Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Why Are We Drawn To Pipe-Smoking?

(57 posts)
  1. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

Do we all share a common characteristic or are there
    many different reasons for being drawn to pipe-smoking?

I've always loved the taste of tobacco. I also appreciate
    pipes as aesthetic objects, as, in a sense, wooden sculptures.

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those are precisely the only reasons I've smoked pipes for some 40 years.

Posted 1 week ago #
  3. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

The taste, the ritual, the connection to history. The style and creativity and story behind an old pipe.

I can picture someone on an old ship coming across the Atlantic with a perfect sunset. Enjoying a fine pipe

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. btwes7

btwes7

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Because Great Grampa, Grampa, and Dad did it.

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like smoking. I've always smoked cigarettes, and am trying to lay them off, because the satisfaction they offer is such a short one, followed by the immediate urge for another one.
    I like the flavors of tobacco, the feeling of smoke in my mouth, the nicotine.
    I like the variety, although it also forces me to smoke through some tins of weird stuff sometimes. Don't want to waste it.
    I also like pipes, the same way I like other simple tools, like a hammer or a knife. Or a shotgun. Old, useful designs that work.
    But I like tobacco the most.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  6. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipe may not be a healthiest method of nicotine delivery but, it does the trick. I also chew when in a location smoking is not permitted, airplanes, bars and such. As an aside, a couple of stewardesses have not been happy to dispose of my Styrofoam spittoon from my wee, partitioned living quarters on their plane.

"We're about to land. Do you want to finish that?"

"I'm filling it ... not emptying it."

"Yuck!"

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  7. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Because I tried to smoke salmon and couldn't figure out which end to puff on.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 week ago #
  8. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

It was a much more common practice in my youth and I admired an uncle and some other pipe smokers of the day. The history of tobacco has always been a lure. As Stuart Smiley might say, “and doggone it, I like it!”

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Because I love quality tobacco, and the pipe is (for me) by far the most enjoyable way to consume it.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 week ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

smoke, and tobacco. just love both since as long as i can remember. started smoking at 12. i still like cigarettes, just don't smoke them any more. i do vape while driving, but missed tobacco. i enjoy cigars now and then, but i wanted something cheaper. realized i never smoked pipes before. very satisfying way of enjoying smoke and tobacco.

Posted 1 week ago #
  11. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have no idea why I started, and I'm not sure why I still do.

Honestly no clue.

Meant to be I guess.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I consider myself a pipe smoker who enjoys cigars in the warm months, and I’d say the attraction to the pipe is the ritual. It forces me to slow down.

Dunhill will return.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  13. greatdane

greatdane

Login to Send PM

Ritual for me too. I rarely smoke more than one bowl per day, I don't really care about nicotine. The whole process of preparing the pipe, etc forces me to slow down. Most relaxing part of my day,

Posted 1 week ago #
  14. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

Yes, and this is precisely what nicotine addicts choose to deny!

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me it’s a very simple answer. Because that is where I finally found my people. It’s more about the friendships and relationships than the pipes or tobacco.

Neal
    Posted 1 week ago #
  16. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The flavours, the act of smoking, the pleasure at seeing puffs of smoke come out of my mouth, the rituals involved which highly appeal to my meticulous and methodical nature, practising a manly activity in a gender bender milieu, the pleasure of giving the gov't the finger by engaging in something they hate... there are other things, I guess, but those are the chief ones.

Not really in it for the nicotine. Nicotine doesn't give me the buzz it gives most of you guys, and I've hardly ever gotten a nicotine hit from a pipe, with the exception of a bowl of Ennerdale and accidental inhalation (not pleasant).

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  17. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So many things draw me to pipe smoking. I was looking for an alternative to cigarettes, really. But the bonuses are what really drew me to it. Some of the greatest minds and bravest men have been pipe smokers. Favorite authors, great actors, amazing artists, wizardly characters in books! The list goes on and on! The pipe brings the past to mind in this modern world. You can light up a pipe and be in the 1960's, or back a little more to the 50's, the 40's, the 20's... light up a clay and be transported back to the 1700's in a dark and smokey tavern plotting a revolution and war against the redcoats. The pipe does wonders for my vivid imagination, allowing me pretend again, as a child does. It helps me relax while I enjoy a good book, and helps me transport myself into its pages. Add to that the many different blends, all of which.... most of which taste far better than cigarettes and smell better too. And gives me a reason to take part in a forum such as this. I imagine a cigarette smoker's forum might be quite boring. The feel of warm briar in the hand... it's comforting. The sweet taste of grassy virginias, nutty burleys, plum peppery perique, smokey latakia, tangy and earthy orientals, the sugary sweet aromatics. Sure there are many cigarettes, and many cigars, but there's always been something special about the pipe. This is evident in the fondness others throughout history have had for the pipe with quotes like.... "A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan."
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton

And, "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.'
    Albert Einstein

Personally, I myself would say something like... The pipe has a way of bringing us back into ourselves and a little more out of the loud, confusing, hectic, chaotic, and busy world we live in. It brings us back into ourselves, closer to our souls, and therefore closer to our god. And in that is peace.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 week ago #
  18. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ Great post Anthony...all well and beautifully said.

