PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I thought I'd start a thread that's 50% personal observation and 50% starting point for discussion.
It concerns repair & restoration, but in the consumer sense not a technical one, so I thought it belonged here. (mods please relocate if I guessed wrong)
In the pipe repair world, for reasons lost to history, the output of repair shops is viewed as a consumer commodity in the same way as tires, toasters, or cameras. When buying those items, the only difference is who sells them to you and for how much. The quality of the same make & model item is the same at all retail outlets.
In the artisan pipe making world, though, the output of carvers is unique, and each piece is considered individually and priced accordingly.
While the second case is fitting and economically sustainable, the first is not.
There are several reasons why carvers outnumber repairmen by fifty (or more) to one in our hobby, among them being the equipment and inventory requirements. While a carver needs only what's required to create pipes that fulfill a chosen aesthetic, a full-service repairman needs the tools and materials to replicate the work of ALL carvers and brands, both new and old (some go back a century or more), and in every style.
Another reason is the stress of working on someone else's property. It is enormous. There are no "do-overs". Tossing a project into the fireplace when a fatal mistake is made is not an option.
But the main reason is the commodity pricing structure, especially when it comes to replacement stems. No matter the quality or price of the original pipe, there's an expectation that a new stem for it should cost a fixed, nominal amount.
What pipe repairmen do however, is not the same as being a retailer of tires, toasters, or cameras. They sell labor, not merchandise.
In fact, it's not even equivalent labor. Most pipe makers agree that the stem takes as much time to fabricate---sometimes more---than the rest of the pipe. Add to that the second time around, after the stummel is complete and its shape cannot be further modified requires a stem to be made "in a vacuum" to fit that stummel exactly. That is more labor intensive still. Then, often, the labor/time demand is increased yet again by requiring the replacement to exactly match the original. (The original maker didn't have to follow any pattern or meet any particular set of dimensions... whatever simply "looked right" to them became the finished product.)
For the record, and to be 100% clear, I am emphatically NOT criticizing or trying to minimize what "whole" pipe makers do in any way---being truly good at it is insanely difficult and requires having ALL of MANY uncommon skills rolled into a single person. I know any number of them personally, and respect what they do---and am occasionally in awe of what they do---more every day. That their work and business model is more linear and streamlined isn't something they are responsible for creating, it's simply how things are.
It's the combination of those three main things---high financial barrier to entry, working on other people's property, and laborious nature of matching the work of others as opposed to creating it in the first place---that keeps people from entering the repair field (or staying with it for long when they do).
Entire articles have been written about this situation before by highly qualified people, btw. Here's a good one:
http://talbertpipes.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-deadly-trap-of-pipe-repair.html
So, what's my point with all this? It is to take a swing at raising awareness, and thereby, eventually, make the specialty field of pipe repair more attractive to newcomers by encouraging them to adopt a tradesman model of business instead of a fixed-price commodity one. In short, price their work according to time spent instead of by simplified task categories. That's how it has always been for other tradesmen, from plumbers to machinists to welders. Try getting a fixed-price/categorical quote from one of those guys for clearing a blocked drain, machining an antique motorcycle engine part from billet, or repairing a cracked flange on an oil pipeline. Their pricing is, and has always been, based on labor and (when applicable) materials.
I think that such an approach would not only help to attract more repairmen, but, over the long term, would benefit their customers. First, since there would be more of them, turnaround times would improve. Second, because the quality of EVERYTHING in life varies, workmanship included, after a while skill would correspond with cost. Demand would make it so.
Why would that correspondence be a Good Thing when shopping? Consider the following sets of photos. The price paid by the customer was the same for both stems shown in each pair. The lesser quality ones were the result of someone thinking that since all replacement stems cost essentially the same, he might as well go with the closest shop geographically to save on shipping time and postage. Had their maker not been able to hide in the level-pricing-across-the-trade bushes, the customer might have been curious why shops charged different rates, done some digging, and been spared having to buy a second set of replacement stems before he was satisfied.
JeWSGWa.jpg

FeWPDJ7.jpg

nlFB8f6.jpg

xLO8tJa.jpg

AR1oWMV.jpg

8gjnUmi.jpg

poHLgn2.jpg

ufAKxsS.jpg

Your thoughts?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
George, I've had the same conversation with Ronni B. covering some of the same points you've made quite a few times!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
George, I re-posted this elsewhere. It should give people a lot of food for thought. I remember reading, and remembering Trever's blog post quite some time ago.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There are several excellent pipe repairmen around and I have posted my praises of them on this forum on several occasions especially the two I have mentioned who fabricate stems.

