Who Has Done Any Tobacco Aging Experiments?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Yes - the last thread got me thinking about the science of aging tobacco. I'm aware of Pease's writings. I'm aware many manufacturers laugh at the idea of aging their tobacco. I'm also aware still other manufacturers sell blends that they suggest we age. Can anyone point me to an actual experiment? I'd like to see the following comparison for example with 4 samples of the same tobacco:
Tobacco #1: 10 years old, sealed tin, never opened.

Tobacco #2: 10 years old, but removed from tin and "sealed" in Ball Mason jar with room for lots of oxygen.

Tobacco #3: 10 years old, but removed from tin and "sealed" in Ball Mason jar packed tightly with little room for oxygen.

Tobacco #4: 10 years old, but removed from tin and sealed in an oxygen-free environment (open to best ideas on removing all oxygen. Light a match, seal a jar, match burns all the oxygen and goes out?)
Has anyone ever done such a thing? Is there a chemist among us who could actually test sugar contents of new vs. 5, 10, 20 year old tobacco?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have smoked many blends fresh and smoked the same blend with varying amounts of age on them, some as much as 25 yrs. Of course, you can only do this with blends with enough years to do so. McClelland blends make this possible. I did it recently with a fresh tin of Chelsea Morning and a 3 yr. old tin opened at the same time. Blame it on ageing or "marrying" but with that blend I found a marked improvement to my tastes. Virginias, I did this with McClelland #27 from 1995 and 2014. Wow! I could go on. In every case, for me, age makes tobacco better. Smoother, better "behaved etc. Maybe in a couple of years, when I retire, I'll do more of this but for me, I get more pleasure out of enjoying tobaccos than doing experiments. My 2 cents.

Mike S.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Mike - have you ever had the opportunity to sample the same tobacco stored two different ways? As in - tobacco 5 years in the tin against that same tobacco you had put in a mason jar for that 5 years instead?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Matt. Not really. I do have Va #1 in both so, I could but the bulk Va#1 I have will probably sit for years more. I have a bunch of FVF from 2006 in jars but, I never buy it in tins because it isn't a favorite ( I find I prefer broken flakes to flakes). I am hoping that 10 more years will make me love FVF. I haven't jarred anything since 2009. Most of wat I have in jars I have because it wasn't or isn't tinned. I have never baked a tin. Mother nature and Father Time.
Mike S.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Baking Tins

Hadn't heard of baking tins, but searched around and the tread I linked to was very informative. I might try a test with two fresh tins of straight Virginia and see if I can tell a difference (and if I like said difference).
And to help anyone who doesn't want to search and read a ton: Bake a sealed tin for 2:20 at 220 farenheit. Let cool. Wait a week. Then compare the uncooked tobacco against the baked.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I had posted my thoughts of my lil experiment in another thread. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to go out of my way to age a blend because the result is not worth the time in my opinion. I actually preferred my "fresh" tobacco over the aged tobacco in that experiment. I will continue to cellar cause I already have a shit load of tobacco stored away but I'm not getting all excited about sitting on a tin for 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.