Why Are So Many Pipes So Darn Expensive?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcluvinmypipe

Lurker
May 8, 2014
The other day I received a bonus check for $50 just for me.I have been wanting to go to my local pipe store for awhile I was about due.I realized $50 would not get me anything to extravagant,I just wanted to walk out with maybe an estate pipe or possibly a good economically priced pipe.To my surprise I encountered two dilemmas,the estate pipes behind the counter were at least $80+ and the economical were corn cobs for $5-$10.New pipes started at about $65,$50 dollars just was not going get me a pipe.I changed my thinking and bought an ounce of Balkan Supreme instead.I was kind of bummed out.I usually order from Amazon or ebay and get really good pipes for the price.I was just hoping to walk out of the brick and mortar with a nice pipe in my pocket.I have respect for pipe makers and their craft and can understand why they might request a higher price for their work what gets me is why are estate pipes behind the counter so darn expensive?
--------------------------

LAST WARNING
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
You can find bargains if you look around for them. I have paid several hundred dollars for a pipe and I have got some that were $30-40 pipes that are good smokers. If I want to get a pipe from my B+M then I know I'll be looking at 25-50% more then I'll pay at one of the online vendors here. Normally if I get a pipe from my B+M its because its an estate that I know isn't gonna last long, last one was a Peterson African meer that I got for $100. Best price? Probably not but I just had to have it. lol

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I've had pretty good luck with pipe sellers on Etsy. The vendors I've worked with tend to be far more forthcoming about faults and are a lot more communicative all through the sales process. I should think $50 is more than sufficient for an excellent quality smoking pipe, if not a looker.
As to the value of aesthetics, well, I do like to admire the beauty of my pipes, but when flame meets leaf all I think about is the burn.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Etsy and Ebay are the ways to go if you are looking to score a good pipe for $50.
Once you are better known here on the Forum there are often times pipes for sale on HERE that are under $50 that would be great smokers as well.
That or put it aside and add to it and buy a really good pipe in a couple months.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Because the vast majority of smokers do not smoke pipe and neither does a very large section of the public. It's a specialty good made by fewer and fewer (unless we are talking the recent artisan boom) companies. The wood used is expensive comparatively and to smoke well, they need to have a minimum level of engineering. The truth is, $100 for something like a Savinelli is a good deal but I can understand the frustration of not having the scratch. Cobs work great for their price point and I would use one while putting aside a bit here and there. If you get a Johs for $80 dollars, you will likely have a good smoking pipe that should last decades if properly cared for. You can definitely find estates for $50 but you might have to go to places like ebay. The estates people are generally after might not be really cheap but they are often excellent pipes and many were made in a time when quality workmanship was more common.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
This is something I have always wondered myself, for example, Dunhill Pipes are machine made. They spit them out off the production line without any real sweat and love being put into them like a handmade pipe, yet they are one of the most expensive pipes around, even the estates. You are paying for the name as with so many other items on the market. It is the same quality briar you get from a good craftsman where you could get a pipe made of your own design for the same $400-500. I can't see myself buying a Dunhill when I can get a beautiful Wathen cheaper. A Wathen "Reflection", now there is a pipe that would be the pride of a collection.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
You know, the other day, I was at Rite-Aid, of all places, and they had a selection of Dr. Grabow pipes that were in the $50 range. I've become a real Grabow aficionado, because all the ones I have are great smokers, they look good, they last, and they don't break the bank.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
All pipes, estates included, cost what they do because that's what people will pay for them. That is the beginning, middle, and end of the economics of pipe prices, and all other commodity prices as well. Do you think the 10K price on an artisanal masterpiece is absurd? Don't buy it. Don't trust the quality of a $19.95 "basket" pipe? Don't buy it. Don't like the looks of cobs for 5-10 bucks? Don't buy one. Don't like the price on a $700 Dunhill? Don't buy that either.
What actually exists is a huge range of pipes/prices that will fit anyone's budget with the bonus that there is no corporate cabal or monopoly that is controlling prices. The sometimes infuriating fact is that pipes cost what they cost, period. To say however that one cannot find a "good" pipe for a low price is simply flat wrong. A 5-10 dollar cob offers smoking qualities that can rival briars costing ten times a much, or more. Buy a cob or cheapo briar. Smoke it. Learn. Enjoy a remarkable pastime. Save for a nicer/prettier/cooler looking pipe. Repeat as necessary.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I can't offer an opinion on the quality of Dunhills or any other high priced pipe as I don't (and probably won't) own any. Maybe that's why I'm happy (so far) with all my sub $100 pipes. 8)

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
As ever, in the free market system, it's whatever the market will bear. As long as people are shelling out exorbitant amounts of money for these pipes, the price point will remain the same, or appreciate until no one buys them. If someone selling a high-end pipe can command those kinds of prices, then more power to 'em.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The guy running your B&M has costs that the guy selling off Ebay does not. He pays rent, utilities, and all the other costs of running a store.

I'm gonna go down to my local B&M next week and see if I can find myself a Christmas pipe. Been a while. (I do support him regularly buying his house blends, cleaners, and an occasional stogie.)

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have 2 Ser Jacopos that I purchased on ebay, a rusticated bent dublin coral dot and a flame grain bend dumblin compta. The Coral dot was 93 and the Compta was 107. Those are the most expensive pipes that I own, and that includes a few Stanwells and a couple Petersons, a Butz, and a whole slew of basket pipes (kaywoodies, grabows, yellobole, etc)
You can find marvelous smokes without spending a fortune.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
This one is only $45
http://briarblues.com/kw012.htm
As with this one
http://briarblues.com/kw014.htm
And another
http://briarblues.com/kw068.htm
Another $45 pipe (Savilleni)
http://briarblues.com/kw068.htm
Well worth browsing these pipes, I found these ones in 2 minutes.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
LAST WARNING
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin
PSSST, Voice of God giving you a Hint :rofl: ...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are a number of good quality briar pipes in the $50 range, some a little less. A few examples

would include P&C's brushed black and brown Stanwell's at $49.95; an array of Chapuis-Comoy pipes

in various shapes from Tobaccopipes.com; unstamped BC pipes at the end of the selection at

Cup o Joes; Ewa pipes at Iwan Ries (these are small but fine smokers). These are just a few examples.

If you watch for sales and discounts at various online retailers, there are plenty to choose from. I enjoy

putting a little more or a lot more into a pipe for various reasons, but there is a world of good smoking

available at the modest price level. Stick to well-known makers and established retailers and you'll do fine.

Brick and mortar retailers deserve our support but are seldom the place to go for maximum bang for the buck.

Don't go for no-name pipes sold as packages with tobacco; you don't know what you're getting.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I wander through the flea markets, check antique stores, you never know what you may find.
I also bought a couple of good used pipes on this forum from "Gary" (the Kaywoodie guy)in Artesia New Mexico. $25.00 each, and just $5.00 each for international shipping. I was very pleased because they were in great condition and smoke wonderfully!
Patience my friend, the deals are out there!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
And Trailboss, I darn near threw out my Dunhills and Ardors after smoking the cob that came with that oh-so-sterling tobacco! I think everybody should own a Pipa pipe or three! :nana: :crazy:
Kidding aside, the other fellas have well pointed out how to get a decent pipe at a reasonable price. Now, it's up to you to take advantage and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.