PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Two weeks ago I received my first ever tins of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky and enjoyed it in my MM Twain a great deal and finally had a great smoke of it in one of my briars.
Today I took the flat bottomed Dublin light brown Morta from the capable hands of Pipemaker John Hines who he entrusted his lovely creation to Pipemaker Josh Whitehead to do the blasting work, this collaboration was a perfect match just like the marble colored stem John chose for the pipe.
While I thought I had full enjoyment of the Dark Strong Kentucky by Orlik it wasn’t until I was keeping it smokey in the pipe that the nuances of this fine tobacco slapped upside the head, folks will tell you Morta shine with Latakia but I know VA’s, VA/Per’s and other tobaccos shine as well and DSK is one that will sing in your Morta.

banjo
36769552414_04279d6742_z_d.jpg

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Banjo, that stem is really unique. Makes the pipe even more awesome. I have always smoked a variety of things through my Mortas. I think morta pipes are just as good as meers for smoking.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
That pipe looks heavy, but very nice, (Yes. the Marbling on the stem is right for it). Is Morta heavier or lighter than briar?

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
The lighting was rather poor for that shot so the true beauty of the pipe and stem cannot be truly appreciated, here is a better photo.
36771452764_8f6b5f036f_z_d.jpg
I also agree with you on Morta being just as good as Meerschaum Pipes for smoking wyfbane, regards.

banjo

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Morta is extremely light compared to similar pipes in Briar chiefwannapuff this one is 1 1/2 ozs on my US Postal Scale, regards.

banjo

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Awesome looking pipe. I would enjoy any type of tobacco a bit more than usual out of that beauty.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My morta has a deep narrow bowl, so I find that Virginia flakes and Vapers seem to smoke best in it. I have however, smoked all kinds of tobacco in it and is is a nice light weight pipe that handles most blends. I still lean towards flakes and vapers in it. I like the color of yours banjo, mine seems to be towards the darker side. Cool pipes anyway.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Ah, man. Its brown. Making me drool! Brown morta is still on my bucketlist. It's even more gorgeous now!!
I only smoke one particular aro in my morta. "Devils Holiday"
Yes! Dan's Devil's Holiday is in my top 3 favorite aros!

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Resurrecting this old thread. I too have been seeking a brown morta by a quality pipemaker and in a shape I like. Found one! This Ryan Alden should be arriving shortly. I have only one other pipe by Ryan, an estate that I recently learned is strawberry wood, and it's fantastic. It's really well engineered and quite handsome. I'm excited to acquire another.
Screenshot_20181002-112743-X3.png

I remember when on the Pipesmagazine Radioshow, Brian was interviewing a pipemaker that was known for his Mortas (the name escapes me), Brian asked him if a particular blend tasted better in a morta. The pipemaker was reluctant, but eventually said, "I think latakia might taste a little better." Then next thing you knew, forum members were saying that you could only smoke latakia in a morta, ha ha. It's like when Brain said that burley doesn't age as well as Virginias, people interpreted that to mean that burleys didn't age well at all.
If we could get some shock collars on forum members, we might be able to straighten this all out. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.