PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

holysmokes

Lurker
May 9, 2012
Allentown, PA
Sorry for the provocative subject header, but let me explain...
I'm told by my tobacconist that I'm strictly a cavendish man (or an aromatic man, as the case may be). I smoke a half-and-half mixture of pure burley and black cavendish -- sometimes just the black cavendish alone. Every once in a while, he'll pass me a tin of something and say, "Try this." It's always some sort of aromatic with some sort of flavored casing: vanilla, plumb, whiskey, you name it. Most recently is was something with coconut. But every tobacco I've tried with any kind of sweet flavor ends up burning too hot and biting my tounge and mouth. The sweeter it smells in the can, the hotter it burns in my pipe. The only two tobaccos I can smoke that come out of a tin are Mac Barren's (sic) "Honey and Chocolate" and W. O. Larsen's "1864 Mixture"; but I don't enjoy them as much as my unflavored mix. As for the so-called "real" tobaccos that most every serious person smokes ... let me just say that if my tobacco has been within six feet of anything containing a microgram of latakia, my tounge threatens to leap out of my mouth and hide.
So, what's wrong with me? I can't stand English type tobaccos, and I can't stand anything with a sweet flavor in it.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Just smoke what you enjoy. I'm all for wanting to expand your horizons, but I wouldn't say you're not smoking "real" tobacco. Also, you might re-evaluate your smoking technique. I've found that checking how I pack and how fast I smoke has really upped the enjoyment factor for me.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
You might try VaPers, as some have mentioned. H&H Anniversary Kake, Escudo, Haddo's Delight are good ones. Maybe a VA/Kentucky like Jack Knife Plug or a straight Virginia like MacBaren HH Mature VA or Lane Ltd. MV-1000 (has a slight topping).
The caveat with VA blends is smoke them Sloooooooowly or they will take vengeance upon your tongue. Smoked slow, though, a pure VA or VaPer is a wonderful experience!
Your aversion to Latakia could be tongue bite, which is a reaction that is due to your body chemistry more than anything. Nothing you can do about it.
Another Idea would be to score some pure Cavendish, Burley, VA and maybe some Carolina Ribbon blending tobaccos from P&C or 4noggins and try them individually and in different combinations. It is fun and will help you identify the smell and taste characteristics that you like and dislike about each type.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard.

Don't feel bad if you can't smoke aros - lots of us get by without 'em. Try some Virginias,or Va/pers. If you like burley, maybe try some other burley blends. Hearth & Home's Old Companion might work for you.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
So you don't like latakia--what's wrong with that? lots of experienced pipe smokers don't care much for it either. In all the years that I've been smoking a pipe, I've had any number of neophyte smokers ask me to suggest the best tobacco, and my response is always: "the one you like." There's plenty of time to experiment with tobaccos. By the way if you're smoking quality aromatics, and they bite your tongue, it may be that you're puffing too vigorously. I smoke a few aromatics, and I always let them dry out a bit. Then remember the rules: always pack your pipe looser than you think it ought to be, smoke it slower than you think you should, etc. Feel the side of the pipe. If it's hot to the touch, that may be sign that you're working it too fast. I always tell new smokers that the bowl should feel pleasantly warm to the touch. But I certainly wouldn't think for a moment that you're not smoking real tobaccos. And if the burley cavendish blend is pleasing to you, then it's a great tobacco.

By the way--this is some forum--a priest and a rabbi. What else have we got here?

oremus pro invicem,

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
There are several things you can do to make your experiences better. First of all, stay away from most aromatics. Most of the blends you described are not what I'd call "real" tobacco -- they are heavily sauced aromatics, which will tear up your tongue. Look for blends with less (or no) flavoring. There are many good virginia blends, Virginia/perique blends, burley blends, and latakia blends that you may do well to try. Since you're just starting, I'd highly recommend either stocking up on some McClelland blends (Blackwoods Flake and the Frog Morton series may be good to start with) as well as maybe calling Cornell and Diehl and letting them put together a sample pack. Blends like Orlick's Golden Slices and Old Gowrie might also be good. I would highly, highly recommend trying Carter Hall and Prince Albert (available at many US supermarkets). Since tongue problems are an issue, you might consider some of Gawith & Hoggarth's "Lakeland" blends, which are very easy on the tongue yet full of flavor: Ennerdale Flake, Kendal Flake, Bosun Cut Plug, Dark Flake, etc. are all good.

