PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I saw this on a signature here, and of course had to investigate.
John Galt is the fictional hero of “Atlas Shrugged,” Ayn Rand’s epic novel published in 1957. I first read Atlas Shrugged in high school, and have reread it four or five times since then. For me, no other novel even comes close.
A few months back, while clearing out a closet, I found a long-forgotten “Who is John Galt” coffee mug which also bears one of his quotes: “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” Ayn Rand’s philosophy, Objectivism, loosely stated, promotes rational self-interest and laissez-faire capitalism.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robclarfeld/2012/02/15/who-is-john-galt/
Now that is interesting. I gave up on Rand's wooden/cardboard fiction years ago, but maybe she had some interesting concepts, perhaps even some as Nietzschean as the above.
Also found a film:
https://www.whoisjohngalt.com/
I might recommend Heinlein Starship Troopers to anyone with similar interests.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"I might recommend Heinlein Starship Troopers to anyone with similar interests."
Another great man and thinker. Love the book, and liked the movie.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I re-read Atlas Shrugged about 6 months ago. Great book, IMO.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I enjoyed it but at times wanted to take a machete to it to cut through all the overgrowth.
My take on the ending is a little different then the majority. No spoilers.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
DM, "Woden/cardboard fiction" I here that in circles that can't comprehend or can't stand an individual that relates to someone Like Hank Rearden, etc. Of course some folks can't stand that much Liberty. I've read some horrible fiction, Rand Doesn't even come close. Folks have different taste, I concede that. Plus, Atlas Shrigged and We the Living are my all time favorite novels ever written, just a little bias.
The movies! Yes cardboard comes to mind.
Heinlein, is another writer that comments on society and describes his libertarian philosophy with a mix of satire. Check out The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Jah76 I hear that a lot, Atlas needing to be edited. The older I get, the longer the books get. Unless I'm reading some Louis L'Amour, now DM, that's cardboard. But damn I love L'Amour.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I agree Rand (like Tolkien) needed a good editor. Where was Maxwell Perkins?
By "cardboard" I mean that the characters are one-dimensional and the "message" is a bit front and center.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I will take all the liberty I can get, and I enjoyed some of Rand's works, but she was really not that great a thinker. Objectivism reflects the shallowness of her thought and reading of other thinkers.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Death, I can see that. Buroak is correct also, not really an original premise as far a objectivism goes. Atlas Shrugged delves into what I call the Final Solution to ending Collectivism. The Producers need to walk away, and watch the world burn. Most businesses are group controlled and have a cozy love affair with government so why walk away. I could go on, but no point.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Death:
I believe, in my heart of hearts, that Perkins had already been worn slick by the mega out-put of Thomas Wolfe and the subsequent hand holding of Fitzgerald and Hemingway who continued to ravage his health. (Perkins' last discovery was one of my favorite authors, James Jones, who wrote "From Here to Eternity" and "The Thin Red Line" and Jones sought him out based on Perkins' relationship with Wolfe.)
A great editor only has so many amazing writers in his or her lifetime. Wolfe, God bless him, would've destroyed any one man but Perkins kept slogging away and died with his boots on.
Ayn Rand could've been better served by an editor to trim her excesses but she wasn't. At the same time, her message still resonates, all these years later, with a loyal following. Like her or not, that Teddy Rooseveltian, "Fuck you, I'm building this canal because it's good for my country" rings true with many voters today.
BTW, Death, I still read the authors I've mentioned in this post every year: Wolfe deflates me, Hemingway tamps it down even further, John Dos Passos' Trilogy invigorates, Rand enthralls and Jones, brings me back to true North.
Several of these authors posed with burners stuck in their pieholes, but most of them smoked cigarettes or cigars. (Let's talk Steinbeck next time, pal.)
Fnord

