PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Why are pipes leather wrapped?

To insulate the hands from heat maybe? I want to feel how hot my bowl is getting..

Seemed to be kinda popular back in the day.

Just wondering....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think your insulation idea was probably the rationale, but I think it was mostly visual, eye candy, with the emphasis on tweedy and professorial. I remember when those pipes were a big fashion on the train platforms of suburban Chicago. A very swanky look with the narrow lapels and neckties and narrow snap brim hats, lining up for the smoking cars. Those were the days.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Hiding flaws is the obvious reason. The other is they sell, there is a market.
My first pipe, 1965, was a meer lined, leather covered Ropp, which smoked like a dream. I was a very lucky neophyte pipe smoker. I still miss that pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I miss my leathery one, too. No idea now of the manufacturer nor how I came to lose the pipe itself. Might have bought it in Chicago.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've got an encased 7 day set of Longchamps from the early 70's and the leather really insolates the bowls big time. They all smoke great and I don't think the briar is inferior at all. Longchamp was the first pipe I ever purchased back in 1983.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The briar under a wrap is most likely solid, just lacking visual appeal. I think this is particularly true with pipes from reputable makers. They're not putting their name on crap, just trying to get the most out of the briar they purchased.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Lack of eye appealing grain & lots of fills probably meant it was less labor intensive to wrap it in leather rather than fill & stain to finish.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i still have my leather bound pipe from the early 60's - cant find a name but even today it smokes great - the leather is dark from age -

i smoked erinmore exclusively in it & still do even today - i only wish the erinmore of today was as good as then. - even today's flake is not as good.

when i didnt smoke for years i would take up the pipe for the ghost taste & even today it still holds the flavour of the erinmore days after smoking.

i bought a leather bound cheapy a year ago for nostalgia but is is horrible.

savinelli has a line of very pricey leather bounds of varying colors but the 60;s i have is straight brown as leather should be.

some of the briar is exposed where the leather dried & opened along the stitching - no marks of any type no blemishes.
ah - the good old days - a couple of months ago i spotted an old codger with his pipe walking along happy as a pig in ... - believe it or not it was still his only pipe - it looked it but boy was he happy - we talked half an hour about his early pipe days - not many of those guys left.

i am 70 & he was just less than 90 according to him but probably over 90 - not that many blends to choose from back then.

just about the only place to smoke now up here in toronto canada is the sidewalk.
happy smoking guys

Status
Not open for further replies.