Who Has A Set Of Criteria When Buying A Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
After years of buying pipes with not much thought put into it, I finally established a set of criteria that I follow before I pull the trigger on a new or estate pipe. I smoke flake tobacco exclusively so I buy my pipes based upon how well I think a particular pipe will smoke my flakes. I have finally stopped buying pipes that are too big and too heavy for my smoking style and for the tobacco I smoke.
I am a clencher so trying to clench an 80 gram pipe is just too uncomfortable. Smoking flakes in large group 6's and larger just does not work for me as it can take 3 plus hours to get through one bowl and by the time I am done the tobacco becomes bitter. So I finally figured out what I should be looking for when I buy a pipe.
First thing is the shape of the pipe. I have found that I really enjoy the following shapes for my flakes. Dublins, Apples,Billiards,Rhodesians,Brandy's,Cherrywoods and Lovats.

I then set up a weight limit for my pipes, no more than 55 grams for a straight and no more than 60 for a bent. My sweet spot is right around 45-50. I then figured out that I only like to have vulcanite stems on my pipes, no more acrylic as it is just too hard on my teeth. I also only want a hand cut stem made of the highest quality German vulcanite as it is more comfortable, it makes the pipe smoke better, it is easier to keep clean and it does not stink like the lower quality vulcanite can.

I also like the button to be of a certain shape and style. I am not sure what shape style it is called but I know it when I see it.

