PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
So I listed a 2008 Dunhill tin last night. I just got off the phone with ebay and as a courtesy call they informed me that this item is still available in stores and thus violates policy. I told them you can't buy a 2008 tin in stores. They shut down the auction and told me that repeated offenses will effect my account standing.
Anyone ever gotten a call from them? Which Brick and Mortar is selling 2008 tins? If they mean you can buy the same stuff but dated 2014 then wouldn't that eliminate most aged tins, even the revered Sobranie that is available again?

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
No idea - I am not that big of a dunhill baccy fan. I did copy Pipestuds disclaimer from another post on here so I thought I was legit. Maybe I misunderstood the no longer available part.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Interesting. I wonder if ebay will be cracking down, or if you're just unlucky. I personally feel that most tobacco sales completed on ebay technically do not meet the requirements, but happen anyway. I think the few who run a ebay page as part of their business, think PipeStud, that do follow the rules would know more.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
At first I thought it was a scam - why would ebay call me on the phone? But they verified some information and then when they hung up I googled the number and it showed as ebay. I called it back and it was a recording that they use this number for courtesy calls or something to that effect. Not that big of an issue really, I am no huge seller by any stretch. Just kinda freaky I guess. :)

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
They don't look at tobacco by vintage, so it does violate the word of the rule. If the label was by year, like wine, it would be different. Many do get around the rules though.

billblevins

Lurker
Jan 12, 2015
One would do well to steer clear of EBay...and PayPal. When I want to sell or trade something, I just do it in forums or Facebook. Most pipe smokers are on the level and I've never encountered an issue.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Here is the real question.
Who reported you?
Definitely the other guy selling an aged Dunhill tin. I have given up trying to sell aged tins on Ebay. I have their black mark on me, and they always pull my auction right away, even when I list it properly. I have tried to get a straight answer as to why out of their customer service on several occasions and that went nowhere. Next time I want to sell tins, I will just use 4noggins or Pipestud. They take 30%, which is definitely higher then Ebay, but you don't have to deal with the transactions, shipping, dealing with morons who never pay, etc. I think that if Rich and Steve dropped their commission down to like 20%, their websites would fast become THE places to buy and sell aged tins.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Have you peed in anyone's cornflakes recently? [:rofl:]
LMAO - The only ebayer I ever bad mouth is shiny pipes. But like I said, I don't sell enough to warrant any attention. Although I did list a few dislikes in a thread about ebay the other day. Maybe Kevin sold me out.
#shakesfistatGodbee
I agree with hiplainsdrifter, we need a forum discount at those two vendors. :)

jthomas04

Might Stick Around
Oct 15, 2013
Yea those newly listed tin listings won't be up much longer. Ebay is cracking the whip. BS if you ask me.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I found no listings more than 16 hours old. I guess the trick will be to list BIN at a low enough price to move the tins quickly. This might make for a peculiar market.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Gang,
I'll chime in on this one. I can't speak for Rich, but I'll be happy to drop my commission by 10% to the two fellows above who suggested it. All they need to do is take 10% pay cuts for whatever work it is that they perform and we've got a done deal. :wink:
On a serious note; a 2008 tin of any Dunhill blend is a current production (Orlik) tin and does not fit the criteria that eBay plainly lays out for selling such tins. And, the sellers are required to list the criteria in each tobacco tin auction. That criteria being (and I quote directly from eBay) -
-- The value of the item is the collectible packaging, not the tobacco itself.

-- The value of the packaging is higher than the current retail price of the tobacco in the package.

-- While the package has never been opened, the tobacco inside is not for consumption.

-- The collectible packaging is not currently available in stores.

-- The buyer must be at least 18 years old. (As the seller, I'm responsible for making sure this rule is met.)

-- Both the buyer and the seller are following all applicable laws and shipping regulations for this transaction.
While a 2008 Dunhill blend is a little more valuable than retail to my buyers on my private website due to the aging, I would not dare list such a tin on eBay as their criteria for selling aged tins is different than mine.
I have had to make calls to eBay several times in the past to get clarification on tins that I've had up on eBay that some weekend warrior there took down. Each time, eBay apologized and allowed me to re-list. Unfortunately, most of their employees are not pipe smokers and are clueless about our hobby and truly collectible pipe tobacco (which a 2008 tin of any current production Dunhill tin is not). If they see a 1960s tin of Cope's Escudo on my eBay site and do a Google search and find it readily available at many retail and etail outlets, then they just associate the Escudo name and similarity in the look of the tins and hit the panic button. It is just a fact and, unfortunately, will continue.
I am of the opinion that those eBay sellers who are either purposely, or simply mis-understanding the rules, are actually potentially hurting our opportunities to find and pick-up some nice and truly collectible no longer produced blends. eBay may tire of all the police work and simply end all tobacco related auctions if this continues.
Best to all,
Pipestud

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Well, guess what? Not 10-minutes after posting the above I also got a call from eBay. Three of my auctions that are running this week are no longer produced tins (two old Balkan Sobranie and a Three Nuns Cutter Top) that are listed for "Worldwide Shipping." The lady with eBay told me that they are indeed having to crack down and 'upon attorney advice," will no longer allow any tobacco related products to be sold that include shipping available outside of the USA due to the varying laws regarding tobacco importing to other countries. She said I needed to end those listings and re-list with domestic shipping only.
I am glad that I can still sell the tins but the caution flag sure has been raised as one wonders how long it will be before "upon attorney advice" all tobacco related products (pipes, tobacco, etc) will be removed from eBay?
Thanks again,
Pipestud

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Wow - this is getting nuttier by the day. I think you may be right Pipestud - it is only a matter of time due to "attorney" advice. Sorry to make light of your commission. As of now I have informed my employer to take 10% off my hourly rate. That puts me at $1.50 an hour take home. :)
Should be an interesting next few days or weeks on the bay. I will keep watching this thread and others.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Dang it, Peteguy - You're hourly wage will still be higher than mine. :cry:
I may have to get ahead of the curve and choose another collectible to sell on eBay.
Maybe I can start selling collectible potatoes on eBay. I would, of course, change my name to Spudstud
Pipestud

Status
Not open for further replies.