Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Here is a website that will get your attention.
https://www.leafonly.com/index.php
I'm planning on some experiments.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Well, I'm going to read about it some more, but likely get some dark flu cured something or other and mix it in with some stuff and smoke it.
Maybe get a Cigar kit and make my own flake. I'll put it together in layers spritzing in some dark rum, put it in the oven with some weight on it and maybe a pan of water underneath, I'm just spitballing here...at say...200 for awhile...or so...then try it out.
https://www.leafonly.com/cigar-tobacco-leaf/tobacco-kits/bold-fire-cigar-tobacco-leaf-combo-small/?refcode=wholeaf

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
If you want "real" tobacco get it from Whole Leaf Tobacco... http://wholeleaftobacco.com/

The stuff that leafonly sells is garbage, plain and simple. Don't take my word for it. Buy a few pounds from each place and compare.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I ordered some dark fired from them (Wholeleaf) a while back. I ordered a pound, got a pound and a quarter. Good service and quality leaf. I had a lot of fun experimenting and learned a lot.

andypandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2013
Oslo, Norway
I think it sounds like a great idea Newbroom. I'd love to try that myself, making my own flake/cake? tobacco. Good luck and tell us how it goes. :)

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
You can buy by the lb at whole leaf as well. The forum is loaded with info like no other as well. I will be doing a grow log on there as well as here this yr too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to best use some Haitian tobacco my sister brought back for me

from her wedding trip. These are tobacco leaves tied in a knot and cured by aging. A much smoother smoke

than I expected, high in nicotine. I think mixing is a key to getting the most out of these, some Virginia to

sweeten up the burley, some Cavendish to thicken up the smoke. But it's not bad on its own.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
I have been using whole leaf from Whole Leaf Tobacco and D&R Tobacco to learn more about curing and blending. We have also used it on Pipe Nite at the Shop to teach about blending the flavor of different tobaccos.

Whole Leaf Tobacco is a great source for leaf, and like Jitterbugdude, I highly recommend their Forum for great information about tobacco in general.

Small amounts (1 lb)are available, and a great place to start.
No connection, only a happy customer.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
As a resident of Mexico, I have access to very high quality cigar leaf at outrageously low prices. On it's own it tastes significantly better rolled up as a cigar, but when it comes to pipes, it makes for a fine spice tobacco, especially for enhancing boring or flat blends.
Example 1:
Irish Oak by Peterson
I found it a bit cigarette like so I mixed it with equal parts of Exclusiv Royal and cigar leaf.
Example 2:
Sherlock Holmes by Peterson
I just couldn't coax the sweetness out so I added about 20% cigar leaf.
In both cases the blends were greatly improved. So if you have any quality blend but somehow it just doesn't suit your tastes you can always try spicing it up with leaf tobacco.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That's exactly what I've been doing with a cigar I got from the holidays. That's what got me thinking along these lines. I've found the addition to be a nice boost to many of my blends. A good cigar offers a variety of leaf all by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.