PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
An idle question that keeps bothering my inquisitive brain: Why is briar the prefered wood for pipes? Greater heat resistance? And where else can pipe briar be found besides Italy? Thanks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Density and heat resistance is what makes it a good choice and can be found in many parts of the world.
Wikipedia
Erica arborea (tree heath) is a species of flowering plant (angiosperms) in the heather family, Ericaceae. There are disjunct populations in Africa including the Ethiopian Highlands, the mountains of Ruwenzori and the Cameroon Mountains. In Africa it is normally referred to as giant heather. It is native to the maquis shrublands surrounding the Mediterranean Basin north to Bulgaria and west to Portugal and the Canary and Madeira Islands. Naturalised populations occur in south-eastern Australia.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Briar became widely used in the early 1850's. As has been said above, its resistance to heat, primarily due to the silicate content in the wood, and its porosity made it a desirable choice for being used in making pipes. It is found in many Mediterranean countries and much of the Briar used in making pipes comes from Calabria in Southern Italy, and Sardinia. Before the Algerian War for Independence, much of the briar sourced for pipes came from Algeria as well.

...and, flavor. Most wood aromas when heated just don't blend as well with the tobaccos. And, other woods will lose their aroma after time. But I have some ancient estate pipes, that were smoked frequently before me, and I have smoked often since, and the briar has kept it's faint pipe-y smell. Anything other than briar just doesn't smell like a pipe to me.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think it's been covered well already. Briar for the most part takes the heat better than other woods. Typically the high end artisans are using briar from Mimmo in Italy. They also use Grecian and Algerian briar.
All of my pipes are briar aside from the obvious cobs, one clay, one morta, and one strawberry wood. I really like this strawberry wood pipe Scott Thile made. It had a noticeable wood flavor difference the first few bowls. Now that it's nearing being broken in though that's starting to fade a bit.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Covered well above. Superior heat resistance is a must when we burn things in it. But we do often forget, it is gorgeous and has just the right smell and flavor to enhance tobacco. Morta is fun but offputting for some, olivewood is neutral and doesn't do much, strawberry is nice at first and meh later, and most hardwoods don't taste very good. Those exotic woods have a toxicity tendency.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Yes Warren! That is something I have given a lot of thought, and my conclusion is that there is absolutely no reason not to briar. Lately I've been briaring quite a lot an I tell you, it's such fun. In fact, I am briaring right now!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
From an early draft of The Scottish Play:
To briar or not to briar, that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,

And by opposing end them: to die, to sleep

No more; and by a sleep, to say we end

the heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks

that Flesh is heir to?

groovediggerdan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2017
Possum Trot, MO
Briar? I hardly know her! I keed...
Seriously though, I've always wondered why briar has to be imported. Could these shrubs/trees/whatevertheyis be grown in the U.S. or elsehwere? The whole "Dominican leaf from Cuban seed" thing with cigars comes to mind.
Then again, who wants to invest in a tree farm where your profits arrive after 50 years?
Forget I asked :D
GDD

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I presume that pipe makers tried a vast variety of pipe materials before briar became established, and we know they are still trying a wide range of them. Clay, morta, meerschaum, and woods of all sorts, not to mention patented wood composites, and so on and on. I don't know who first tried briar, or where, but it was the French who got serious about manufacturing briar pipes in volume. In fire resistance, weight, taste, working qualities of crafting it, and appearance appeal, briar was the magic root. It is heavy labor to dig it out; it is part wood cutting and part mining it with shovels. My favorite substitutes are corncobs and Mountain Laurel, but nothing brings it all together like briar. Cobs run about even, but probably don't have the durability nor eye appeal of briar.

seriously though, I've always wondered why briar has to be imported. Could these shrubs/trees/whatevertheyis be grown in the U.S. or elsehwere? The whole "Dominican leaf from Cuban seed" thing with cigars comes to mind.

I have been trying to grow a few Giant Sequoia Redwoods in my backyard. I wanted to carve me a hobbit home into one of them, and harvest the other for lumber to make a fortune, but... still waiting.

kidding aside, I did have several vanilla bean vines in my greenhouse, trying to grow my own ice cream flavoring. But, for reasons not quite like the Cuban seed thing, some plants just aren't adaptable to new regions.

Status
Not open for further replies.