PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
A while back my wife picked up a lot of about 30 estate pipes for dirt cheap for me. None of these pipes are anything amazing. I was intending to learn how to restore pipes by practicing on these. However, work has kept me quite busy and I just don't have the space to set up an area to do full restorations. I would like to get these cleaned up to use in the pipe club I have started. I thought it would be a good idea to have a clean estate pipes on hand that I could lend/hand out. So who would I contact to get these pipes cleaned up to working condition? I don't want to spend a ton of money. I would be willing to part with 15 to 20 of these pipes in return for the rest being cleaned and restored.

P8130760.jpg

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Hi dpkrause,
I think getting the good pieces restored to a "working condition" (as opposed to a "like new" condition) should take you about a weekend. All the time consuming steps are usually in the step from "working condition" to "awesome clean and shiny", while from "ugh a dirty estate" to "smokeable" can usually be carried out in bulk.
(1) Reaming the bowl, sanding interior with 600 grit takes about 5 minutes per pipe.

(2) After reaming, you can drop all the bowls into an alcohol bath for an hour or two.

(3) At the same time you'd drop all the stems into an Oxyclean bath for an hour or two.

(4) After the bath, the bowls can be bulk-deghosted by filling them all up with salt and drizzling Everclear inside.

(5) While waiting for the deghost, you can get the stems matte shiny with Magic Erasers / Obsidian Oil and running one or two bristle cleaners with Everclear through them. About 5 minutes per stem.
So you are looking at about 300 minutes of actual work and about 2 hours of waiting. Now that's an optimistic estimate based on the above photograph - none of the pipes appear to be especially gunked from the picture.
For 15 - 20 pipes for free, I'm sure you'll easily find somebody to do the job for you (hell! I'd take up the offer in an instant but alas I'm still gathering my 50 posts to gain some 'street credibility' here lol).

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
Correction: it is a total of 22 pipes, 10 of which are Dr. Grabow pipes.
8d6ab90f96bdf60045e74642ddbd380d.jpg

You are correct, that I do not need to get them to like new condition, good working order, clean and sanitized would be good enough.

Aug 1, 2012
I would be willing to do a few for you. I'm not the best but I could ream the cake and do a retorting on some as well as a stem and bowl polish. PM me if interested. EDIT: I would do the work for feedback on the quality of the job. No compensation necessary.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
That's probably the nicest group of Grabows I've seen all in one place. Whoever cleans them, I'd love to see the after pics.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
Thanks for the interest. I have worked out a deal with someone and will be sending them out tomorrow for a restoration job.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think hfearly is understating the cleaning a bit mate. It takes MUCH longer than that to do a good cleaning job. It doesn't take "One or 2 Bristle Cleaners" to clean the inside of the stem, it takes 20-50+ cleaners to really clean the inside of the stem properly. And DO NOT drop the bowls in an alochol bath as you will most certainly ruin the finish! The "5 minutes per stem" is acutally 2 hours per stem. And you don't fill the bowl with salt and "drizzel" Everclear over them. They have to sit for at least 12 hours with the salt and everclear/alochol in them.
I am not trying to be hard on you hfearly my friend, just merely trying to clarify to dpkurase the actual work involved.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Exactly, the reality is that those of us that really restore pipes and sell them don't do it for the money, as the time to clean them isn't cost effective. It is about bringing history back to life. And the reality for a collection like that is that they need restoring but people don't realize the time involved and thus will turn their nose up at the cost to restore them. Also +1 nsfisher, don't drop them into an alcohol bath, you can wipe the exterior down with alcohol to clean off tobacco residue, but sometimes that takes the finish off. If you aren't equipped to restore the finish or re-wax you should just wipe with water or good old spit. I use bar keepers friend to clean oxidation off of stems and it it takes 1-2 hours per stem.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Okay, hold on for a second ;-)
"Workable" condition to me means (1) sterile and (2) clean, and (3) without ghost. My explanation was on how I'd go about getting to that state fast without much work. The assumption was also (based on the provided first picture) that these pipes were in a reasonable condition already.
First, stems after an Oxyclean bath for 2 hours won't need 50 bristle cleaners. The most gunked up estate stem I have cleaned after the Oxyclean was 5 bristle cleaners until they came out as white as they went in. And yes, I have also cleaned estate stems without a previous Oxyclean bath, and yes I agree in that case you will need in the ballpark of at least 20 depending on the amount of gunk.
Second, salt and alcohol method has no further effect after 3 hours, as has been demonstrated multiple times across a variety of forums, and this is consistent with my experience. If you ream back the cake to wood, sand it smooth with 600 and do the salt/alc for 3 hours you are - usually - perfectly good to go. Yes, there is the occasional estate where grandpa collected 50 years of goopy cherry tobacco but let me tell you the amount of work needed to deghost that stuff is insane.
Third, yes: the alcohol bath will strip the grime, the finish and good parts of the stain off the pipe. Unless you want to keep the pipes "original" and go to great lengths of additional work to keep them as original as possible, this won't hurt. Remember, we are talking about quickest way to "workable"! You can always re-apply a Fiebings Ainiline dye stain in medium brown and/or Oxblood over the stripped wood to get back very close to the original colour. And just for the records, staining doesn't take ages either: apply generously, flame it, buff off, let dry for 20 minutes, buff off with white diamond and carnauba. Can be done in bulk, too.
That said, I have restored many estates to "like new" condition and if you want a perfect pipe, I agree the restoration job will required much much more work. The final 20% towards perfect take 80% of the overall effort, with most of the work going into restorative work (e.g., plugging burnouts or stem bite throughs), manual work (hand sanding with grits from 320 to 12,000) and efforts to preservation of original markings, colours and forms.
By the way - this is the current batch of estates (finished) I'm refurbishing, and some of these took up to 30 hours of work, e.g., the Comoy Prince, which had serious bite holes in the stem and some pretty deep scratches in the bowl that needed steaming out and re-sanding with 320, 400, 600, 800 and 1000 grit.
img0129lq.jpg

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
I sent them out to a guy in PA this morning. If this works out well, I should have about 10 - 11 good clean pipes to hand out to new members at my next club meeting coming up in mid-December. Just put up 14 flyers around town to advertise my group. Now to get some more people to show up.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Haha Nice! Good luck with your club dpkrause. I hope the antismoke crusaders won't tear down your flyers. In any case you are very generous to give out pipes to new members :)

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/leather-dye/fiebings-leather-dye/fiebings-leather-dye.aspx many different colors to choose from, though you can dilute any spirit dye with 91% ISO alcohol and make infinite shades that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.