Who Is/Was Your Pipe Mentor?

(38 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by mso489
  • Latest reply from virginialover
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My dad was my pipe mentor, smoking pretty much daily, most of the day, while I was growing up, owning one pipe at a time and smoking only Granger. Do you have a pipe mentor? It doesn't have to be a family member. It could be a friend, or only an acquaintance who influenced you relating to pipes. It could be a celebrity who attracted you to pipe smoking, or even someone online or a Forums member. It could even be someone you saw around your home town, whose name you didn't even know, but who smoked a pipe and encouraged you in the idea. It could be several people over your life. Who were or are your pipe mentors?

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine was Doug of The Sanctuary in San Luis Obispo. I would not be a pipe smoker had I not gone into his shop. I had weakly, very weakly, been a pipe smoker and Doug set me in the right direction.

The other is Jason Dagner. His videos put me over the top of the pipe smoking mountain of knowledge to climb.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 3 months ago #
  3. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Father and several other members of the family. It also explains my crap taste in pipes and tobacco but hey ho we can't all be super hero smokers of Falcon pipes wearing our underwear over our trousers whilst we save the world from a phone box!

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipesmagazine.com

Neal
    Posted 3 months ago #
  5. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Myself and and old stinky guy who sold me my first pipe at a small tobacco shop by the fish market when I was 15. Only fishermen bought chewing tobacco, snuss and pipe tobacco there. He had very cheap pipes (mainly pearwood/pear root) in his small shop and he gave me "excellent" advices. So far, I learnt almost everything by doing it. And a little bit later internet started to spread and I could reach the literature. Inspiration for pipe smoking was Conan Doyle, Tolkien, Einstein, etc. Nobody smoked a pipe in my family, only cigarettes.

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

My pipes.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 3 months ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My father smoked a pipe briefly, but I really never paid attention to him. He was more of a Winston man.
    My uncles (mother's brothers) really took me under wing and taught me all the cool things, like hunting, fishing, cars, and I watched them smoke their pipes. And, then my grandfather's brothers, with their farmer ways of whittling, smoking pipes on the general store steps. After church, I was always running off with an uncle of sorts to go fishing, and they always were men of few words and pipes in the maws.

They never really set me down and showed me anything to do with pipes, but as kids do, I watched. I remember watching Uncle Leon sleeping in a folding chair on the porch with his pipe still a going for over an hour after dinner. Or, riding in a truck with Uncle Joe for two days for him to trade bird dogs, and him never speaking a word, just pipe in mouth, codger scoop, back in mouth, and over and over... and 18 hours in a truck with Johnny Cash, Kenny Rogers, and Donna Summer 8-tracks, three choices, that was it.

By the time I was struggling with quitting cigarettes and starting the pipe for myself, they had all passed, except one, and he had quit smoking. I never really thought of it as antiquated. I have always seen pipe smokers here. It is still not unusual for me to run into someone else smoking a pipe, we have quite a few small pipeshops here and then we have The Briary, mecca of pipe shops. Our mayor, fire marshal, and a few police officers smoke pipes. I visit daily with one old coot that smokes a pipe. I can't imagine being a pipesmoker today, isolated, feeling like the world doesn't want you. I imagine that would make me a bitter pipe guy too. If I wasn't here, where pipes and cigars are normal, I probably wouldn't smoke.

Michael
    Posted 3 months ago #
  8. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No one person. I can easily and honestly say I've learned more here than everywhere else combined.

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A co-worker and I walked into a B&M just to look around and we both walked out with a pipe and some tobacco. I guess we were each others mentor. He eventually gave up the pipe, but I stuck with it. That was 52 yrs ago.

Posted 3 months ago #
  10. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Only one. Or at least the only guy I remember watching smoke his pipe as a child. We moved to my current town in 1974, I was 3. We had these extremely nice neighbors. They sold real estate and had a large farm. The father was a well spoken educated man. Kind of a James Garner type fella. Smoked a pipe.
    He gave up smoking shortly after that. Seems his son was asthmatic and hated his smoking. I learned that recently as a matter of fact.
    The image of him smoking stuck in my head, the only real person I knew who did smoke a pipe.

