PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Who makes the best low end pipe that is not a MM. Grabow, Kaywoodie, Yellobowl? I'm curious, personally I like older Grabow.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For overall quality, workmanship, and traditional shapes that include medium size pipes, for between about $32 to $47, in briar, with durable stems, I'd have to give my critical vote to Chapuis-Comoy. You can view these at our sponsor tobaccopipes.com. These are non-filter pipes.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
There are tons of no name Italian pipes under various names that generally get stamped for any number of B&M basket pipes. Leonessa, Santini are two that I know of off hand that come in partially rusticated and smooth. They look pretty good and smoke well, they don't have the crappy, phony gloss finish on them either. Priced under $50.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Rossi, a Savinelli product, is a great smoker for the money.
Here's my Napoli 601 and Rubino Canadian:
img_20150204_150936-600x513.jpg

Older Medico's can be found for next to nothing and also are great smokers:
medico2-600x402.jpg

However, my favorite pipes that nobody ever talks about are these Canadian made Phillip Trypis pipes:
trypis2-600x376.jpg

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
Rossi pipes do have the possibility of a problem. The Rubino series, at least, have a clear coat instead of a wax finish. It makes for a pretty, smooth pipe finish, but if the pipe gets remotely hot it will bubble off. Rubbing with acetone fixes this, but beware it will remove some stain and the shine. Pipe can either be re-stained, waxed, etc...
With that said, my Rossi is quite the workhorse. I've used it more than any of my current pipes, and it works wonderfully!

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
It should be noted, that all new production Kaywoodies are now push stem without any sort of filter. So they are minus the craptacular stinger than made them famous. They are thus good quality pipes for not a lot of money.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Keep an eye on P&C they run sales from time to time on name brand pipes for really great prices. Like right now they have Big Ben Churchwardens for $49.99 that's a pretty good price for a Name Brand churchwarden in my mind.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Also at PC are Stanwell brushed brown and brushed black pipes in various shapes for $49.99. Just be sure to select a pipe without (or with) a filter, whatever you want.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
+1 to what mso said. Great burners for that price and I'm thinking of getting another.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my opinion no one beats Savinelli for smoking properties and consistency in their product. My first pipe was a Sav and it made my initial smoking experiencess great. They have a wide open draw which helps a new guy big time as the pipe will not be a wet smoker. If you do find it to smoke wet, then you know it is your technique. They use very good briar and have been at it a very long time. They have tons of pipes under 100.00 and I would put my money on Sav....oh wait, I already did. :lol:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Dr Grabow. Low end only applies to the price not the quality of performance. Great draw, no gurgle, cool smoking, all day smoker without getting soggy.
Looks good. Smokes like a champ and has a paper thin stem. I paid $9 shipped.
Gjra2YEl.jpg

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
@ Mr Fancy Pants

That is a great looking pipe, I can't believe that cost only $9 to begin with. 8O

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
With a little patience and $20 - $50 you can pickup a nice Peterson, Stanwell or Savinelli on eBay. Mario Grandi also has lots of good smokers for under $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.