PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
It's 4-star brilliant, and funny in that biting, cringing, satirical way that makes it more than the sum of its disparate parts. It deserves its own thread.

Taxi Driver was a social commentary on the immediately post-Vietnam American mind; this guy Bryan Boyce has subtly updated it to speak to the Disney-fication of the current era; the idea that THE MAN can cleanse and beautify our lives if only we let him control our behavior. Discuss!
http://vimeo.com/37154658

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
errr....what can i say?
on my first viewing of this i am afraid i just got totally lost in looking at Robert de Niro and Cybil Shepherd and marvelling at how young they looked...it wasnt until the last 40 seconds that I started to appreciate the "tweak" (although as Taxi Driver is one of my all time fave movies it is sacrilege to do this to it)
but yes- i suppose it does speak to the modern day, celebrity and trivia-obsessed masses with their Hello Kitty/Walt Disney/"Dr. Everything'll be alright" mind set
or did i read too much into it?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I don't think you read too much into it at all. On the surface it's a clever and bizarre juxtaposition, but when you look at it from a meter back it takes on such dark overtones as to be brilliant. Especially the end monologue about the big rain, with all the characters fluttering through the background--genius. I've watched this 40 times already and it still cracks me up--and makes me shudder!

And yeah, Cybil is just smokin' then.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Both videos are very good...MUCH could be said in regard to their message. I think I'll let Howard speak:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFvT_qEZJf8

Status
Not open for further replies.