PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Thinking about buying another grabow since this one is holding up so well. I keep reading about grabows called westbrook. Can anyone shine some light on why they are popular? I seen mars cigars has vintage unsmoked ones for 25 bucks and they seem more reasonable than some new ones. Any help would be appreciated guys.

hfdpipe

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2010
CT
I've seen them offered cheap on several sites and have always passed, I never can find a photo of them.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
thanks for the responses guys . i just wanted to ask on here because if anyone knows something about piping its someone on here. trying to build up enough pipes between cobs and a couple grabows to try resting a pipe. since, im in the beginning stages, i need to build up more tobacco knowledge in my opinion overall.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
teamhavoc28,

don't forget to check ebay for pipe lots. You can get some real quality briar for very little and restoring them is relatively easy and fun. Hell, wallbright can even show you the ropes, he's gotten to be a pro at it.
-Jason

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
This is my Westbrook... I have no idea why they are more sought after!
IMG_3078.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
It's more sought after because it's a damn cool pipe! I'm not usually one for tankard shapes, but I may have to hunt one down now. Does it take a filter or does it use a nasty stinger?
-Jason

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Nice, add it to my list of pipes I want. At least this one should be more in my reach financially than that Gold Spigot Peterson I keep eyeing. LOL!
-Jason

hfdpipe

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2010
CT
nice looking pipe, for some reason every site that I've seen them offered on just lets you pick straight or bent, smooth/rusticated, but there's never a description or pic.

I think they came in other shapes too, not sure though.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
hfdpipe, they come in all shapes and sizes!
The little bit of history that I know is this.. The majority of the Westbrook pipes were bought using a "5 coupons and $2" mail in deal, and the pipes sent back were always striaght pipes (both smooth and rusticated). So when it came to return sales, most of the satisfied customers bought another stright pipe. So it is easier to find striaght Westbrooks and pretty hard to find bents!

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Now I am nosy, I have to check my collection of Grabow since I think I have one or two bent Westbrooks.

hfdpipe

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2010
CT
bubbadreier, interesting info thanks for sharing. I like the color of the spade on that model. So are these pipes from the 80's, 70's or so or even earlier? One thing I just wished was dealers in general gave Grabows a little more respect and told the buyer what shapes they have available, I know it's a PIA for them but it would help them in the long run, specifics lead to purchases.

Speaking of Grabows,I just picked up an unsmoked White Billard shaped Grabow, adjustomatic. I dont know why but I'm a sucker for a white briar pipe, eventhough I know they were complete marketing gimmicks during their day.

1953_kw_white_br.jpg

I think it has something to do with these awesome Kaywoodie Ads. Needless to say it's my holiday pipe, I plan on smoking seasonal aromatics in it for many Christmas's to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.