It doesn't sound like you've really even gotten your feet wet as of yet, so don't give up on anything until you've tried it!

Also, it's a good idea to make sure you let your tobacco dry out some before smoking (30 minutes or so per bowl) and make sure you go slooooowly.

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
There's NOTHING wrong with you! I cannot tolerate those cedar chip/Latakia blends that people now call 'English blends'. It's physiology, nothing more, They disagree with me. When I was young I smoked the stuff all the time and completely burned out on them. I just can't do them, they are unpleasant. I can't do Latakia in even tiny quantities. I do like stuff like McClelland's Beacon, Escudo and Peterson's Irish Oak, these being natural (more or less) Virginia/Perique blends and the Orik golden slice is free of allergens and perfumes, natural Virginia. I will not go near a flavored tobacco. If I want a banana split, I eat a banana split, I don't smoke it!

I like the Orientals in the blends I've tried from McClelland. I'm looking for more from other blenders.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I see that the normal crowd has greeted you so now its my turn :D welcome!!! This is a great place with all the pipe smoking answers.. Well i always get my questions answered. My 2 cents worth is this: Pipe smoking is a trial and error process for me. I have really had my ups and downs with it, but i like what i like, and if i don't like it i give it away. Get pipesandcigars.com to sell you a sample package and try what they give you. Good luck, and keep coming back!!!!!!!!

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Welcome. It has already been said that by shawn622 that pipe smoking is trial and error. Keep trying different varieties - keep a log of what you've tried so that you can understand your tastes even better. Then, over time your tastes will change and the process begins again; that's part of the fun.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Your aversion to Latakia could be tongue bite, which is a reaction that is due to your body chemistry more than anything. Nothing you can do about it.

I agree with baronsamedi. Some people just can't tolerate some types of tobacco. But there is enough real tobacco out there that there is usually something for everyone.
Have you tried looking at Luxury Tobacco Reviews?

They have many tobaccos listed by category. It's a good way to see some reviews and know what type of new tobacco you are trying. Try some from categories that are new to you.
The Virginias and Virginia/Perique blends are sweet, but it's a natural sweetness, not the syrupy sweetness of aromatics. They do burn a little hot, but I just looked at that as an opportunity to practice smoking slowly. As long as it's not biting, I have found nothing will burn as long as I go slowly enough and the tobacco is dry.

dirtybearpipes

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2012
I am a relatively new smoker, and I have learned the importance packing the bowl to fit the needs of how I smoke. So I would encourage you to play around with your packing methods and the way you smoke it. Once I had that "figured out" I was able to enjoy a lot of tobaccos I hadn't in the past!

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
As others say, try VAs and VAPERS Personaly its rare for me to actually enjoy any latakia, and as far as sweet stuff goes, its not for me at all. Try Escudo, maybe Orlik, those two are fantastic

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Boswells aromatics are full of flavor and they do not cause tongue bite like the others you have tried do, you can view their website at boswellpipes.com and place an order by phone.

unfinished

Lurker
Aug 7, 2012
Tongue bite/burn is caused by steam, which is cause from combusting or heating a wet substance. Try air drying the aromatics in the sunlight. Don't use electronic/gas appliances to heat and dry, that would dramatically change the flavour. You can still enjoy your aromatics, but you have to dry it like Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flakes(outside in sunlight all day).

By doing so, you won't have to buy expensive "quality aromatics" to ensure a quality smoke, being royally overcharged is a "by-product" of capitalism!

I apologize for being too explanatory. I don't like leaving out details even if you already understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.