PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I was just curious about how many of us live in Knoxville or other areas in East Tennessee. I think we've a higher population of pipe smokers than most areas of the US (we supported a half-dozen B&Ms until the early 2000s and still have two), and it's the only place I've ever been where it's not that unusual to see someone puffing on a briar. I was wondering if that was reflected in board membership. So, please chime in if you are from around here!

I see a lot of guys around here in Alabama smoking pipes these days too, sometimes there can even be up to three or four of us whipping out our pipes in a local restaurant. But, we only have a few from Alabama on the forums. Maybe some folks just smoke their pipes, without getting into collecting pipes and cellaring tobaccos part of the hobby that seems to be what keeps us interested in the forum.
I mention this forum at every pipe meeting, but a lot of guys just seem to prefer to keep their smoking in the analog world :puffy:

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
a31pt:

What I really miss is Knox Cigar, but they've been gone for awhile now. I never cared that much for Leaf and Ale, but it was also too far for me to easily commute to. I like Smoky's a great deal, especially with the new owner. He has increased the pipe tobacco selection tenfold or better and is willing to special order blends, as well.
I am actually a huge fan of the Gatlin-Burlier. If not for them in the early 1990s, I would never have become a pipe smoker. They were my primary B&M for the first ten years I was into this hobby. Yes -- they primarily trade with tourists, which means they mark up their products quite a bit, but they also give a local discount that brings most of their stuff in line with everyone else. I'm not a huge aromatic fan, but their blends are usually a couple of notches up from most aros (as a rule, I'd say they are on par with Boswells). Also, two of their three latakia blends are pretty nice. As for their house pipes -- they've sourced their house pipes from several places over the years so the quality admittedly varies, but most of the time their briars are excellent, IMO. In fact, I consider my G-Burlier pipes to be the best "bang for a buck" I've ever gotten for briars. There was one point in the mid-90s, especially, when they were getting some truly beautiful pipes at very decent prices. They aren't Dunhills or Ardors, of course, but I would put them on par with Stanwells or Savs most of the time.
YMMV, of course!

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
I live in the state of Oaxaca. It's a southern state too. In Mexico. Does that count too?

Status
Not open for further replies.