PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
This tobacco has been mentioned before, so I know some of you are aware of it.
I got a pound of this Latakia and I am very happy with my purchase. The only other straight Latakia I've tried was the Samuel Gawith bulk that was offered at SmokingPipes.
This really is whole leaf tobacco. You're going to have to remove stems and chop, cut, or shred the leaf in some fashion if you're looking to add it to a blend. It really isn't much hassle though and the results are well worth the trouble.
I tried it straight and it gave me a new perspective on Latakia and the flavor it contributes to the blends I like.
I've had great success adding it to blends I already enjoy. And So To Bed especially comes alive with a pinch of this leaf.
I just wanted to make others aware that this was available, as I think that some of you would really enjoy having it on hand, as I do.

Cool! I have some wholeleaf latakia that was gifted to me by Woodsroad. I've tried adding it to different things and by itself. It makes for an interesting smoke by itself too. I have since tried the blender versions of latakia, and it is remarkably better in the whole leaf version. And, while it really lights up a straight Virginia, I've really been enjoying it mixed with some rope, like Brown Bogie or Cotton Boll as an end of the day type smoke. It really adds interest to the ropes. IMO

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Latakia-Tobacco-Lat97.htm
If this is the stuff you are talking about then I concur. It is some excellent tasting stuff. The vapor proof bag that it comes in is also nice. A pasta maker with an angel hair attachment works well for shredding although it is rather flimsy/cheap.
I have a guy in Poland making me a manual shredder (with bearings) that will give me a 1.6mm shred. I'll post some pics when I get it.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I wonder which variety you all have. Syrian or Cyprian. Must be multiple varieties of each of those too, I would think.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This is good stuff. The thing about it is..twofold, I guess. 1. It's approaching 20 years old, so the smoke has faded to the point that it's an enjoyable bowl all by itself, and 2. It's not processed in any way. In order to be stemmed and sliced, Latakia must be rehydrated and flattened. Most processors then do "other things" to the leaf, like coloring it and adding humectants.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Definitely tempting... How does it burn by itself? I though straight latakia was supposed to be hard to keep lit.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Wow, 8 months has passed. Still pleased with my purchase.
I've had more than satisfactory results with the latakia as is. No rehydration required for processing. I just snipped off workable bits with a small pair of scissors. Then maybe give those bits a rub between my fingers or palms. I can then remove any small chunks of stem, if present, mix and go. Easy.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
My shipment came yesterday. While being a little on the dry side I am very pleased with the fragrance! Ive started putting it in with pure Izmir first and its nice.

I added a pinch to a blend which was already 50/50, enough for one bowl and was pleased to find none of that strong floral taste which happens with a Lat Bomb sometimes.(Pirate Kake for example to me).

If someone would like a bit to sample before you buy any, shoot me a PM.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Necro-thread alert!

I'm looking to buy a pound of Lat and read these entries. I wonder if anyone can pipe in with feedback on this company?

https://www.leafonly.com/tobacco-leaf/tobacco-leaves/latakia-oriental-tobacco

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've dealt with them, and prefer wholeleaftobacco.com. I felt that wholeleaf's product was of better quality, and their customer service was better.
Not a condemnation of leafonly, by any means.
YMMV.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
SO, I'm thinking, I like some Latakia, sometimes. I like to save money, plan ahead in a reasonable manner, and the sources of this varietal seem to be becoming undependable.

I ordered some of this here whole leaf latakia, and it is still from 1997.

Upon first tastes in home made mixtures, it has been uneven.

Most of the leaf was indeed, 'whole' and I put almost the whole lb in a large plastic 'pickle' jug, but I had quite a bit of broken matter, or 'shake' and I used that for my first experiments.

I don't think that removing the stems is necessary, but it might make for a smother smoke. I've smoked lat blends that have stem material in them, I think.

Initially, my palate reacted to this leaf. It seemed to be strangely acidic or something and it reached up into the back top of my mouth.

I seem to have become more attuned now, to the flavor w/o negative aftershock, and I've made a couple of mixes that are quite satisfying and encouraging.

I've purchased C&D lat and McLelland's lat, and the Mc's is more like what woodsroad describes, groomed, uniform in color, more moist. C&D's is dry as a bone and can be dusty, but it does have serious smokey flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.