PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotechjoe

Lurker
Mar 25, 2016
Pavel Gorbunov's pipes are expensive. Why? Because they are beautiful, in high demand, and worth it. I just wish I could afford one. Good Lord, if I could build a pipe, these are what they would look like. I just can't imagine the taste of a fine tobacco in one of these works of art.

https://pgpipes.wordpress.com/

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
They are beautiful pipes but I don't know how prices are decided. He really has not been making pipes all that long so I wonder what makes his pipes worth their current price point. They aren't outlandish but we all know makers who offer equally beautiful pipes for less money. Oh well, good for him and I wish him much success.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Is this where we find out that lotechjoe is actually Pavel, secretly plugging himself?!
That would be awesome!
Nice pipes!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, nice looking. And, as said, there are a number of American carvers who put out less expensive pipes equally well made and good looking.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I don't see any pricing at all on his available pipes. Am I having browser issues?
I checked with some of his retailers- it looks like he's around $500+ for a blast...

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Meh. If any of the current crop of artisans are around in 10 or so years, I might give one of their creations a try at the prices they are asking. Until then, I'll spend my money with people who have earned their price and reputation. Castello, Ferndown, Rinaldo, etc all worked a long time, paid a lot of dues and churned out a lot of quality pipes to get where they are.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, diff strokes, diff folks. Finding a great young carver is a bit like discovering the next Picasso in his early years.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
@jpmcwjr-- I agree! There's a ton of overlooked talent out there. A lot of my collection exists of new(ish) pipes from new(ish) pipe makers. They all smoke great for different reasons.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Meh, a bit amateurish. They lack the élan of the danish inspired russian pipes they emulate. The bent's lack flow, particularly. The stains clash rather than accentuate the detail of his blasting on pg14. The rim stain is untidy on all pipes. The blasting is ok, but not exceptional. The stem's do look well executed, but the polishing is difficult to gauge due to reflections and exposure issues in the photos. Might be great.
Looking at these pipes with no foreknowledge I would expect them to be priced on todays inflated market at @ $175-275 usd. Five years ago a yeoman carver like Andrew Staples, for example would be looking for a market for such pipes in the $150-250 range. Staples pipes at the time were superior to these pipes imho. For todays new-ish carvers I would put these below Scotty Piersel at nearly half the cost.
So to the question as to why they are so expensive my answer from this vantage point is who cares? I might be tempted to find out if the pipes were priced on par with their perceived value which I would set to about 33% of retail.
Thank you Pavel for soliciting feedback.
Pavel, you may want to consider an inexpensive macro lens, rather the 50mm. There are a few good options from nikon but also 3rd party makers such as sigma, and you can even go for a manual focus lens to save on cost. Keh.com is a great resource.
Shooting at f11 isn't giving you much exposure latitude and your blowing out a lot of detail in the highlights. I would suggest opening up a few stops. Your lens should be fine at f5.6. Lastly, I think you could reduce some of the glare by repositioning your flash a bit higher and behind, or by adding a diffuser at the minimum. If you could fire into an umbrella that might be ideal. Good luck!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Or forgo flash completely. Soft natural light is superb. Blowouts—and by that I mean highlights that are too extensive—can be blocked to good effect, by body positioning or placing something between the light source and object.
The new iPhones are just fine for photos of a few pipes at a time. YMMV.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bigpond, interesting discerning analysis. A third of my pipes are low-enders, so I don't have quite the eye. The Pavels look elegant to me. I'm glad someone can pay the price. We'll see what he does in the future.

pgpipes

Lurker
Jun 3, 2016
Hi Guys, sorry for my English, it's not my mother language, and maybe I understand not clearly, so SORRY in advance.
Answering to lotechjoe post - " Pavel Gorbunov's pipes are expensive. Why? Because they are beautiful, in high demand, and worth it. I just wish I could afford one. Good Lord, if I could build a pipe, these are what they would look like. I just can't imagine the taste of a fine tobacco in one of these works of art."
As I see from your post, the key idea is " I just wish I could afford one.". Have you wrote me a question directly asking the price, or ordering? Think - no. Or if yes -have you offered the price you could afford? Really NO - I don't have ANY QUESTION FROM YOU. Due to pricing of my pipes. I discuss price individually with buyer if he really want to buy pipe or order. You have to understand, that prices could differ buying from me directly and prices in eshops, where money are earning by two sides - carver and shop. As a example – I really want to buy new Toyota, but have money only for an old Renault, but I dong go to the open area and complain, why Toyota is so expensive for me. Then, what about Lexus and Mercedes you‘ll say?

P.S. I coudn't understand, why you decided to ask such question firstly here, but not asking me. Lots of answers here - just opinions not seeing my pipes in reality, only on pictures.
Answering to bigpond:

„Looking at these pipes with no foreknowledge I would expect them to be priced on todays inflated market at @ $175-275 usd. Five years ago a yeoman carver like Andrew Staples, for example would be looking for a market for such pipes in the $150-250 range. Staples pipes at the time were superior to these pipes imho. For todays new-ish carvers I would put these below Scotty Piersel at nearly half the cost.“

As I see, you don‘t understand pricing in such area. Imagine price of 175 USD. Working with dealers, mostly is using 50/50 scheme. So, I have to get 175/2 > 87,5 USD for the pipe. And what about briar, ebonite, tools, work costs, workshop costs an so on? Is it for free, you think? In that case, I earn less even than eshop, as it has only shipping. It’s not the mass production on the plant. It’s a author's work, costs are different.