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
unbelieveable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted socially crippled adulthood unable to deal with the world
Unbelievable Heroes, I'll take a stab at that first. TJ Watson comes to mind when I think of a Hank Rearden. A man that starts a company in his garage and kept the collectivist jackals(unions) at bay via merit systems, Out maneuvering what the jackals would promise etc. His company remained private for as long as he ruled over it. IBM went public and his heirs destroyed Watson's version of Rearden Steel. Case solved.
Now you know, the emotionally stunted socially crippled adults in this country and others, haven't read nor applied a thing that Ayn Rand wrote. We would be Intellectually dishonest, to take Jud's quote to heart. . These adults are socially crippled because of government education, collectivism, and Progressive Values that's passed off as forward thinking. Perhaps if One thought of "their job" as another's private property, under contract and could be abolished at the owners discretion, it would alleviate many issues in the work place. I find that the laborors I've known, can't deal with adulthood because of the lack of this very knowledge, feeling they have some power over another's private property. In other word having a "Right"to that labor.
Riddle me this, how come every time I've been told to read Atlas Shrugged, it's been from Gentlemen that run billion dollar Corporations? Never had a "Peeon" say, "Hey man, go off and spend a month reading Ayn Rand". It's Never Happened. Last time I had a discussion about Atlas, it was with my eye doctor. This gentleman is world renown, a leader in his field.
Jud you have your opinion, I've just never bought it, but it's at the base of every Rand debate. These discussions usually start out with "Rand was a Sociopath", which I usually have to guide the other individual to the reality that "they are the sociopath", regardless of whether she was or wasn't. Thanks for the comment though, it'll drive this into deeper waters.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
By the way, Read We The Living. It was published before Doctor Zhivago, and personally a better book. Not because of Rand, but because it was the first anyone had heard of the conditions of Collectivism that caused the emotionally stunted crippled adults that couldn't deal with the world, in Soviet Russia. If anything she knew where Marxism would take us, Wether you care about her philosophy or not.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
This may be true if someone blindly follows the principles in Rand's book, and expects them to just happen without any effort or work. Oh... wait... that's our current day society. Sorry, got mixed up there for a second.
We live in a world of emotionally stunted, socially crippled adults, unable to deal with the real world. It's a result of an unreasonable expectation of people that whatever they want is going to be handed to them and if you have more than me, then I should get some because I wasn't given the same opportunity. It's getting worse, not better. Whether you believe in the principles in Rand's writing or not, it might be worth dusting off the pages and re-reading it. It is not a stretch to see the parallels between the infectious spread of Collectivism in her novel and our current day society.
Sorry, but Jud's quote wreaks of the authoritarian majority attempting to minimize and devalue any thought that is outside of the mainstream and might actually effect change in our current government centric, sheeple laden, corrupt system.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I think that Jud swiped that quote from a book review on Rand, I swear I've ran across that quote before. It's used in "circles". I think it was was used masterfully to broaden the conversation. I dont bow down to Objectivism, so purple prose against Rand doesn't bother me. Rand getting blasted brings feelings of mirth. Most didn't want to admit the bricks she wrote were mirrors to divine the technocrats own demise.
The FountainHead was a bit vague to me at first, it wasn't until I realized she had tagged the media for what it was as well as Academia, that I began to enjoy it. Anthem, We The Living and Atlas Shrugged were exceptional.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@Tyler: yes, it was, come to think of it. Good idea to stick it in there.
@Fnord:
Wolfe could do it to any man (Thomas not Tom, although he also writes long books). Wolfe wrote longhand, often while standing up because of his height, using his refrigerator as a desk. He would hand great heaps of paper over to his editors, and relied on them to put it all in the right order. Reminds me of how Ray Manzarek could not initially find where in one of his solos the producers had edited out several minutes.
But, I love Wolfe, and Hemingway, and Fitzgerald. If they bring me down it is because what they say is true and has not been or cannot be rectified (you really cannot go home again). Same with Celine and Houellebecq. Steinbeck is not a favorite but I liked his method of working. Very straight-ahead and purposeful.
@skraps:
We live in a world of emotionally stunted, socially crippled adults, unable to deal with the real world. It's a result of an unreasonable expectation of people that whatever they want is going to be handed to them and if you have more than me, then I should get some because I wasn't given the same opportunity. It's getting worse, not better. Whether you believe in the principles in Rand's writing or not, it might be worth dusting off the pages and re-reading it. It is not a stretch to see the parallels between the infectious spread of Collectivism in her novel and our current day society.
What an interesting point! -- then again, I might just re-read The Genealogy of Morals or Ecce Homo. Or even Socrates, who described the exact phenomenon you do.
@perdurabo:
If anything she knew where Marxism would take us
And you bring up an excellent fact as well, which is that Alisa Rosenbaum grew up in Russia and watched the thriving businesses of her family as well as other burghers be demolished by the angry crowd. She saw the lie in action. I don't think it's political so much as philosophical: the notion that all people are equally entitled. It may have shortened her vision as well however, in contrast to Nietzsche and his quasi-mentor, the 'hauer.
@Jud:

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
True or not, that quote cracks me up every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xys3iAV_WPA

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
demolished by the angry crowd
That's called Democracy! Such a dirty little word, so misused and misunderstood. Complete rubbish, yet it finds its way into education further still. My son recently destroyed his History teacher, because of her misunderstanding of that word. "Sir, your son made a fool of me and my class today because he had a better grasp of forms of government than I did."

Status
Not open for further replies.