PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I picked up a few freehands that are labeled Wathen Reflection. I found very little information about this guy. He has some really good looking pipes. Does anybody own any of his pipes?
15DCE440-58BB-4A93-A210-E7848997E9E5.jpg
[/url][/img]
C5169A9A-5FC7-4107-A810-2E5255D5B089.jpg
[/url][/img]

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Made in the USA. It also appears that you may have one of his last pipes.
Wathen
Jump to: navigation, search
Kerry S. Wathen was a pipemaker who worked for a small pipe shop in south Kansas City called "The Briar Patch" in the 1970's. Tending to larger sized pipes his centerpiece was a huge briar calabash shape. When the Briar Patch closed he probably moved to Iowa where his pipes were available at David's Briar Shop in Des Moines (ca. 1977 - 1980/81).
Wathen 01.jpg
Wathen 02.jpg
Wathen2.jpg
Wathen 03.jpg
Wathen was having some problems with his hands at that time and was finally forced to give up his talented carving.
He usually inscribed his pipes with his name and two digits for the year of production like "Wathen '75". The best pieces were named "Reflection".
Kerry S. Wathen, Sr. passed away on April 1, 1985 in his hometown of Topeka, Kansas. (Submitted by William J. Franqui Sr., Kerry S. Wathen's brother-in-law).

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks Papi, all of them I received are part I the reflection series. And I'm quite fond of this calabash style pipe I received. I'd be interested to hear from someone else who has one in their collection.
DD93194A-80CC-477D-BC88-7558716F0BA1.jpg
[/url][/img]

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Boy from what I've read they sound like a rare piece.They really are nice pipes.Enjoy.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
his pipes that bear the "Reflection" label are his best work, otherwise they just bear his name and year of production.
Are they all used or unsmoked.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
You have a couple of beautiful pipes there. Sounds like they're historically significant as well. Enjoy them.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Dovetailing on what papipeguy posted above, according to the citation in Jose Manuel Lopes' book titled "Pipes - Artisans and Trademarks" Wathen is a, "North American brand of the artisan Kerry S. Wathen. In the 1970s, he produced free form (sic) and exotic pipes which he sold to the Tinder Box chain, and also worked for the tobacconist's (sic) Briar Patch, Kansas City. Stamp "Wathen"."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That freehand is a major piece of briar, beautifully worked, with plateau that goes to the moon.

Most impressive. Not a clencher, but a master work of its kind.

paulwilsonkc

Lurker
Feb 3, 2017
Hey, I just joined this group after seeing your post. Kerry Wathen was a Kansas City pipe carver.

I have 8 or 10 of his pipes. He was close friends with Lyn Byer who owns Cigar & Tabac in Overland Park, a suburb of KC.

He died a number of years ago under questionable circumstances. I'd be glad to talk to you about it more. I'll post some pictures of mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.