PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is celebrity fun or awful? You can be a celebrity for being incredibly good at some activity (show biz, sports, politics, business) or for nothing at all other than acting out a big personality in public. Are there more pluses or minuses. If you could choose, how would you choose?
Bill Murray had a good observation in an interview, saying that what he liked about success in comedy and acting was the money and the freedom it bought. He didn't say, but I suppose there were several nice (and big) residences in that, some fine automobiles, and travel to suit himself. But he readily admitted the downside as being lack of freedom in being continually recognized, intrusions by unpleasant people who were rude and drunk and otherwise negative, and the ongoing stress and limits that caused. Would you rather be your own man (or woman) or to some degree the public's?
Personally, I don't consider celebrity a win, nor anonymity a loss. You work with your circumstances and hope to realize the benefits of those.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Interesting question.
I'm in the anonymity camp. They can keep all the flashy cars and houses. Trappings of a life that isn't truly your own.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Not me, not even close.
Sometimes at big fire scenes there are news media with their cameras, so I walk up to the cameraman and tell them, "I'm in the witness protection program, you can't include me on your footage."
So far, I've avoided being on TV or the newspaper.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Interesting question, for sure. While I'd love to have that kind of income and financial freedom, I don't think I'm much for the intrusion of privacy. Some celebrities do it right and stay out of the spotlight as much as possible.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
No thanks....I enjoy my quiet, simple, private lifestyle.

It would maybe be nice to have an overflowing bank account but the rest of the BS that comes along with celebrity status is not for me. :puffy:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
"Everybody's a dreamer and everybody's a star

And everybody's in show biz, it doesn't matter who you are

And those who are successful

Be always on your guard

Success walks hand in hand with failure

Along Hollywood Boulevard"
-Ray Davies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_QkUVZGPc

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Most people who become famous, never intended or set out to be. You do what you do and sometimes it brings you fame. Some will tell you they eat up the attention but privately, most will admit it is a burden.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
I suffer from the physics disorder "observer effect". The act of observation affects my behavior. Silence is golden, anonymity is priceless.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Celebrity is especially unappealing these days because, for whatever reason, there seems to be a greater-than-usual epidemic of mental illness among them...and seems to be worsening by the day.
And the worst type of celebrity by far are the TV "news" celebrities who masquerade as journalists. They also tend to be the type that craves celebrity the most.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
This topic reminds me of a favorite poem, part of which was set beautifully by Henry Purcell.
If ever I more riches did desire
If ever I more riches did desire

Than cleanliness and quiet do require,

If e'er Ambition did my fancy cheat,

With any wish so mean as to be great,

Continue, Heav'n, still from me to remove

The humble blessings of that life I love.
Upon the slipp'ry tops of human state,

The gilded pinnacles of fate,

Let others proudly stand, and for awhile

The giddy danger to beguile,

With joy and with disdain look down on all,

Till their heads turn, and down they fall.
Me, O ye Gods, on earth, or else so near,

That I no fall to earth may fear,

And, O ye gods, at a good distance seat

From the long ruins of the great.

Here wrap'd in the arms of Quiet le me lie;

Quiet, companion of Obscurity.

Here let my life with as much silence slide

As time, that measures it, does glide.
Nor let the breath of Infamy or Fame

From town to town echo about my name,

Nor let my homely death embroider'd be

With scutcheon or with elegy:

An old plebeian let me die.

Alas, all then are such as well as I.
To him, alas, to him, I fear,

The face of Death will terrible appear,

Who in his life flatt'ring his senseless pride

By being known to all the world beside,

Does not himself, when he is dying, know,

Nor what he is, nor whither he's to go.
-Abraham Cowley

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
I can't think of a single situation where fame would be a good thing. But celebrities from my small country have it much worse since they get ridiculously low pay.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I personally know celebrities, and it seems a very lonely life. You don't know who truly wants to be with you or be friends with you because of you, or who you are. Also, public personas are sometimes quite different than their public ones. Having fame or fortune is both a blessing and a curse. For me, I'll just keep on keeping on. I wouldnt mind it, I'm a bit of a hermit anyway.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
I wouldn't mind the riches but being constantly followed and scrutinized by the Savage anti-intellectual media no thanks!

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I am the kind of person who couldn't attract attention even if I were to set fire to myself in a crowded room, and I like it that way. Invisibility is a blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.