Who is DK on Tobaccoreviews.com Because He is a Genius.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
For more than a year, I've found that the one reviewer who really just nails it over and over again is DK on tobaccoreviews.com. HIs reviews are straightforward, thoughtful, articulate, and thorough, in short, a pleasure to read. I've taken his recommendations on tobaccos I wouldn't have tried otherwise, and he's saved me from more than I few I would have tried and hated. Does he show up here around here under a different moniker? I'd like to shake his virtual hand. Thanks, DK!

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
The bio is "Started smoking in 1982 but reviews are from tobaccos smoked 2007-present. 98% of my smoking is done in meerschaum pipes by Baki, Yanik, Altinok, etc. All reviews are based on a minimum of 1.5 oz (or whatever the smallest tin contents are) or 2 oz bulk, unless otherwise noted. And please, don't take this stuff too seriously! Reviews are based mostly on the subjective impressions of the reviewer at the time(s) the tobacco was smoked. My reviews are not intended to either encourage or deter readers from trying these blends. We all have different tastebuds, so don't let myself or anyone else tell you what to taste or not taste. Enjoy the exploration!"

I have been impressed with the detail of the reviews and the amount of tobacco that is the basis for same.

Good ol' Indiana boy to boot!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Scraps and Hedgehog: thanks for the kind words. As an aside to Hedgehog - who might find this humorous - one of my regular comic book assignments is Sonic Universe, which is based on the Sonic the Hedgehog character's world and companion characters. I was an artist on the other Sonic the Hedgehog comic for over a decade before moving to the Sonic Universe book.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've seen the DK name at TR.com on a number of occasions. Haven't focused on his write-ups too closely;

but I do notice that he's written 684 reviews since Dec., 2008. That gives him, on average, less than 4 days

to smoke a tin, or alternatively, 2oz. of bulk tobacco. Guessing he is member Dmkerr.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Jiminks, Pipestud and DK are my three go-to guys for tobacco reviews.
Any review above two stars by either of them gets my attention. Two and below, I move on to find another blend. . . . then look for the go-to guys again.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
Jim and pipestud are the only reviews I read now, guess I'm gonna check out another one!

Btw Jim I'm wondering howcome you never made a review of Peterson UF since you reviewed like everything!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Vink: I haven't tried it. I can only buy so much, and haven't had an opportunity to trade for it either. Haven't tried Rotary Navy Cut for the same reason.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great thread! I was "onto" JimInks and Pipestud, and am grateful to now have a third great voice out there.
AF- You don't have to "be on" TR to read the reviews. Just click on through.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Jiminks, Pipestud and DK are my three go-to guys for tobacco reviews.

+1
On the rare occasion I am looking at a tobacco without a review from one of these guys I feel a little lost. I don't always agree with how they rate something but there is always enough description to tell me what I want to know.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
@hedgehog I cannot thank you enough for the thread. I am a newbie trying blends and before buying a tin I always check the comments on tobaccoreviews. Unfortunately, most of the reviews there are just subjective or fake (yes fake). I was very doubtful in the beginning but then I realized that people are smoking and then just pretend tasting different kinds of things in a blend. I was smoking Erinmore Flake a while ago and reading reviews, apparently lots of people could feel pineapple taste which I wasn't (actually I am very sensitive to pineapple) just because there is a pineapple logo on the tin and guess what, there is no pineapple in Erinmore Flake. Now DK, Pipestud (I was reading his reviews from time to time) and Jiminks are becoming my favorites.
By the way, whenever I hear or see hedgehog (word) I can't keep myself from remembering this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPFhkn0xVuo

Reactions: ArtAraya