Who has had experience with Smoker's Pride pipe tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Who here smokes Smoker's Pride bulk tobacco? Saw a few varieties on the Pipe tobacco shelf at a local ciggy store but never heard of it. Does not seem to be available in pouches or tins, so I was hesitant to buy it in such a huge quantity.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Smoker's Pride is a Lane Limited product, and not all that bad depending on the blend.

I actually like to mix Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish and Prince Albert 50/50, for a blend I like to call "Fat Albert".

It's a nice, mild, all-day smoke for when I'm in the mood for an aro.
That being said, their Vanilla Cavendish is about like smoking what you rake up out of your yard in the Fall!

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
A lot of folks use PA as a cutter because of the mildness. Seems to fit the need very well. Thanks for the advice, will definatley be picking up some SP black Cavendish to mix with my PA

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have tried a couple of their flavors. The two I tried were heavily cavendished and goopy. I think one was gold something or other, not really bad but certainly not worth buying again. The one I remember more clearly was their version of a whisky cavendish. I did not find the flavor pleasant at all. I was expecting something like Borkum Riff Bourbon, but no dice. In all fairness, though, I also do not like the taste of Peterson's Irish Whisky, and it is generally regarded as a top-shelf tobacco.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Petes03, would you say that that smokers pride black cav is just BCA in a cheap bag? I have seen it for sale also, and have hesitated to buy such a large amount of something that is marketed as cheap, however i happily use BCA for mixing.

p.s I love that you call that blend Fat Albert.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Others have said SP Black Cavendish is very similar to BCA.
The only one I've tried is SP Cherry Cavendish which is pretty decent as cherry blends go. I've yet to find a truly stellar cherry blend.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've got some SP Cherry Cavendish but don't smoke it that often. For the price their not bad but I like Lane Limited TK-6 & Very Cherry a lot better. The SP Black Cavendish gets good reviews but haven't tried that one yet. I'm sure I'd probably like Lane's BCA more.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I USED to mix SP BC with some Golden Harvest "Blackberry Blend", or something or other. Oh man! I wanted to be a pipe smoker so bad! :rofl: (Golden Harvest is a RYO brand... I smoked this stuff in a MM Hardwood, more times than I care to remember).
Note: I kept some of that Blackberry RYO, to smoke again one day, specifically for recalling the days when I first stated piping.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@mortonbriar.

The are a lot alike. It's possible that the Smoker's Pride Black Cav. Is just BCA that didn't quite pass the visual quality inspection. The cut is fairly unpredictable as far as size goes. As for taste, it's been a long time since I bought any BCA, but to the best of my memory, they are very close.
When I first started smoking pipes, I smoked BCA (which my local B&M sold under the name Smoke Stack Black) and Smoker's Pride Black Cav. straight up by themselves all the time. I don't recall ever really noticing a difference. I just bought which ever one he had in stock.
Nowadays I mostly smoke Va's, Va/Pers, Va/Burs, and English/Balkan blends, but I always keep some of my Fat Albert and some Lane 1Q around for a good aro every now and then.

Most of the time, I'll buy a big tub of Prince Albert, and a big bag of SP Black Cav., dump them in a big bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and shake for about 3 or 4 min.

I think there's about an ounce difference in the weight of the PA tub vs. the SP Black bag, but it's pretty close to a 50/50 mix.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I will own the vanilla cav as a guilty pleasure. Burns easy, super mild, good room note. Plus, the fluffy way it's cut is fun to pack. I can get it here in WA on the res pretty cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.