Posted 1 week ago #
  19. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

I see it as a way to somehow quiet the world.
    I guess it is like yoga in a way, re-finding that balance within yourself.
    Even while smoking with several pipe smokers, I find it so sublime that we can smoke our pipes and be silent together.

Pierre
    Posted 1 week ago #
  20. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah and being an ex-cigarette smoker for many years, the tremendous choices and flavors of pipe tobacco are just brilliant.

Posted 1 week ago #
  21. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Because when I was 17 everyone I knew was smoking cigarettes and I just had to be different.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 week ago #
  22. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

anthonyrosenthal writes:

So many things draw me to pipe smoking. I was looking for an alternative to cigarettes, really. But the bonuses are what really drew me to it. Some of the greatest minds and bravest men have been pipe smokers. Favorite authors, great actors, amazing artists, wizardly characters in books! The list goes on and on! The pipe brings the past to mind in this modern world. You can light up a pipe and be in the 1960's, or back a little more to the 50's, the 40's, the 20's... light up a clay and be transported back to the 1700's in a dark and smokey tavern plotting a revolution and war against the redcoats. The pipe does wonders for my vivid imagination, allowing me pretend again, as a child does. It helps me relax while I enjoy a good book, and helps me transport myself into its pages. Add to that the many different blends, all of which.... most of which taste far better than cigarettes and smell better too. And gives me a reason to take part in a forum such as this. I imagine a cigare
    tte smoker's forum might be quite boring. The feel of warm briar in the hand... it's comforting. The sweet taste of grassy virginias, nutty burleys, plum peppery perique, smokey latakia, tangy and earthy orientals, the sugary sweet aromatics. Sure there are many cigarettes, and many cigars, but there's always been something special about the pipe. This is evident in the fondness others throughout history have had for the pipe with quotes like.... "A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan."
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton
    And, "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.'
    Albert Einstein
    Personally, I myself would say something like... The pipe has a way of bringing us back into ourselves and a little more out of the loud, confusing, hectic, chaotic, and busy world we live in. It brings us back into ourselves, closer to our souls, and therefore closer to our god. And in that is peace.

WOW! What a superb peroration! And every word of it true!

Posted 1 week ago #
  23. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

Even while smoking with several pipe smokers, I find it so sublime that we can smoke our pipes and be silent together.

Interesting perspective, and a profound alternative to the superficial
    notion that we really smoke pipes for the "nicotine hit".

Posted 1 week ago #
  24. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

...being an ex-cigarette smoker for many years, the tremendous choices and flavors
    of pipe tobacco are just brilliant.

Cigarette tobacco is so denatured that, so far as I'm concerned,
    it can't really be considered to be tobacco at all.

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

Because when I was 17 everyone I knew was smoking cigarettes and I just had to be different.

Well, when I was 16 an ounce of pipe tobacco cost the same as
    a packet of 20 cigarettes and would last me a week whereas a
    pack of 20 cigarettes would only last a couple of days. The
    pipe tobacco was also much better tobacco too.

Posted 1 week ago #
  26. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many of these sweeping opinions are obviously written by people who have never smoked a Picayune, Belo Morekanal (a Russian cigarette with a kick, great taste and interesting construction) or, any of the many, so-called, luxury cigarettes. If you've never experienced the richness, the flavor of a Turkish cigarette ... well, you've missed a learning experience.

Cigars, cigarettes and pipe blends vary widely in tobacco grades, flavor and satisfaction. Sweeping generalities, particularly from non-cigarette smokers, are like all "sweeping, all encompassing generalities". They are just simple, baseless ramblings. They should be given the same weight as that of a non-pipe smoker opining on blends or pipe manufacturers.

Posted 1 week ago #
  27. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

So many great reasons listed. It beats getting pissed at people. It give me time to think of a socially acceptable comment and keeps something in my mouth so I don't spout off and regret it later. It doesn't always work. It also makes me look smarter than I am.
    Ash, on Salmon you always start at the head.

Posted 1 week ago #
  28. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dad smoked Granger all the time I was growing up and for some years after. He was a deft smoker and quite charismatic otherwise. Not wanting to imitate him, I didn't smoke at all until I was away from home at school, then just small cigars now and then. I didn't want to imitate the professors with their pipes either. But when I eventually tried a pipe, I found all of the moves were deeply imprinted. I didn't have to learn it. In a sense, I didn't have reasons of my own, I just "came to it honest," as they say in the South about family traits. Though I didn't grow up in the South, just borrowing the phrase.

