PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the FDA regs and further intrusions drag down pipe tobacco sales, which of the big companies are most likely to remain in business selling pipe tobacco. This would probably be one of the big tobacco producers with deep pockets and big profits from exports. Scandinavian Tobacco Group Lane Ltd.? Can I depend on Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, for example? I don't mean it has to be only one, just who are the likely survivors in a crunch? (I'm not saying this with any glee.)

May 4, 2015
Whoever is the most diversified and most flexible will weather the storm. Look at the brewers who made it through prohibition, for example. Coors Brewing was fairly diversified had had other ventures like a porcelain company and used its beer facilities to produce malted milk to Mars.
If I were in the business right now, I'd make sure I had some eggs in other baskets.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Two of my three favorites are gone - McClelland and Dunhill.
So now, it's Wessex and my new favorite GL Pease. Whatever happens, I hope those two stay.

If what happened to chewing tobacco, happens to us, we will all be enjoying Phillip Morris Escudo, and Camel Virginia Flakes. The cigarette companies are the most diversified. They own Kraft, a large section of the dairy industry, corn syrup, etc... almost every aspect that the FDA is involved, you'll find Big Cig. You cannot get more diversified than that. They bought out about every other aspect of the tobacco industry and about half of all agriculture. When people complain about big government, FDA, etc... they mean the tobacco industry. It's just a big circle jerk. :puffy:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I wanna say I heard somewhere that STG and Mac Baren/Sutliff combined account for something like 80% of the entire pipe tobacco market, so I would venture to say they last the longest.
I would also say I see C&D hanging on for quite some time.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I hope C&D keeps chugging as well. They bought new space and are still putting out blends. I really hope that they know more than we do because I really enjoy their tobacco!
And don't forget the blend for Pease too!

samw74

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
I could make a guess, but with all the variables and unknowns, I would probably be wrong. I do know this: It’s 2018 and worldwide campaigns against tobacco will continue, to the detriment of our beloved leaf. With that said, I will continue buying my regular blends and buildup my cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.