the bowl proceeded, the only latakia I detected was some smoky sweetness. Nice, cool smoke that should be sipped patiently to enjoy the complexity this blend offers. Minimal relights.
This not only could be an all day smoke but rather, would be an excellent choice for an all day smoke. Mild enough not to overwhelm your palate, complex enough to not be boring. Very budget friendly as well.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Tried it a few years ago, and found an almost maple taste to it. The Latakia is there, but far in the background. More however than their discontinued, and poorly named "Latakia Blend".

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
This is probably in my top 5 flakes. My only problem with it is pacing. I like it so much I can't seem to sip it like I should which is a shame as it can bite, but oh so worth it!

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I just tried this for the first time recently, after having been on my radar for quite some time. Ordered from Smoking Pipes and got a tin from 2015, which was a surprise.
I've had a couple decent smokes with it, but it has a strong vinegar-like note in the tin and in the smoke that just won't go away no matter what I do and I ended up tossing it in the trash last night.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Mac Baren blends with subtlety and balance being appreciated more than a dominant leaf being showcased. Of the HH Flakes, this is the one with Latakia, therefore it is the Latakia Flake? And it's not like the latakia is missing. Perhaps the name "Very Well Balanced Medium English With Some Orientals But Still Basically Pretty Friendly Flake" didn't fit on the tin?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The names of blends are often not descriptive, for some reason. I've noticed that often, and I wish I'd kept a list of examples. I guess the take home lesson is, read the list of constituent tobaccos in blends before you conclude anything about how they might taste. There are a number of blends that are named almost in contradiction to their tobaccos and flavor. I'm not even going to guess at the explanation. Maybe one of our members who is a professional blender could enlighten us.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Or, why did they call it Virginia #1, when it tastes like #2? :rofl: Excellent!
I love the whole HH line. This is probably my least favorite, but I still like it.
I should probably revisit it now that I have half a technique developed.
Smittyd, 1.75oz compared to 1oz... really?!
Get off my lawn... :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have purchased HH Acadian Perique and Virginia #1 in bulk form at a local B&M. I like it better than the tinned stuff, perhaps because it is drier. Latakia Flake is one of my top ten, and I am hoping that in the absence of Burley Flakes these days, MacB Burley Flake may make the grade. Waiting patiently for my tin to arrive.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I smoked about 200g of this but then its voice got lost in the voices of other blends and I never laid in as much of it as I had intended, which I suppose means I found it good-very good but not very good-excellent. I tasted enough latakia to justify the name, but it was the other tobaccos in the blend that gave it substance and savor.

P

pipebuddy

The OP mentions Latakia Flake, then Burley Flake...Which one is it he's describing?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I think the OP was ordering HH Burley, and got some Lat Flake to go with it.
For anyone who cares, the Savinelli "Giubileo D'oro" has a bit more stink to it than the Mac Baren Latakia.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
sasquatch, I'm confused. Why do you compare the smell of the briar used in the Gubileo d'Oro to MB Latakia Flake? Savnelli does have a blend, as you know, Doblone d'Oro, but I can't imagine that you refer to it, which has no latakia.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
sasquatch, I'm confused. Why do you compare the smell of the briar used in the Gubileo d'Oro to MB Latakia Flake? Savnelli does have a blend, as you know, Doblone d'Oro, but I can't imagine that you refer to it, which has no latakia.
He is refering to this

003-401-0010.jpg

The above is not my cupa, but Dablone d'Oro and Brunello Flake are fantastic.
As to the OP, HH Latakia is O.K. (kinda #2) like Cosmic says, but the HH Burley (new offering) is fantastic. Even though my cellar is pretty much done, I did stock up on this new offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.