PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
This must seem the most silliest question to bring up, but I've seen much discussion over breaking in pipes and rotating them. And I must confess, I don't understand why. A new pipe seems to me to smoke as well new as after a month's use. And as I haven't enough pipes to use a true rotation, the same question applies: why not use the same pipe you smoked on Monday (BTW, prepare for this week's "Scare of the Week" tomorrow) and smoke it on Tuesday? I haven't noticed any change of taste. Perhaps my palate is not developed enough, or is this to keep from damaging a pipe? As always, everyone's input is appreciated.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Rotation is to keep the briar of one pipe from getting to hot, I believe. I also believe the breaking in is to get the wood used to being smoked and also build up cake to better protect the pipe. I'm not 100% sure about this, but this is what I got out of it from reading the forums myself. For a better answer just wait roth will show up soon, it's a sure bet.

~Ron

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I'm with you. I clean my pipe with a single pipe cleaner nce a day and smoke the same pipe day in day out 10 plus bowls a day. If I rotated, I'd need 70 pipes and that's kind of silly. For me, what worked for the vast majority of smokers for many years woks just fine. While, a fresh clean rested pipe definitely tastes better, and I can't argue with that, for me, it's not so much better to justify the extreme hassle of rotating and the whole ritual involved. I just pack up and smoke whenever I feel like it and switch between 2 pipes, primarily, unless I want a longer smoke, in which case I'll grab a bigger pipe, but only do that at home.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Yes I am Matt do you want the next big lotto numbers while I'm here Lol.

~Ron

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
In short, rational moderation. Which of course makes sense. During the course of the day I tend to switch from one pipe to another--the Ashton for one bowl, then followed by a Peterson. I'm waiting for my Hardcastle to come back from refinishing--I'll be sure to share a photo of this with you--and I plan to purchase a couple of Petersons in another week (thanks for all the advice about Petersons to ensure I don't get any lemons) and that should give me enough to establish a reasonable rotation.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Pass them along, Ghost, that's the only way I'll ever be able to get a Dunhill. I saw an unattractive Dunhill go for over $200 the other day--ridiculous!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
The main reason to break in a pipe, as Roth noted, is to develop a cake. The cake not only protects the briar, as he noted, but provides for a smoother smoke than bare briar - or, as is now common, the bowl coating. And therein lies the second reason to break in a pipe: to burn off the nasty bowl coatings so many pipes come with. Bowl coatings vary, but at worst they can impart a nasty taste to otherwise fine tobacco.
The good news is that pipes break in all by themselves: you don't have to do anything special or different. Simply smoke them.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Modern pipes don't need a slow and methodical break in because they are pretty well cured -- meaning free of the oils and

resins that could otherwise split a briar if smoked vigorously from the get-go¹. Like Perique said, developing a cake is the

aim with today's break in, and even then, coated bowls can be filled to capacity from day one.
¹ I read this on the internet, so it must be true.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You let a pipe rest for the simple reason that a dry pipe smokes better. How long you should let it rest is a subject of much discussion amongst pipe smokers. Some say 1 bowl and let it rest; others will smoke a pipe all day and then let it rest. I'm of the "one bowl" school, although on occasions I will smoke two bowls. I am definitely not a member of the "well, the old timers smoked the crap out of one pipe and rarely cleaned it" school. That goes right along with the "OTC blend whatever has been around for years, so it must be good" school. Nope, it just means it's easily available and inexpensive.

As somebody pointed out, breaking in happens all by itself. Don't worry about it. :puffy:

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
Along with building cake I think the breaking in process is to learn your pipe. How to pack it, what smokes well in it, how often to tamp just to name a few. So I say the break-in benefits your pipe and your self.
I have done the thirds method and the fill'er up and smoke her method both this year. I did not see a difference in cake build up.
I do believe in the rotation of pipes though. While in Afghanistan I would smoke the same pipe for weeks. Those were some of the wettest, gurgley smokes ever. You should let your briar dry out. If its extremely humid maybe two days, if its dry and hot maybe only a few hours.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People are always harking back to the mythological "codgers" who mostly had only one pipe at a time, and

smoked it most of the day, every day. Having had a thoroughbred codger as a dad, who smoked every pipe

for a few years, all the time, I don't think he did much breaking in of pipes. That is because, he'd smoked the

last pipe until it split or otherwise burnt up. But he did get years out of them. He/we were of mixed ancestry,

but he got a lion's share of Scotch genes, I believe. He'd just pack in as much Granger as would fit, and still

draw, and go at it. That's why he'd put down good money for a pipe, to smoke it. Suggesting he break it in

would have brought out his Irish temper. And if that didn't work, he'd resort to his cold British reserve.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you want to get the best smoke possible then resting a pipe and making sure it is dry will give you that. I personally want to taste my blends at their optimum so I choose to rotate and rest and keep a nice hard cake in my pipes. Tobacco is not cheap so why smoke it in less than optimum conditions?

Aug 14, 2012
The breakin is needed to get rid of the taste of the stain and wax, which disappears as tobacco moisture permeates the briar. When this happens and a little cake develops the pipe tastes better. On an unfinished briar, such as an original Wilke, the breakin eliminates the woody taste. The rotation is to give the pipes a chance to dry.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Hmmm...
Why break in a pipe? Doesn't really matter why. Any pipe you smoke for a prolonged period of time is going to become "broken in".
As far as rotation goes, Jud and Cigrmaster have it right. A rested pipe smokes smoother, cooler, and drier, without a doubt. If anyone believes otherwise, then an experiment of some sort is in order. I look forward to reading your results.
Looking forward to the Scare of the Week, Sparrowhawk. They're very badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.