Jason
    Posted 3 months ago #
  11. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had a smoke shop proprietor who would suggest blends. A couple of guys on the department smoked pipes but, we were never friends or talked pipes. I've crossed paths with other smokers in tobacco shops but, I've never had the acquaintance of another pipe smoker.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  12. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A young fella named Chris.,He worked in a local smoke shop.He tutored me my first 3 years of pipe smoking.If not for him I probably wouldn't be a pipe smoker.Chris took a job as a meat cutter.Better pay and benefits..I haven't seen him since,but I haven't forgotten him.I often wonder about how he's doing..Well I hope.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 3 months ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Dean of Students at my university. Got me in to a very good English blend, and I've tried to like others, but for now it's English and Balkans all the way for me.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  14. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dad, both grandfathers, and my Dad's good friend, Tom, who ended up with my Dad's pipes, until he past them on to me.

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In addition to my dad, my Uncle Roger smoked pipes, but in a more elaborate way than my one-pipe Granger smoking dad. I bet Uncle Roger had some upscale pipes, and I know he had a few, plus he had clay pipes, a supply, that he offered to guests. He had a mythic career in the steel industry, and a series of especially huge houses, partly for the luxury and partly for the tax break. He smoked hefty aromatics. So my dad and Uncle Roger were different kinds of pipe smokers.

Posted 3 months ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My oldest brother

Posted 3 months ago #
  17. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

mso489 -

that would be a very long list of people. Too many to try and offer as I'd surely forget to mention some.

Michael J. Glukler

Posted 3 months ago #
  18. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I don't have one. I came up entirely on my own.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 months ago #
  19. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Les Young, aka "lestrout" was/is my mentor. Les has logged over 1,000 tobacco blends, with his impression notes and he has a real ability to discern flavors and nuances in a tobacco blend. I met Les at various East-Coast club meetings and events around 2010. After complaining to him about my inability to find an English (or other) blend that I really enjoyed, Les made it his personal mission to find my ideal blend. He started bringing all manner of English blends to events for me to try. During a forum meet & greet at Boswells, he introduced me to Dunhill My Mixture 965 and Bingo, I was hooked. That was around 2011? In the following years, he brought and let me try every match blend he could find, but nothing replaced the original. Well, he did introduce me to Imperial Dubec, from the now-closed Annapolis shop and we bought their remaining stock (I have about a pound left!) I certainly appreciated and benefited from his enthusiasm and persistence to find my ideal blend, so thanks Les! And, as folks have discovered throughout the US pipe-smoking scene, Les is just a great guy (and he gets to nearly every event, coast-to-coast)

Al

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Too many to name, but one is in this thread, Mike Glukler!

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 3 months ago #
  21. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everything I know about pipe smoking comes from this forum. There are many whom I can thank and look up to in the pipe world.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can honestly say this forum and diving in to slow smoke competitions. Trial by fire, and lots and lots of reading before I joined the forum. I feel like I already knew quite a few of you before I actually posted.

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

My pipes.

Okay, just realized how facetious that post looked. I started smoking a pipe before the internet and forums. Personally knew no pipe smokers and how my pipes were smoking let me know if I was doing it wrong or right. If the smoke was too hot, smoking too fast. If I was getting tongue bite, tobacco needed to be drier.

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

chilly65

Login to Send PM

David Field (R.D.Field) and Edsel James taught me more about pipes than I deserved to know.

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

First my grandfather- he always smoked a billiard drugstore pipe all day long. His only tobacco was Prince Albert- to this day, one I have never tried. His typical day was spend sitting in a chair around the 1950s Formica kitchen table smoking the pipe and pouring his coffee into a saucer to cool it....

...and when I started making pipes and smoking more high end tobaccos 5 years ago, there was Harris- he'd stick one of my new pipes in his mouth to check the stem and make the most gawd-awful face when the button wasn't just right....and he always has the best tobacco....:)

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

My great uncle Bill smoked a pipe and occasionally rolled a cigarette. I was about 10 years old and liked the smell. It was probably a drug store burley of some sort. I grew up without a father and Uncle Bill lived two houses down from me. He tolerated me and loved to tell me all kinds of stories, some of which might actually have been true. He was an old bachelor and his house always smelled like a mixture of pipe smoke and bacon. He had an old white bird dog and every evening he made a little pan of gravy out of bacon grease and poured it over the dry chow. When I was in high school I smoked cigarettes like all the other James Dean wannabes, but just before I graduated I bought a pair of pipes in the local drug store and a pouch of Half and Half and tried to smoke a pipe. By then Uncle Bill was gone but I remembered what he did and sort of taught myself. I smoked those pipes through college and took them into the Army where I was stationed in Korea. I left one sitting at a firing range and when I hurried back to get it, it was gone. I still have the other one.

