Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
So my day is winding down and as usual I decided to smoke a bowl or two. I smoked one bowl, emptied it in my glass ashtray, killed a few minutes and then started packing my second bowl.
My ashtray was getting a bit full but it looked like it could still hold a few helpings more so I didn't think about it. As I was sitting around the old ashes from the bottom of my first bowl were still smoldering a bit. Not abnormal, I barely noticed.
My second bowl was ready so I started to pre-light it. As I am going in circles around the top of the tobacco with my lighter, I hear a loud *POP*. It startled me to the point that I almost dropped my pipe. I look over and my ashtray had exploded! There was ash and glass all over my desk.
There are (were) papers on my desk too, had to put them out! Man was I not expecting that...

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have inadvertently set ash trays on fire before... but, never had one to explode. 8O
I think there is an Ash and Glass joke in there somewhere... but, I'll leave it alone. :D
I'm just glad you weren't cut or otherwise injured.

:puffy:

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Wow, I never even thought of that as a possibility. I use a clay ash tray though, so I think I'm in the clear?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Luckily it was only your ashtray exploding and you not spontaneously com-busting. Now that would have sucked. I have actually seen glass ashtrays do the exact same thing before, don't know why it happens but it does.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
Same thing happened to me a while back. I now let my pipe go cold before I dump the ash. It will sure scare the crap out of you when it happens. 8O

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I had that happen to me once too. It was the punctuation in what seemed to be a very long series of idiotic moves by a group of people who should have know better but had drank too much Rhinegold. I never would have thought that would have happened with a pipe ember though.

Jan 8, 2013
I had that happen to me once too. It was the punctuation in what seemed to be a very long series of idiotic moves by a group of people who should have know better but had drank too much Rhinegold.
Sounds like my story.... we filled an ashtray with lighter fluid and lit it. Then it broke, burning lighter fluid went all over coffee table... someone thought they should throw their drink on it, which made things more interesting lol. Glass ashtrays suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.