PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
One word: brand.
They (mostly) make a good pipe but you are paying a significant upcharge for the name. It's like a Rolex - many watches have far more intricate and sophisticated Swiss movements and (dare I say) are far better watches, but the Rolex name has cachet, so some pay for it.

Reactions: Dallas Wynn

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The glory of the name, highly respectable quality (but reference our own foggy' for "some are better than others"), historical luster, and the reassurance that you have a really classy pipe, even for people who don't know a great deal about pipes. I am over-confidant enough to "think" (opine) that I could get get three pipes of equal quality for the $795 Dunhill asks for a number of its pipes, and not the most expensive -- like pipes produced with Dunhill knowhow by Ashton and Ferndown. But I haven't smoked a Dunhill and don't own one, so, in fact, I don't know. I'm just not going shopping for an estate Dunhill for $285. I know you can find them for less, but that gets tricky -- replacement stems and repair questions. But if your heart is set on a Dunhill, and you work at it, you can find one that smokes well and doesn't cost $500. My heart isn't set on a Dunhill.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
There is a long history of quality and tradition that has survived over the years allowing for such a large increase of prices. Whether the quality currently matches past quality is often debated. You get a lot of both sides. I think they are quality pipes and love them, but only buy them if I can find a good price. I just found a new 5102 shell and a 5 pipe bag the local shop is selling to me for 450 for both. This is a huge discount and amazing price. Thing it would be over 1k at retail. For the most part I buy Ferndown , Ashton, Askwith, and Northern Briars much less then dunhill retail.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
To me it falls into they want to control who can afford one to protect their high class image. To be honest it is a chunk of Briar with Two holes. I also want one, estate of course, just to see if the hype is correct. It is hard to believe that they are better than my Layton pipes. But I am curious m...although curiosity killed the cat.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Alfred marketed his products to those with money as a step above from the very beginning. He wasn't aiming for the "every man". Of course, fill free bowls don't grow on trees either.
Mike S.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
So that pipe forums around the world will have something to argue about forevermore.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Warren your correct. But high prices keep a certain group of peoplethat cannot afford it. Which is exactly what they want. Keeps the classes seperated. I did not say it was a bad just what they do. Like Rolex, Jaguar, Ferrari, Gently, yachts, etc etc. Keep out the "riffraff" and protect your upper class reputation.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Why are Dunhill pipes so expensive?
Because when the machine at Dr. Grabow that cuts out the spade shape malfunctions and starts cutting out white dots, it is expensive to repair.

Reactions: karam

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In some of our Forums historical discussions, I think it was pointed out that Kaywoodie pipes used to be more expensive than Dunhills. I think this may have been in the early fifties, maybe earlier. They were never low-end, but were not out of reach of the majority of pipe smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.