Who's the Stem/Tenon Repair Jedi Around Here?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My Big Ben eBay pipe came in broken. Shame, it's almost new and looks nice.
I got the price refunded and I want to send it off to a repair person.
Thanks!
big-ben-tenon-600x337.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I had a magnum Ruthenberg XXL twith a broken tenon that Mike Myers at Walker Pipe Repair replaced expertly. He has done quite a bit of work for me, all of which I have been very satisfied with.
Mike Myers

Walker Pipe Repair

On Facebook: Walker Pipe Repair, LLC

Telephone: 734-945-1691

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Should be a dead easy fix, looks like a delrin 9mm filter sleeve, pretty common stuff.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have used Walker Pipe Repairs in the past and he does excellent work. I tried to get George to work on my pipes but he told me he only works on pipes valued in the tens of thousands of dollars and that my crappy American artisan pipes are beneath him. I even begged George but he just laughed in my face and told me I was a piker. He said when I get some real pipes in my collection to give him a call. He really hurt my feelings.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have used Walker Pipe Repairs in the past and he does excellent work. I tried to get George to work on my pipes but he told me he only works on pipes valued in the tens of thousands of dollars and that my crappy American artisan pipes are beneath him. I even begged George but he just laughed in my face and told me I was a piker. He said when I get some real pipes in my collection to give him a call. He really hurt my feelings.
Now Harris, you made that up, didn't you. George is always happy to work on anything I send him. My plastic bubble pipe has never worked better!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jesse,

Now Harris, you made that up, didn't you. George is always happy to work on anything I send him. My plastic bubble pipe has never worked better!
Wow he also play favorites. George, why don't you like me?
k9shag, I would have to sell ten of them to be able to buy a pipe that George would agree to work on.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Well, Jesse told ME that MY Barling was fake (but he was right).
Synopsis on OP. George helped me determine that idiot previous owner likely shot adhesive all over the place, trying to disguise the damage. Physics dictates that glue has sucked into the area between the briar and broken portion of tenon, making for poor cost/benefit ratio of paying for professional repair.
However, I have oodles of free time and many small implements of destruction, so I will casually attempt to file/cut/chisel/drill/chew the old tenon from the stummel over the next month of Sundays, then I will seek professional stem repair and fitment.
Mr. Dibos, please correct me if I have misinterpreted or misrepresented the gist of our PM interaction.
Since the original purchase WAS for science, I will keep you abreast of my victories and defeats in this endeavor.
jay-roger.jpg

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
So , I have a couple of pipes with same issue.
What is the range of costs to fix this basic problem?
if it is an expensive pipe is it more?

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Best take it to someone other than George. He's way too busy fixing the very difficult stuff he has now. You want George when you have a REAL problem. Oh, and the money to fix it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Anthony is definitely who I'd send my stuff to if I couldn't work on it myself.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Synopsis on OP. George helped me determine that idiot previous owner likely shot adhesive all over the place, trying to disguise the damage. Physics dictates that glue has sucked into the area between the briar and broken portion of tenon, making for poor cost/benefit ratio of paying for professional repair.
However, I have oodles of free time and many small implements of destruction, so I will casually attempt to file/cut/chisel/drill/chew the old tenon from the stummel over the next month of Sundays, then I will seek professional stem repair and fitment.
Mr. Dibos, please correct me if I have misinterpreted or misrepresented the gist of our PM interaction.
I think you understand the situation exactly. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.