PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
When you pass, who's getting your stash?
Most of us probably have more than enough tobacco to last us 2x (maybe 10?) our lifespan.
Who do you want your pipe tobacco cellar to go to? Or perhaps even your pipes?
Or perhaps you want to be burned on your pile.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Always wise to have things in order, especially when you're young and healthy and look forward to many decades ahead, just to have it in mind. Leave instructions to your estate (spouse, family, whoever) on any possessions that require special attention. In the case of pipes and tobacco, a list of several reputable dealers who could sell these on commission, but also leave instructions for any specific legacy pieces to be given to family and friends. Someone like pipestud could get the most out of pipes and tobaccos; he has the contacts and the customer base. Just make sure it is someone who is in regular business, not just a piping friend. Likewise, leave complete instructions on funeral/memorial service -- who speaks, what music, etc. This will make it much easier on your next of kin. Okay. Enough about that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No worries. Should be some real value in my leavings, and my executor is not a pipe smoker, so he'll have fun selling off the pile.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
It's a bit early for me to be thinking of such things ... but ... ok, I guess I would leave power of attorney to a friend from the local club in order to sell everything in the benefit of my inheritor. It would be better than ending up in storage boxes, or thrown away, because my surviving family has little clue to the items' value.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
If I had any relatives or friends who wanted any of it for their personal use, them. I don't really have many pipes or tins that could bring in much money if I passed right now, but maybe I will by the time I pass. In which case, I'd probably follow Mso's advice, and leave instructions to turn to folks like The Stud or Pulver or other well-regarded folks who handle these types of things.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I have an inherent minimalist streak, and I thinks it's partially due to my horror at the thought of friends and family wasting their time rooting through all of my old junk when I pass.
I actually came across an article not long ago that delved into this subject.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/your-money/aging-parents-with-lots-of-stuff-and-children-who-dont-want-it.html
Back when I worked at a decent department store, they shut down their entire China/Crystal Stemware department. Tastes change, and young people don't want to lug too-nice-to-use dishes around from apartment to apartment and city to city. (I moved five times in four years after college.)

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I pity whoever has the job of packing off all the belongings my wife and I have accumulated in our sizable 2 story house after we're both gone.

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
I am young enough to hopefully not have to worry about that for decades to come, but since life is unpredictable I have left suggestions for places that my pipes and tobaccos could be sent for consignment in the event of an untimely death. Whether or not those handling my affairs want to actually take the trouble to do this is up to them.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Tobacco will probably be thrown out. My Altinok Santa Claus meerschaum will go to my daughter-in-law per her request. My other pipes, I have no idea. I haven't made up my mind. Sending pipes to military members is something I've recently considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.