Posted 1 week ago #
  29. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Because I tried to smoke salmon and couldn't figure out which end to puff on.

Well, you can slice it like a plug, dry it thoroughly, and fold and stuff after a fashion. It's still bloody hard to keep lit.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  30. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Well, when I was 16 an ounce of pipe tobacco cost the same as
    a packet of 20 cigarettes and would last me a week whereas a
    pack of 20 cigarettes would only last a couple of days. The
    pipe tobacco was also much better tobacco too.

Didn't you just recently start smoking a pipe?

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/another-new-to-the-forum#post-1322754

Posted 1 week ago #
  31. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

I began smoking a pipe in 1955, stopped in 1972, and
    began again a few months ago.

Posted 1 week ago #
  32. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

That sounds just like what nicotine does for me.

Sorry Derhammer, just a little joke, nearly stillborn maybe. It's all different for everyone is my thought.

For me, it's all about nicotine. However, choosing a method of nicotine delivery which has the ritual, the taste, the Zen, and all the rest was a choice I'm happy with.

Posted 1 week ago #
  33. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

That sounds just like what nicotine does for me.

+1

When one says a pipe calms and provides relaxation, that's nicotine. Dress it or romanticize it however you want.

Posted 1 week ago #
  34. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When one says a pipe calms and provides relaxation, that's nicotine. Dress it or romanticize it however you want.

I definitely agree that nicotine has that effect...but I disagree that it is the only aspect of pipe smoking that contributes to it.

Posted 1 week ago #
  35. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 for Warren,very true,there were and in some degree still are fine cigarettes out there,Btw,I'm very well familiar with that Russian specialiries'Belomorkanal and other similar Papierosow, but unfortunately I must inform,those Russian specialties' are not the same as they used to be, in the recent years, quality and tastewise those went significantly downhill.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 week ago #
  36. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's disappointing to read Paul. Belomores, in their own way, were quite tasty. That first one in the morning sometimes could take me to my knees. But, cheap and tasty is a great combination.

Posted 1 week ago #
  37. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Warren, Oh Yeh I hear You, Back in the days when CCCP still was live I liked buying cigarettes imported from Cuba, almost no local was buying them because of the strength of tabacos negros'lol

Posted 1 week ago #
  38. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

but I disagree that it is the only aspect of pipe smoking that contributes to it.

That's the dressing and romanticizing part.

Posted 1 week ago #
  39. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's the dressing and romanticizing part.

Well, it's just not an either/or question for me...YMMV.

The relaxation effects of the whole process usually begin for me prior to even lighting up, so I think it's safe to conclude that's not the nicotine.

Is it my imagination? I'd say yes, it is.

Imagination is underrated...and just as real as nicotine. And I have enjoyed its effects since long before I ever discovered nicotine.

But I do love Lady Nic also.

EDIT: I'm also comfortable calling it romanticizing...I think it is also underrated and has a relaxing effect. But it does require some imagination.

Posted 1 week ago #
  40. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

If you meet the Buddha, smoke him.

Posted 1 week ago #
  41. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I saw Buddha in my Dark Bird's Eye smoke this morning.

Posted 1 week ago #
  42. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

It’s a fiddly, oddball habit and I’m a fiddly, oddball guy. Great possibilities for eccentricity and it covers the fact that I’m otherwise rather uninteresting.

Posted 1 week ago #
  43. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

Davek, of course for me it is also about the nicotine. It was just a way of mine to describe the act of pipe smoking
    I mostly agree with you. I mean, every action can mean different things to different people. Every action in our waking lives can have different meanings to the individual. Life is inherently mere semantics when we really think about it, isn't it?

Posted 1 week ago #
  44. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

No family history... All cigarette smokers...

I just started with meerschaums, buying what I could afford and learning a little along the way, yearning for the i Bekler pipes in the glass case that I couldn’t afford - until the day that I could!

Considering that I bought them all, it probably coincided with my first credit card!

But only an occasional smoker nonetheless. Fifty + years later they’ve still never been smoked!

Posted 1 week ago #
  45. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

of course for me it is also about the nicotine. It was just a way of mine to describe the act of pipe smoking

I know. And I tried to mention the other aspects of smoking being important to me as well. So often, discussions online become black and white when things are always holistic. I have Yin Yang out the yinyang.

I actually enjoy chew quite a bit and, being a whole leaf smoker who grows his own, the preparation is hugely easier. I understand that the fermenting/aging is not as necessary since you cook it. However, if I went to chew, I would lose the ritual and that's a biggy to me.

