PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Who is our resident Charatan expert or knowledgeable about these pipes? I'm looking at a couple different ones and I could use advice. I can post the advice here or PM you. Thanks.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Well, any general questions if you don't want to post links... Is one of the questions about a DE LUXE? :wink:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I would suggest that you contact Ken Barnes, who is a member here. His father ran Charatan for many years and Ken worked there before co-founding Upshall. He's a super nice guy who's always happy to help.
Well, any general questions if you don't want to post links... Is one of the questions about a DE LUXE? :wink:
A DeLuxe cutty?
There are few secrets, mostly the illusion of secrets.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Thanks guys... Maybe I'll ask Ken... Ken's already been so helpful.
Blue Room Briars is having a 15% off estate sale and they do have some nice Charatans, GBD's and a few other things. Plus, I am looking at some of Dave Neebs Charatans. They all seem to be affordable.
I love the Charatans I do have and I have been reading as much as I can about the history. I know there are folks that specifically collect them. I'm curious about the quality of warranty replacement pipes and the grades between Special and Executive.
I'm really shaky on the post-lane era stuff and even the end of the second lane era stuff.

Aug 14, 2012
Not an expert at all, but had 3 of them from Lane Ltd in the 1950s. We used to hang out at their store on 42nd st., and at the Wilke pipe shop. Only one of the 3 was a good smoker. The most interesting thing in the store was a Vuelta Abajo Cuban tobacco, of course unavailable now. It would appeal to cigar smokers. The name means down in the valley. We learned about blending there.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo las
Come to Morley's and talk to Martin. He's from NYC but also has a place in Center City, and has a collection of Charatans. Hank Saatchi and Gary Malmberg deal in high grades and know a lot about them, too.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.