And prices 350-500 USD for author's work, think is NORMAL AVERAGE price. There are lots of pipemakers, who started at similar time and have higher prices than I.

And your example – „yeoman carver like Andrew Staples“... sorry is not correct example. If you take this example as a really good, sorry, you are not the good expert in pipes. But it is disscussable not in open area. As a customer, I will never buy such pipes....

I just coud said, that some carvers after 10-20 year don‘t have real growth, progress. And saying that the price depends on the years pipemaker is carving pipes.... I‘ve saw some pipes of such carvers and coud say – that was one of the reasons, why I startet carving pipes, as I disliked the quality of them, and they costed more than 500 USD.
Answering to peckinpahhombre „I don't see any pricing at all on his available pipes. Am I having browser issues?“

You had to see „Feel free asking prices via email gorbunoff.pipes@gmail.com“ – so, really feel free asking, Page is not shop, only BLOG, as I said, I discuss prices individually with real buyer.
Answering to lochinvar - „Meh. If any of the current crop of artisans are around in 10 or so years, I might give one of their creations a try at the prices they are asking. Until then, I'll spend my money with people who have earned their price and reputation. Castello, Ferndown, Rinaldo, etc all worked a long time, paid a lot of dues and churned out a lot of quality pipes to get where they are.“

The same story.... if you don‘t see the differensce between manufactured pipes and athor work, it is really better for you to buy „Castello, Ferndown, Rinaldo...“

pgpipes

Lurker
Jun 3, 2016
Hi, sorry for my English, is not my mother language, so maybe some posts or places were understood incorrectly. My name is Pavel Gorbunov, found this topic by clicks of my page is mentioned here from my page visiting statistic.
Answer to Clickklick:

Is this where we find out that lotechjoe is actually Pavel, secretly plugging himself?!

That would be awesome!
So, you think, I am 10-years-old-boy to play such games creating accounts and praise myself??? Maybe, you are such person, so that’s why you are measuring other people by you. Don’t insult my name in such key, OK!?
Answer to peckinpahhombre:

I don't see any pricing at all on his available pipes. Am I having browser issues?

Opening the page, the first sentence is “Feel free asking prices via email gorbunoff.pipes@gmail.com”.

So, feel free asking price writing me via email if you really interested to by pipe.
Answer to lochinvar:

Meh. If any of the current crop of artisans are around in 10 or so years, I might give one of their creations a try at the prices they are asking. Until then, I'll spend my money with people who have earned their price and reputation. Castello, Ferndown, Rinaldo, etc all worked a long time, paid a lot of dues and churned out a lot of quality pipes to get where they are.

If you really don’t see difference between manufactured pipes and authors pipes, made by pipemakers, buying only “brands”, so keep buying them, this is the best way for you, and the highest point in your career would be Dunhill. And you really think that price directly depends on years pipemaker is carving pipes? As I see, some carvers and after 20 years staying more or less at the same level witout any progress.
Answer to bigpond:

Meh, a bit amateurish. They lack the élan of the danish inspired russian pipes they emulate. The bent's lack flow, particularly.

So, I MUST make full bents? I make pipes as I SEE, not you, not other, I have MY vision of pipes, so you could do pipes as YOU SEE, ok? Most part of pipesmokers knows, that the straightest smoke canal provides best cold and dry smoking.
The stains clash rather than accentuate the detail of his blasting on pg14.

WHERE you found pipe with such number PG14? This only shows, that you are looking trough fingers, and writing in same manner.
The rim stain is untidy on all pipes.

On all? Totally disagree. And as I see you writing numbers of my pipes, you were looking not attentively.
The blasting is ok, but not exceptional.

And what do you mean exceptional? Made “great rings”? but loosing shape at the same time? I see lots of pipes, where this is done perfectly, and as a result – pipe with damaged shape, but rings are great.
The stem's do look well executed, but the polishing is difficult to gauge due to reflections and exposure issues in the photos. Might be great.

Here you don’t see normaly, but on stummels you see perfectly….. Great vision.
Looking at these pipes with no foreknowledge I would expect them to be priced on todays inflated market at @ $175-275 usd. Five years ago a yeoman carver like Andrew Staples, for example would be looking for a market for such pipes in the $150-250 range. Staples pipes at the time were superior to these pipes imho. For todays new-ish carvers I would put these below Scotty Piersel at nearly half the cost.

Sorry, but if you take such carvers as a good example, your knowledge in this area are not the best, not even good. And you don’t understand totally pricing in this area. Simply take the price range of your “$175-275 usd” and compare pipes in this range before evaluating other. MOSTLY you’ll find here MANUFACTURING mass production pipes. And you are speaking then about others without understanding? Speak with dealers about agreements between pipemakers and dealers in case of how much percent earns two sides, and you’ll find out, that your pricing is absurd. Wish you smoking only pipes at that price and only the carvers you’ve mentioned above due to your knowledge.
Thank you Pavel for soliciting feedback.

WHEN and WHERE I asked you or others for any feedback? Or you simply decided as member clickklick? Saying the same to you as I did above - Don’t insult my name in such key, OK!? I have really professional persons who helps me to progress, who really understands, high-grade pipemakers, and totally – people who have my pipes, and could comment them seeing in reality.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Totally unsolicited advice for pgpipes:
Don't get all pissy and so defensive, as a newcomer and especially as one who presumably wants to sell his work.
It is customary in this country to show prices up front, i.e., on the webpage.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.