PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
If you could go back in time and smoke a pipe with anyone, who would you smoke with and why?
I would Smoke a pipe with Wyatt Earp. I'm a huge fan of western movies and that era in general. I would love to have a couple of hours listening to his thoughts. And if he was busy I would most likely enjoy a pipe with Albert Einstein.
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I think Mark Twain for me. He had a wonderful sense of humor, and he didn't care what anybody thought about him! He also didn't care to tell anybody what he thought about them when they pissed him off! I think we'd have gotten along splendidly.

Aug 1, 2012
Andrew Jackson. (Mostly)Great man with an interesting life story and a pipe smoker to boot. EDIT: If fictional characters are allowed, I would go with Dr. John Watson. Less showy than Holmes and more of an inside story to tell.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe the Persian poet Rumi. Perhaps the young Tolstoy if he didn't insist on gambling; he lost the

big house on his estate in a game of chance (cards I think). Kit Carson's alleged dying words were:

"I wish I had time for one more bowl of chili." Mark Twain -- actually, I think we would have hit it off,

whereas I'm less certain on the others. He would have listened well enough to catch my punch lines,

and of course, he would have amazed me with his. "Opera would be great if it weren't for all the

damned singing." Annie Oakley, for sure. What a woman; what a person. Elizabeth the First, if I could

be guaranteed to not get executed if she didn't care for my personality. No thanks on her dad,

Henry the Eighth. QE1 may have smoked a pipe or two in her time, having Sir Walter Raleigh as a

minion for most of his life. Likely Annie did a bowl now and then herself, in private.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
My Great Great Great Uncle Sheldon, served in Custer's 7th Cavalry during the Civil War. Did time in Andersonville, shunned by his mess mates for treating one of the guards and wardens (he was a doctor). Finished the war in camp, discharged on release. Had to be a heckuva guy.
Oh yes, and also a pipe-smoker.
-- Pat

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Years ago when Sparky Anderson (Pipe Smoker) was the manager of the Detroit Tigers he spent a good bit of time raising money for Childrens Hospital.He visited kids in the hospital on a regular basis.I wish that I could have sat down with him and smoked a bowl,and thanked him for the joy he gave us baseball fans as a manager also for being so kind and compassionate to those sick kids.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Myself, to speed up the pipe learning curve...and to give myself stock tips and sports results for gambling purposes.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
This is a "no-brainer" for me. Craig Tarler of Cornell and Diehl was my best friend. For a few years, we developed the "Captain Bob's" Series of C&D tobaccos. They consisted of three blends:

Captain Bob's Blend

Captain Bob's Shipmates Blend

Captain Bob's Pot-O-Gold Mixture

I miss Craig since his passing. However, the apple does not fall far from the tree. His son, Chris Tarler is doing a fantastic job of continuing the remarkable tradition of Cornell and Diehl Blends!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
C.S. Lewis and his friend JRR Tolkien. The conversations those two must have had.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Non Famous/ non pipe smoker...my PaPaw(mother's dad) he died when I was 24. He had been in a nursing home for nearly 10 years and I would see him, but he was really frail by that time. Just to be able to spend time with him during his more productive years would have been great. I was his favorite grandchild and I loved him very much.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I would love to have a pipe with Albert Einstein, not because he was a brilliant physicist, but because he was an outspoken advocate for civil rights in the mid-20th century. This aspect of his life isn't well known. He once said, "Racism is a disease...I do not intend to be quiet about it." Certainly his experience as a Jewish instructor at the University of Berlin just before the Nazis came to power sensitized him to the plight of African Americans in the US.
That being said, it would be nice to not only hear his thoughts on the matter, but to give him a much needed and overdue thanks.
Sam

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
For me, I think it would have to Carl Jung. IMHO, he was a genius and had great knowledge to impart (and he was a pipe smoker too).

My Great Great Great Uncle Sheldon, served in Custer's 7th Cavalry during the Civil War. Did time in Andersonville, shunned by his mess mates for treating one of the guards and wardens (he was a doctor). Finished the war in camp, discharged on release. Had to be a heckuva guy.
Nice choice Pat.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
My Grandfather. My mother swears we are exactly alike yet he died when I was little. We had to live with him for a year once and I remember him always having a pipe and making me 7-Up and Cherry juice cocktails at his basement bar.
His gin, my "Shirley Temples".
I'd give quite a bit to sit there at his bar, smoke a pipe with him, and sip some martinis.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Sequoiah. The only person in history to single-handedly create a written language. I can only imagine what it would be like to converse with a man of that calibre of intelligence.
George Washington Carver. The mind that could take a simple legume and find so many amazing and bizarre things to make with it must have been truly unique.
Martin Luther. I doubt he would have smoked, but maybe he would let me.

Status
Not open for further replies.