Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Raise your hand if you like Pelican Pipe Tobacco! Kyle needs an address to send it to. Here's his review -

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/pelican-pipe-tobacco-review/

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
"Raise your hand if you've never had Pelican tobacco! *raises hand*"
+1. I came close on that last drop but missed it by minutes.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Pelican is a weird blend. No one seems to like it but it has legendary hype. I think people only want it because they can’t find it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not I, terrible stuff.
img_20171228_031853.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I’m always chasing Embers on the Post-your-Pelican posts. Horrible (lovely) stuff. :rofl:

ZUFlAFR.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I enjoy it a great deal! I've had both some well aged Pelican as well as some from a fresh tin a week or so ago. of course the new didn't quite measure up to the eight-year-old but I still thought it was quite nice. It will not appeal to those who like full English blends, but those who like mild blends should enjoy it very much.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Seems there are four Pelicans, the American Pelican (McClelland), the Danish Pelican (Stokkebye), the Jersey Pelican (Germain's), and the New Jersey Pelican (Arango/Germain's). :D

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Seems there are four Pelicans, the American Pelican (McClelland), the Danish Pelican (Stokkebye), the Jersey Pelican (Germain's), and the New Jersey Pelican (Arango/Germain's).
I think this is why opinions vary a bit. I have had a tin that was marked Butera Pipe Compnay, but originally had "Made in Denmark" but this was blacked out.

(which I think was done to tins where the production was switched back to Jersey, since the sticker on the back says "Made in Jersey")
Great smoke to my mind but other versions maybe not so.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I think this is why opinions vary a bit. I have had a tin that was marked Butera Pipe Compnay, but originally had "Made in Denmark" but this was blacked out.

(which I think was done to tins where the production was switched back to Jersey, since the sticker on the back says "Made in Jersey")
Exactly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Illusive blends with the same name, more or less. I've never tried it and seldom seen it offered.

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
I'm curious enough to try it once and then save the package, perhaps on a "Drawer of Infamy" or the like if what others have said is to be believed. I dunno, I'm the one guy alive in the family who likes pickled herring, so maybe I'm the one perplexing fellow here who liked it :lol:

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Thanks to the generosity of our wonderful forum members, I had the opportunity following this post to sample some Pelican. I expected little, due to the wildly varying accounts of most. I have smoked one bowl in a small clay for pure taste, and was blown away by the complexity of the tobacco, a narrow bowl not quite doing it justice, as it changed repeatedly throughout the smoke. I then put it in a fairly wide chambered bulldog meer, and man, the nuances are crazy. It is strong in the latakia department, but then grassy, haylike, spicy, smooth, bold, cool, warm. I'm not sure I am a fan, but I am not sure that I am not a fan. I look forward to working through the rest of the sample in a briar or two to see where this blend goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.