PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I was recently given a pipe found by my grandmother she found for $2. She thought it was pretty, and I could have it just to have. "The Tinderbox Meerschaum Lined - 210 - and Italy," on the stem. The grain is very nice to me. Though...I have no idea what to do with it. Looks like they tried to remove the meerschaum lining. It has cracks in the side of the liner, in the bottom, and a lot is gone from the top. The Briar has chunks from it, a hairline crack, and I can't figure out why there is (what looks like a saw cut) right at the end of the shank face. Shame that such a nice pipe has been wrecked. Is there hope? Can anything be done with the meer lining? Can it be removed despite the thin briar? Every time I really look at it...all I think is...the previous owner needs a backhand. Here's some pictures I want to share, looking for opinions.
(Edited title, please see rule number 9.

Thank you, Robert.)

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
0919152259-01_zpsdvzd9fov.jpg

0919152259-00_zpspufdapfg.jpg

0919152259-02_zps0l58tnnq.jpg

0919152258-01_zpsqoudkapu.jpg

0919152301-02_zpsudk7mxlk.jpg

0919152300-01_zpsnikq5n9r.jpg

0919152301-00_zps6anyzp8v.jpg

0919152300-03_zpssfpqtgkk.jpg

0919152259-03_zps3d4wvksy.jpg

0919152300-02_zpskf25d6yw.jpg

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yes it needs some tlc. I would try to sand that meer lining a bit and maybe a light sand and rewax on the bowl. Stem looks like it needs deoxidized too. Most pipes are salvageable if you are willing to put in the work.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
That meer lining is cracked up, and missing about 1/8in of the top. I don't even see how you can crack one that much. Possible to remove the lining completely? Or will the thin walls, and briar underneath just ruin it more so. Doubt I'll attempt this on my own though.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tyler:
The Tinder Box purchased many a burner from leading European pipe manufacturers and slapped their name on them. Buys from Charatan, Comoy's and Lorenzo are well documented. (I've got three of their Charatan made pipes and they're just superb smokers.)
Your burner, unfortunately, looks like hell. And, no. I have no idea why the previous owner would try to scrape out the meerschaum lining and then use this pipe as a hammer.
There are restoration wizards amongst us. But if you don't want to go to that extent, then put it in the mailbox to Shaintiques. He'll do his thing and then gift it to a beginning piper. I'm sure your present still has a few smokes left in it.
Fnord

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Have already talked about it actually. Would love to have it, but it needs help I can't give. Trying to be involved in the Free Pipe Project, though a little awkward being on both sides right now. I appreciate the info on this by the way. Now if you can track down the previous owner, we need to talk to him.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A rodent or other pest perhaps. The previous owner might be dead and the pipe rattled unnoticed for many years. This may in fact be a true estate pipe. How a person treats his pipe is really of no interest to me. It's a block of wood for crying out loud!
If you are going to get all bent out of shape do so for a serious reason. If you care enough about the briar, have it repaired.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe this pipe was tried for burning other than tobacco and this generated the angry abuse. It just looks destructive, not like someone was trying hard to enjoy their Carter Hall.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Dave G has restored pipes in a lot worse shape that that one. He's a great source of information. Contact him via PM and ask how he would proceed. It will be an education. Being able to bring an old pipe back to life opens doors to pipes long out of production, not to mention your dollar will go a lot further. In most cases it only requires modest skills to produce reasonable results. If nothing else your grandmother will be pleased to know you obviously appreciated her gift.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
jpmcwjr - I typed all of the info at the top. Unfortunately I have had to go to an old phone for now and the camera isn't very good. I just took the pictures and began to rant when I picked the pipe up....You know...no one has cameras anymore, just phones...and memorizing a number....unheard of. I wonder how many kids know what an Encyclopedia is? Ah...the rants I can get into right now

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
So...guess what. I finished what was started. I removed the meer lining the rest of the way, sanded down the bowl, filled the chips, the big hole, the crack, and the saw mark. I polished up the stem, cleaned up the glue left in the bowl from the lining (which was no easy task...that stuff is serious) cleaned everything up....then...pipe mud in the bowl since it's thin and there was a small chip out inside the chamber. Whether it be from me removing the lining or prior I'm not sure. I will note that I was very delicate in the removal....Was a good learning project for me...a little experience to add to it. I will be smoking it this weekend...maybe.... I am going to leave it unfinished, not going to stain it, and will smoke as is. I had considered a gold band....but wasn't working out. Maybe in the future I will band the crack, and stain/wax the pipe...but for now...I will just be happy to see if I pulled off making this thing smokeable.
I used only what I had on hand. Scotch Brite, a little sandpaper...though mainly 400 grit, and 150 of...something grit, Magic Eraser, Alcohol, Pipe Cleaners, Knife, toothpaste, an old cotton shirt, krazy glue, and gorilla glue for the big hole...but well...I don't recommend it as it's a lot of work when it bubbles with the briar dust. You have to stay with it for a while or it will not work out. Though it is incredibly strong. Basic household stuff, it works...for now. Once I get my tobacco products back up, then I can finish getting resto supplies. But this will do for now! Sorry about the rant if you read this far.
IMG_0215_zpswzdk0zsf.jpg

IMG_0212_zpsi8jixbmn.jpg

This was the gorilla glue Basically...mixed in with briar dust...it bubbles, for a long time....so I had to constantly stir it in order to keep it ok....while it turned out ok here...it may not be the best idea. I ended up sanding it down and it turned out really well. Better hold that superglue, I believe it would take a drill to go in it.
IMG_0293_zpsozguf8zu.jpg

After
IMG_0301_zpswdhxmgcz.jpg

IMG_0296_zpslu9lifak.jpg

IMG_0312_zpskeooip8i.jpg

IMG_0408_zpsusrarydn.jpg

IMG_0407_zps5musyuw1.jpg

IMG_0405_zpsvk6fqqxs.jpg

IMG_0404_zpsgufftrfh.jpg

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Can't wait to test it out. It was fun to play with. I'll thank the previous owner...gave me a challenge. I don't know why I got all bent out of shape when I originally posted this. If it was ever nice/not dark when I'm working on them....maybe I could get better pictures. Hopefully these will do. Wish me luck on it smoking well!

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Thanks. If I had some SPS Breckinridge....I believe that's it's destiny with the large chamber. Will wait until I order more, until then. The usual Admiral's Choice Vanilla Cavendish.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
A rodent or other pest
That's what it looks like to me.
There's something about the rustic look unwaxed I like Tyler. Reminds me of old heart pine floors. Wood that has been in rivers and reconditioned. worm holes filled like that. That pipe looks good unwaxed! It's pretty much a straight grain pipe!
Hang on to it. I'll send you some more HIM.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
It is obvious you are not lazy, Tyler. You really worked hard on it.
Tyler, if you ever figure out why folks destroy nice things, many of which they are not even capable of making, write a book about it. You can make some money in psychological circles. But...... someone may buy your book and use it for a coaster. People, go figure :lol:

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
It´s always fun to restore a proper train wreck like this because you only can make it better! Wall thickness looks good to me too. Next put some dark stain on it which might cover the fills a bit. Or just smoke the heck out of it! :D

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Awesome job! That poor pipe in the before pics--I have to agree, I think only a rodent could have done that.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
You really worked hard on it.
This could be debated. :)
stvalentine I'll take the latter as I do not have stain, and am not at that point yet. I kind of want to leave it as is....just...show off the hell it went through. Maybe down the road I'll stain it.
Thanks for the comments.
Oh and beastinview welcome to the forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.