PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I read an article by Mike Butera from the late 90s in P&T and he said that he uses one or more pipe cleaners during every smoke in order to remove moisture from the airway. I can see the advantages of doing this -- drier smokes are usually better smokes, but it seems like a hell of a lot of fuss and trouble. If my pipe smokes without gurgling, I'm happy. If there's a little moisture in the stem and around the mortise, I don't really mind. To me, that's what pipes do. Does anyone else use one or more pipe cleaners during every smoke?

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I do. It's not much trouble to me as I find the gurgle annoying. It does help me keep the pipe cleaner so it's not such a chore later.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Depends on where I am. On the couch, smoking a moister aro, usually. Out and about, no. If I'm smoking a pipe with a stinger or screw in stem while I'm outside, I just unscrew and give the stem a flick. Then back to business. :puffpipe:

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I tend to, even on pipes that do not gurgle, I find it tastes differint (worse) when too much moisture accumulates in the pipe.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I use to. Might have been that some of my first pipes were bent? Or I smoked to fast? Now days I smoke straight pipes. If a gurgle starts I just exhale threw the pipe softly. That seems to clear up the problem. I do run a pipe cleaner threw after every smoke though.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I always use a pipe cleaner while smoking. Nothing worse than the taste of tobacco flavored saliva. :twisted:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
When I'm home I use it when gurgling happens although I do have some trouble with deep bend pipes-I luckily I do have thin cleaners

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Sometimes I'll use one. Dependent on tobacco moisture. Of course if you're the salivating kind, you may need more. The cleaner to a pipeman is like the bib to a lobster eater. Or something like that.

Dec 24, 2012
If I sense gurgling I do it. That's why I hate a pipe that won't pass a pipe cleaner without being taken apart.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yup, I never smoke a pipe that won't pass a cleaner, so I always run a cleaner tru the pipe about halfway tru the bowl. I smoke faster than I should so it usually makes a bit of moisture.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
I always pass a cleaner mid-smoke, even if the pipe smokes dry. The cleaner always comes out a least slightly damp and dirty, saves me the cleaning later. I think it's a lot easier to clean the residues before it dries and cools.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yes, it really helps with the dreaded gurggle. After I'm done with a pipe I also run a pipe cleaner through it and leave until the next smoke.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I don't usually have to but if I do and have a cleaner available (I don't carry them with me most of the time) and get a gurgle. If I don't have a cleaner I'll either gentle exhale into the stem or, if I'm outside, put my thumb over the chamber and give the pipe a gentle flick.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I never used pipe cleaners mid smoke before, however since my packing technique has improved (thanks to all of you) I've noticed some gurgle from time to time. I'm still smoking a bit too fast but I'm working on it, in the meantime the pipe cleaner quickly resolves the problem. I now carry 5 or 6 cleaners in my pipe pouch at all times.

popsmusix

Lurker
Feb 18, 2013
I always have a pipe cleaner with me when smoking. I don't like the gurgling or the "backwash" if you will. Only exception is when I smoke my meerschaum, I want to color it so I let all that tobacco laden juice stay there so the meerschaum soaks it up.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wow, thanks for sharing, everyone. From these results, it looks like I'm in the minority here. I only rarely use a pipe cleaner for moisture.
Still, I find it curious that a guy like Butera would rely on pipe cleaners. I thought the reason for making a pipe with proper airflow was to prevent turbulence and moisture buildup. If you're using 3-4 pipe cleaners per smoke, say, it really doesn't much matter whether you're smoking a properly made Mike Butera pipe (or a Wayne Teipen :wink: ) or whether you're smoking a Peterson with half-ass engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.