Posted 1 week ago #
  46. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was dragged kicking and screaming to the pipe over 20 years ago by my good buddy Mark aka Hoosierpipeguy. We were both cigar smokers and he somehow found his way to the pipe. He wouldn't stop bugging me until I finally decided to try it. I really enjoyed the different flavors and I am very glad I am still smoking my pipes. I eventually got out of the cigar game over a decade ago.

Harris
    Posted 1 week ago #
  47. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

Taste & aroma

Slowing down and enjoying a quiet time

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 1 week ago #
  48. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

That’s pretty much why I’m smoking more now. It’s my quiet time when I work on my journal (or not, depending on my mood), fuss with my pipes and tobaccos, selecting whichever one suits my fancy and going about the fixin’s to where it’s just about just right and I strike a match. Yeah, slow down, you move too fast...

Posted 1 week ago #
  49. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

As many others have said it’s a way of slowing down the day and calming myself. I have a pretty fast paced and hectic job, working 6-5 Mon-Fri. When I fire up a bowl it all slows down and melts away. I had been looking for something to help achieve this for a while, as I felt myself getting burnt out many days. Taking my work home with me as well as my frustrations was beginning to take a toll. Smoking a pipe helps a lot and I must admit I have really grown to enjoy it.
    Long live the leaf.

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  50. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In degrees, there are as many different reasons as there are pipesmokers. In going to pipeshows, pipe events, and visiting with the many, many forum members over the years, I'd say that we do not share much of any characteristics, except that we like to burn tobacco in pipes. The who, what, when, where, why, and how often are all different.

One of the things that I do love about pipes, is that they bring together men of many different backgrounds; truck drivers, investment bankers, sports broadcasters, musicians, artists, beggars, disabled, old, young, businessmen, communists, terrorists, venture capitalist, right, left, religious, spiritual, heathens, up, down, fat, thin... Luckily, I haven't shared a tobacco with a terrorist... yet, ha ha. But, I'm sure they are out there.;

Michael
    Posted 1 week ago #
  51. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

Who knows? I’m sure they don’t advertise. Besides, one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter...
    It’s been a while, so I might be paraphrasing a bit, but I remember a saying that was attributed to some Arabic freedom fighters, that they had all they needed as long as they had their pipe, their coffee and their Kalishnikov!

Posted 1 week ago #
  52. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

So, I had never smoked anything prior to a few years ago, at age 48.

Never smoked a cigarette, tried a few puffs of a cigar once and hated it. But I had a couple uncles who smoked a pipe, and I always loved the smell, and it reminded me of happy, old nostalgic times.

I love history and old-fashioned things, and the image of pipe smokers from old movies appealed to me--characters in old sci-fi, horror and westerns from the 50's and 60's always seemed to have a pipe in hand.

C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien are two of my biggest literary, intellectual and spiritual influences, and they famously enjoyed their pipes, so that influenced me.

And, as someone who's kind of a foodie and who loves craft beer, as I've gotten into pipe smoking I find the incredible range of brands, blends and flavors that are available to be really enticing and interesting.

Also, the fact that there's some craft and skill involved in the whole thing appeals to me--you generally don't just pack your first pipe and enjoy a good smoke--or at least I didn't. It took me some time to learn the whole process to be able to enjoy it, and that makes things a bit more satisfying, I think.

And finally, the fact that it goes against the grain of the modern collectivist political/social trends appeals to me as well.

I guess that's pretty much it, for me.

Posted 6 days ago #
  53. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ Great post Kyle. I really appreciate everything you said and can relate to most of it. Except I did enjoy cigars for many years before discovering how much more I could enjoy pipe tobacco.

Posted 6 days ago #
  54. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The aesthetic beauty of a well carved piece of wood is enticing. It brings back memories of my youth. I've found over the years, there is something to the Brotherhood of the Leaf. The vast majority of cigar and pipe smokers I've come in contact with have been good people. Very few punks and A-holes. But most of all, because I absolutely enjoy it!

Harris, you are the one that drug me into spending tens of thousands on Cuban Cigars. Converting you to pipe smoking was my payback. I'm not sure you ever got around to properly thanking me. LOL Okay, providing me all that fabulous aged tobacco to smoke when I visited was a great start my friend.

Posted 6 days ago #
  55. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mark, I guess we are even then and thanks for the pipe push. The money we both spent on cigars in any given year was probably the same as getting a 20 year cellar of pipe tobacco.

Posted 6 days ago #
  56. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

Yep! And then you wouldn’ have those fine artistic pipes to admire between times either!

Posted 5 days ago #
  57. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

Thanks, brian64. Yep, lots of reasons it appeals to me.

Posted 3 days ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sigbullet, mso489, aldecaker, donjgiles, papawhisky, elpfeife, sablebrush52, didimauw, jpmcwjr, pitchfork, morgansteele, madox07, marc75, seanv