PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I say the next Rad, I am talking about an artisan who besides making awesome smoking pipes with amazing hand cut stems, but does it for around 350-400.00 for a new sandblasted pipe that consistently has a nice ring grain blast. Rad was known for producing some of the best smoking pipes yet purposely kept his prices down.
I have been looking for someone who is as consistent as Rad, but honestly have been finding it difficult. Abe Herbaugh makes some really nice looking pipes in the Rad price range, but I am not sure yet if he will be able to keep his pricing in line. His demand is such that he may be tempted to increase his prices just because he can.
I have been told that Jerry Crawford could be the next Rad as his pipes allegedly( this is from Peck and we all know he has shit tastes in pipes) smoke similar to Rad's but so far most of the ones I have seen from him, do not match up quality off blast wise, many of his just don't have as detailed of a ring grain that Rad used to have.
One artisan that I consider to be in Rad's category is Scott Thile, I own one of his pipes and it smokes as good as any Rad I own and his stem work is right up there. Here is a pic of the lone Thile I own.

I like the fact that Scott has kept his prices lower than most especially since I see guys who have been at it far shorter charging more money.
Are there people out there who you know of that are more in the Rad category price and quality wise?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bruce Weaver's are in the $400-$700, but are damn fine smokers. Currently have four, but my annual surprise commission is coming up in a couple of months!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Duane, totally forgot about Bruce. I own two of his pipes and love them. Bought both as estates and got nice deals on them. I do look at his site a lot but most times pipes I like are 500.00 plus. I have noticed that his really nice blasted pipes are all over 500.00 and the ones where his blasts are not great he keeps in the 400's. If he priced his best blasted pipes in the low 400's then I would say he could be the next Rad, but he knows he can get more so he does. Rad would sell his best blasts for low 4's or even high 3's if there were no shank applications.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I know, probably just biased here because he's a buddy of mine. Still, very nice pipes.

Dec 24, 2012
First, Bruce Weaver is getting up there and has had some health issues, so he is making fewer pipes than he used to. A little late for him to be the next Rad Davis - a better question might be, who will be the next Bruce Weaver?
Second, Jerry Crawford makes a great pipe in that $300-$400 range that is Harris's sweet spot. Yes, some of his blasts are better than others, but this was true for Rad as well.
I like the blast in my three Crawfords below. For the price, they are terrific smokers.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/crawford-cooke-amp-herbaugh

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jerry-crawford-pipes
There are two other candidates that come to mind, each of which makes a great pipe in that price range.
The first is Clark Layton. I have several, and they all smoke like champs, with terrific blasts.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/clark-layton-xxl-billiards
His smooths ain't bad either: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/layton-canadian-amp-lumberman
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/clark-layton-xxl-billiards
The second would be Ryan Aldan. I also own a few of his, and each is a great smoker with a beautiful blast.
I can't locate my Aldan pics at the moment but I am sure someone has some great representative examples to show here.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Sadly, that is true about Bruce. May have to hit him up for three next year just to have a seven day set.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Duane, hell if he is a buddy, order me some pipes and tell him they are for you. lol
His blast work is really unique and I can spot it right off the bat. He could be the next Rad if he wanted the job, he would sell all his blasted pipes within a day if he priced them like Rad. For example, on his for sale page, the bent apple at the bottom, it would already be sold if he priced it at 395.00 instead of 500.00. Sure he will eventually sell it for 500.00 but you and I know it would have been gone within a couple of hours if he priced like Rad. He would make 200.00 instead of 250.00 but he woulld sell them so much faster that the volume would make him more money in the end. Rad had it down so he could make 2 pipes a day and that meant 400 a day times 5 days a week equals over 100k a year working 9-5 no weekends. When Rad sent out an email listing his pipes, the blasted ones were pretty much all gone in a couple of hours tops, watch how long Bruce's pipes sit at 500.00.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. In my pajamas looking at new pipe and man it's big but so light, 3 smokes and it was broke in. Ryan has the maturity now to be the best.Sorry I didn't specify that this is an Alden pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, I had no idea that Bruce was up there age wise, for some reason I always thought of him to be around my age. That Layton with the darker stain and all that birdseye is awesome, I would pay 300.00 for that one. lol
Who has the better stemwork of Layton and Crawford?

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
@peck
OMFG- That Castello OA dublin "Virgin" finish is hands down my current favorite pipe on the planet. I have had issues acquiring the taste for 21st century art in its many forms (or lack thereof), especially regarding pipes. I'm really starting to get why you folks drool over these sometimes gaudy and weird shapes, textures and colors. If everyone liked the same things, life would be boring. Those Clark Layton smooths are no slouches either. (drool)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
10-4 on both Ryan and Clark. Their work hit truly professional cruising altitude a while back, and both are in it for the long haul.
The only thing that might make me hesitate is both of them are snarly, surly, moody, foul tempered, demanding, finicky, virtually impossible to talk to, and outrageously full of themselves. You know, artistes.
:mrgreen:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Harris, first... Welcome back. You've been missed.
Second... Here is a thread to a recent pipe of mine from Ryan. Not the best pics, but you'll get a sense for tenon, button and slot work. I think he's got it all going on right now.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ryan-alden-olive-author-pad-pictures
-- Pat

May 31, 2012
Great topic Harris,

and great to see you back in action!

:!:
I'll put my vote in for Ryan Alden as well.
His blast work in particular is incredibly consistent and it tends to be on the gnarly side.
He is the maker of the sweetest smoking pipe I own.
He does not coat his bowls.
He also has a charming personality, is extremely easy to work with, and most importantly, has the proper chops to be a smart-ass when the need arises, which is a de rigueur requirement for anyone to become a true successor of Rad "The Boss" Davis.
Reading all of Rad's posts at PMF is a joy, not only a learning experience from his depth of great knowledge, but also a fun time because of his often irreverent and humorous comments.
A fun google search is:
iawr site:www.pipemakersforum.com
Anyway,

here's a rocksolid stone-cold classic billiard that Ryan made,

I love this pipe.
HQlWYfb.jpg

ACD46WS.jpg

jRTZ1WG.jpg

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ryan-alden-aka-lonestar-big-black-badass-blasted-billiard
I own three of his pipes,

each of them is bulletproof and perform tremendously.
The other 2:
CF3EiI0.jpg

Q14BChh.jpg

6kHY5Ga.jpg

SiavHDZ.jpg

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/a-nice-pair-stubby-chubby-billiard-duo-from-ryan-alden
:puffy:

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Abe Herbaugh would get my vote,but his prices are a bit higher. I'll through Nathan Armentrout's name into the hat. Nice pipes in the right price range.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I had no idea that Bruce was up there age wise
Yep, he just celebrated 64 this year, and peck was right, he had a major health scare about this time last year.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have 5 pipes made by Dan Chlebove of Gabrieli Pipes in Bethlehem, Pa. Excellent smoking quality pipes and all hand made. His stem work is second to none in my opinion. Dan is one of the easiest guys to work with and he keeps you posted with each step he takes so you're always in the loop.
bqiXPy1.jpg

nsjVqzW.jpg

POY1.jpg
[/URL][/img]
bulldog27.jpg
[/URL][/img]

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
MLC, thanks, good to be back. Those blasts are really nice and the stems also look really well done. Not coating the bowls is a big plus in my book, I hate those bowl coatings. Ryan has certainly come a long way since he began. If Ryan can blast that consistently and keep his prices down, he might just be the next Rad, it sure would be a great reputation to have. I just checked his site and low and behold there was a pipe with my name on it. I will post a threaad in the pipe talk room showing pics of my first Alden pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.