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
George, I made a similar observation in another thread, in response to your interview I listened to this morning.
I remember when I first started tig welding, it was very hard to get my foot in the door with a prospective employer, because they were so cautious in hiring a welder with minimal experience. Material is very expensive, and reworking a piece to spec in order to salvage material can be very labor intensive. Once hired, I was under tremendous pressure every time I struck an arc, because I knew if I cost the company money, they would show me the door.
The fact that you are working with wood and vulcanite, makes the sphincter factor even higher.
Personally, I think pipe repairmen should be viewed with skill sets that surpass those of pipe carvers. I certainly mean no disrespect to skilled pipe carvers, but the reality to it, is that it is what it is.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi George, thanks for the thought fodder.
As an amateur pipe restorer, well amateur pipe cleaner really, I appreciate the thoughts you've put to e-paper.
I am an aspiring pipe repair man, a guy who is learning by doing (and by researching; and by talking to other pipe restorers, carvers, collectors) and building up my shop as I do so. I can perform the basic tasks to make a pre-loved pipe safe to smoke again, and make it pretty, and can perform minor repairs. I don't yet have the skills, tools or material to complete repairs like banding or stem turning. But I am working towards a goal of being able to complete those tasks. In a few weeks I will own my first and second lathes, and a French wheel, and I will be receiving instruction in stem production. I'm on the slow and steady track to learning the requisite skills to become a pipe repair man, as I fulfill my employer's and family's needs to put food on the table and a roof over my head by being fully employed outside of the pipe world. Learning these skills is my hobby, and it is slow going.
In addition to refurbishing and re-selling estate pipes, I perform routine cleanups of pipes for guys in my pipe club, and friends who are in need, and those requests are coming from farther and farther afield as the dearth of folks doing pipe repair/restoration/cleaning becomes more prevalent. I'll be honest, I don't charge for the work that I do right now. I have received wonderful gifts of pipes, tobacco, spirits, coffee, food and good will from folks who I have done pipe-work for, but I don't think I'm in a place yet where I'm comfortable hanging out a shingle and charging for work.
I recoup my investment in material and equipment by re-selling estate pipes which I purchase, clean up, and re-sell. I am painfully clear about the condition of these pipes when I re-sell them, and sell at prices which I think are fair given the pipe and the time and material that went into its cleanup.
As to the question, "Where have all the pipe repair men gone?" I think that at least part of the answer lies in the dissolution of the brick and mortar store and the associated industries that supported their operations. Fewer B&Ms leads to fewer pipes feeding the shop of the local pipe repair shop, leads to fewer pipe repair people. Fewer pipe repair people, leads to fewer resources for aspiring pipe repair people, leads to fewer pipe repair apprentices. So not only is the pipeline of work drying up, the funnel of future repair people is shrinking.
On the question of pricing, I like the idea of pricing by the hour with an add for materials. Once a repair person has an understanding of the average time spent on a job, estimating the cost of a repair should be fairly straightforward. Now, whether or not this would work as a competitive pricing strategy depends entirely on whether the pricing offered is competitive with the pricing of repair folks who are pricing by the job.
The other thing to consider in any pricing strategy is the quality of the work. I have a feeling that an excellent repair person who does first rate quality work consistently will never be out of work, regardless of how they price their jobs.
Thanks for the morning thought starter, George.
-- Pat

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Although I never did the work on the scale that you and other well known repairmen do I did do refurbs, restorations and some repairs for about 2 years. I got out of it for two reasons. Firstly, the pay sucked, and secondly it was taking up too much of my time. I decided that at my age I did not want or need a full time job which is what it was turning into.

I'm like Pruss in that I started off doing refurbs for friends as a hobby.After a while as a few folks saw my work they contacted me about working on their pipes and it just kinda ballooned (slowly) from there. I invested quite a bit of money ( what I consider to be "quite a bit") in tools and some materials although some of that was geared toward pipe and tamper making as well.
I priced my work by checking out what the well know repairman charged. Try to get an average and charge below that,figuring since I was unknown I couldn't expect to get what they did. Had I stayed with it I probably could have raised those prices and the pay wouldn't have sucked so badly!
Most of the folks I did work for were great but there was a few who would want to know why I was charging $XX.XX for a replacement stem blank that cost $2.50 to $5.00 or why it cost so much to refinish a beat to death pipe they only paid $15.00 for.