Posted 3 months ago #
  27. mahew

mahew

Login to Send PM

Sadly, I do not have a pipe smoking mentor. None of my immediate family ever smoked a pipe. I don’t recall any extended family, nor any close friends smoking a pipe. The only pipe smoker I can think of in my life was the pastor of the church I grew up in. I guess I developed an interest in pipes back in college, but I couldn’t say why. I can only speculate that my time spent on the water with wind, waves, and sails, had an image of pipe smoking associated with it and that influenced my decision. But weirdly, in all my years of yacht racing, I don’t recall anyone associated ever smoking a pipe. I guess maybe I dare to be different.

Posted 3 months ago #
  28. patiobum

patiobum

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My dad was a two pipe, one tobacco man with Sir Walter Raleigh as the one tobacco. Later, he switched to Half & Half. I really don't know why, he just did.

I went to the local Tinder Box and learned there of the different types and blends. It was there that I found my greatest love Latakia.

Through the years, many years, I learned from pipe magazines, by mail. Then the internet came along and boy howdy, have things got easy to discover. Now with U tube and pipedia there is so much information out there you would be hard pressed to not have an answer to any question. Then there is the site pipes and tobacco for opinions of any brand that's on the market.

So, in answer to the original question, I really did not have a pipe mentor, I just learned on my own.

cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.......

martin
    Posted 3 months ago #
  29. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure I could say I had one either. I learned on my own & by reading (Carl Ehwa's book & others back in the 70's. The closest thing to a mentor you could say I had was the guy who managed the Tinder Box that I worked in back around '74-'76, Jim McCloud, but that was more of a general product knowledge than an actual mentorship.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

My Dad, both Grandfathers and two Uncles.

Posted 3 months ago #
  31. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zack, all those faces I made got you to make a much better stem. The early ones really were for shit.

I learned most of what I know from the internet. First it was the old alt.pipes newsgroup. Then it was a Yahoo pipe room where hoosierpipeguy and pipestud and others hung out at. Then it was smokersforum.uk and then this site. It has been a pretty cool journey so far.

Harris
    Posted 3 months ago #
  32. tnfan

tnfan

Login to Send PM

Like Harris mostly from Internet forums. This forum and smokersforum.uk. Fred Bass was very helpful in educating me regarding meerschaums.

Posted 3 months ago #
  33. piperusak

piperusak

Login to Send PM

my hobby is cutting pipes. guided me on smoking pipe.

Posted 3 months ago #
  34. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My friend Gordon (RIP)

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/how-or-why-did-you-start-smoking-a-pipe

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 3 months ago #
  35. twangthang

twangthang

Login to Send PM

My oldest brother. Years ago he smoke Balkan Sobraine and I would love to razz him about the smell, but I always loved it.
    He told me “you’ll be a pipe smoker” and I would tell him he was crazy.
    One day I walked into a B&M and bought a pipe and some Capt Black. When I told him he gifted me a nice pipe and all kinds of tobacco to try. It’s a great hobby we share.

Posted 3 months ago #
  36. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No one I knew smoked a pipe when I was growing up.
    Something I have noticed however, now that I am a parent I am revisiting many children's books that I read as a child and feeling very fond nostalgic connections with all the many people (and animals) who are pipe smokers. In later childhood years reading chapter books I came across many more pipe smokers, especially delving into the classics.
    I wouldn't say literature is my pipe mentor, but a lifelong fondness of reading certainly encouraged and complimented the hobby!

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  37. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Way back in 2014 my fiancee at that time, a wonderful Southern belle born in Georgia and raised in Florida bought a Macqueen Barrel pipe and shared her interest with me, even though not a tobacco smoker she relished pipe tobacco. This piqued my interest and 5 years later she is no longer my fiancee but I have a few thousand dollars worth of pipe and tobacco and great friends in the community !!

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  38. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

No mentor, I knew that pipe smoking was something I would enjoy and learned what there's to know in time.

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   unkleyoda, cowboythunder, 3rdguy, calabashed, paulie66scandinavian, mrenglish, tuns, nhhiggy, jpmcwjr, renfield, cohibajoe, lightxmyfire, redglow