It seems to me that a large majority of pipe smokers have no idea of the nature of the work or the time involved to do it,even something as simple as replacing a stem with a molded blank--which really ain't that simple. Not to mention packing and shipping,answering emails,sending photos.............
Now, most of the refurb/repair work I do is on my own pipes although I still do some work for a few good friends.
If I were a younger man and knew what I know now--I wouldn't even think about getting in to it!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
George, I couldn't agree more. Compensation for the repairman should reflect time, material costs and quality of craftsmanship. Unfortunately the work of the repairman like the work of the art conservator, often goes undervalued. It's not that the work does not demand perhaps an even higher skill and understanding than the initial creation, it's that the public at large has little appreciation for that. Like many on this forum I dabble in pipe restoration (for myself only and to a limited degree). It's that experience that lets me appreciate the talent and workmanship required to get quality results and without it there is no way to understand what is involved or the skill required. To some degree repairman seem driven not by the economics but rather by the challenge. They find the work gratifying (the good ones). They just take what they can get in the marketplace as compensation. But I do agree that the Craftsman's model is probably a good first step. Semper Fi

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It appears to me that the money simply isn't there, which is why so many repairable items are usually junked and a new replacement bought. There isn't the volume of business, and there isn't the willingness to pay at a level that would reach well beyond minimum wage. I suspect a few pipe repairmen who are tapped into the highest priced pipe market can make a respectable living repairing pipes that sell for hundreds or thousands, but many repairmen seem to be people with another source of income who enjoy the work and are only supplementing income. If the tobacco pipe interest surges, the ranks of repairmen might expand, but for now, it's an select and small group. A little like gunsmiths -- two years to find one, and two for the job to wait in the shop. Or electronics repairs, etc. At least pipe repairmen seem to be able to turn a job around in weeks, which is pretty nice.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There's little or no money to be made. Simple economics. Only so many can be supported. Short of a restoration many pipe smokers prefer doing their own repairs. Just get the pipe smokable. Too few are concerned with the aesthetics of the repair. I do not need to repair a chewed through Peterson P-lip. I either order a new one or move a good bit between a couple of pipes. A cracked shank on a briar can sometimes be mended with a bit of tape, wire, etc.
If I break one of the expensive or dearer pipes in my accumulation I'd look for good repairman. Otherwise I'd just cobble together a home repair on the less expensive or simply replace the pipe when possible.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
These days the old adage "you get what you pay for" doesn't always hold up...
It was never true.
The adage should be, "You rarely get more than you pay for."

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
When I send something out for repair, I send it to reputable professionals, recommended by this site.

I don't search for "cheapest", I ask the recommend how much & send it to them.

Always been happy.

I didn't need cleaning, I needed repairs.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
When I send something out for repair, I send it to reputable professionals, recommended by this site.

I don't search for "cheapest", I ask the recommend how much & send it to them.

Always been happy.

I didn't need cleaning, I needed repairs.
"Happy" being the variable, for sure. (the weaker stems in those pics were made by a shop that gets recommended often around the Net)

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Same reason there's no more knife repairmen anymore. Most grown men now open packages with their car keys like the typical modern sissies. Same way no one uses handkerchiefs anymore, they'd rather just wipe their brow with a "performance" polyester shirtsleeve. No one enjoys nostalgia and tradition anymore, and there's no money to be made. Also because there a fewer pipe smokers due to the tree huggers convincing the world they may live two more years if they don't smoke. Wer're a dying breed, period. Sorry I sound like an old crank, but then again I am one.
I don't sound discontent with modern society, do I? :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Nope! Not a bit. Seems most people these days are discontented with something. Smokers are wary of non-smokers. Teenagers are not real big on adults (nothing new there). Peterson smokers are constantly having to defend their choice of pipes. Cob smokers are looked down on by everyone else. Non-cob smokers are treated with disdain by cob smokers.
I do believe the winter of our discontent is nearly upon us. Great book, mediocre movie.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Pruss,

Good on you! As times goes your skill base will continue to grow and one day you will be one of those rare breed of skilled individuals with a unique skill set that will be in high demand.

One day I will be able to say to my great grand children, "See this pipe, it was restored by a master craftsman from Ontario."

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
For me personally, there are 2 reasons I don't do repairs:
1) George has set the bar too high... I will never be worthy...
2) I barely have enough time to fix my own mistakes, much less someone else's...:)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It's of interest that you show what appear to be Dunhill stems. While I'm sure that a perfectly acceptable and high quality Dunhill replacement stem can be crafted, I'm of the impression that there is only one US shop that handles Dunhill raw stem materials. (ebonite?) ergo, a truly authentic Dunhill stem replacement can be purchased from a US Crafstman. The guy is 74 yrs young and seems to like his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.