Next up are the dimensions of my pipes. I only buy pipes that are either group 4 or 5, 3 is too small, 6 is too big. I want the inside bowl depth to be no greater than 1.75 inches, inside diameter to be no greater than 13/16 and bowl height to be no more than 2”. I then figured out that I like my pipes to have a shank dimension of 4.0 to 4.3 mm. I find they smoke nice and dry and they practically smoke themselves. Next is the length of my pipes, if it is a straight pipe nothing more than 6.5 inches as anything more seems awkward.
Next up is the finish of the pipe, I really like the look and feel of a sandblasted pipe that has a reaally nice blast on it. I had my years of chasing perfect straight grain but learned I cannot smoke grain, so I do not chase that anymore.
This criteria I have set up has only been in effect for the last 2.5 years, basically since I bought my first Rad Davis pipe on August 5th 2012, that pipe changed how I viewed pipes from that point on. I wanted all my pipes to smoke like that first Rad so I had to figure out what it was about that pipe that made it smoke so good. Some if it was because of the quality of the briar he uses, but most of it was because of the size, shape, construction, dimensions of the pipe. I now own 30 artisan made pipes and love them all. Yes there were a couple of misses even with my criteria, but that is way better that what I was doing before. I was smoking some really nice pipes before I set up my criteria with some of them being even more expensive than what I buy now, but not a one smokes as good or is as comfortable as the pipes I smoke today.
So have any of you established a set of criteria when it comes to buying your pipes. I have been at this 15 years and been through tons of different pipes but I have never been happier with my collection than I am right now. I finally put some real thought into how I buy a pipe and how that pipe will smoke my favorite blends.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Yes, I also have criteria for purchasing a pipe. Very simple and I do not deviate from it. I never buy a pipe I have not fondled (no mail order or custom built). It must fit my eye, be bent to some degree, fit and finish must be good, and it must fit my fist. After purchasing a pipe, if it does not mature into a "proper" smoker, into the trash it goes.
I have only seen one pipe in a photograph which made me want to deviate from my criteria. It was unfortunately sold. That particular craftsman has an "artist's" eye and appears to execute his ideas flawlessly. I keep an eye out for his work and might yet find another that would lead me to buy a pipe only seen in a photo.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"So have any of you established a set of criteria when it comes to buying your pipes."
Yes. I have had pipes/tobacco for 20 years, but only recently decided to get serious about it. I don't clench so stem material is not really important. All my briars are Zulus, which are medium size. I took an immediate liking to the Zulu and have not strayed. So far, has worked well for me. As to how any given pipe will smoke with my favorite tobaccos, I have a lot to learn. Enjoy your posts.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I may be a bit unusual but I managed it a little differently. Years ago I found a GBD I just loved (9438 Saddle Bit Bent Rhodesian) Now that pipe was made in several versions and about 25 different finishes. They became my collection. I do own a number artisan pieces and some high grade factory pipes (mostly Rhodies and Dogs) but more because I love the way they look and most do smoke well. But for smoking, those old GBDs just suit me. Admittedly, not very imaginative but it's worked for me. What was interesting however is just how close many of your measures seemed to apply at least to some degree. Not to suggest those old GBDs are the equal of artisan high grades but in their own way exhibit many of what you think are important qualities.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I'm at the beginning of my pipe collection: two Petersons, one Radice, one Missouri Meerschaum, and a Scott Hudson, currently being made. This represents one Bent Bulldog, two Billiards, one Cob, and one Poker. That's also the order in which I got them. I'm thinking I'm good enough with smooth stained Petersons (one), and am looking at their sandblasted, wishing they made more. The Radice is their Rind rustication, and I like how they do it, so those are still in my planning for future pipes. I also like the brand in general, and am attracted to their Clear versions. I like larger pipes, and Radice has several I want. I also want money.
I'm not decided whether to go with straight pipes for awhile longer or get some style of Bent Billard or Bent Pot, or even Bent Apple. Radice's version of a Bent Apple appeals to me more than some others I've seen. I've been considering one of the sandblasted Peterson Sherlock Holmes pipes: the Scholar, i.e. the Moriarty. I'm a math dilettante, so it seems somewhat apt, plus I'm a fan of Holmes, his adventures and his mind.
I have a very abstract criterion. I wrote about it today in my Building Your Collection thread. Of course, like everyone, there's aesthetic criteria also behind my choices. When I look at bent pipes, some styles attract me more than others. The curves matter; also the thickness of the shank and stem. I live alone (where, oh where, is The Woman?) and smoke at home, so I'm not influenced by how the pipe is perceived by others. I have no friends who smoke, either, so I'm making choices solely from my own nature. Online smokers do not influence me, as far as I can tell, except in showing me brands and types.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cigrmaster, I admire your considered, analytical, methodic approach, and I sense that this adds significantly to your satisfaction with your pipes and your smoking experience. This is a real accomplishment. My criteria are certainly rigorous, but tend to be a somewhat more frenetic. I also prefer mid-size and smaller pipes, although I have all sizes Group 1 to 6, or thereabouts, and use them all as appropriate. For my purposes, some real low-end pipes seem to give excellent use, though these have to be selected carefully, moreso than pricier pipes where you usually can expect some good craftsmanship, engineering, and design as part of the package. I think my criteria come with a lot of shopping and looking at hundreds, maybe thousands, of pipes that I do not buy. When I buy some pipes, I have been looking at them for a year or two or more. This was true of a Johs Dublin blast of rather rakish cut that I fiinally bought after about three years from Iwan Ries. Boy, did I get that right, if I do say so -- incredibly light weight, excellent ample bowl, and just a treasure in hand. It was as if it improved with age (not true, but so it seems). I bought this on sale, so I paid even less than the price IR had been asking. Why the pipe went unsold so long, I have no idea. But I felt truly rewarded in the pipe I received.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Sort of? I also primarily smoke - or smoked - flakes. Lately I've been whole hog on Dorchester as my main tobacco, which is just a terrible road to travel as I don't typically hoard large amounts of any one blend. That said, I think flakes can work in almost any pipe so I have very large ones that I smoke them in as well.
Lately I've been sticking to smooth pipes or very nice blasts, but I did pick up a Castello Sea Rock today because I actually think the 93 shape works best in Sea Rock. Smooth versions of the shape just don't do it for me, and I've only seen one OA - one a friend owns - that does it for me in sandblast.
FullSizeRender.jpg

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
1. I like it

2. I have the funds and my wife will not physically assault me for making said purchase

3. I am reasonably confident the maker does not suck at his job

4. no one else got to it first

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Weight is a very important factor in my selection process although I tend to go by just feeling it in my hand if it's an in person type purchase.
I smoke flakes, lat blends, Virginias and VaPer's so I'm considering what I might want to smoke in a potential new pipe as I'm sizing it up. Sometimes I'm dead wrong and it ends up smoking the least likely tobacco candidate the best out of the others.
Engineering, I can't stand ratty looking draft holes that look like a termite did all the work. I see this more than I'd like, even on artisan pipes.
I like grain and if it's a smooth pipe with good grain, especially cross grain, it goes into the "could be" pile but I also appreciate a nice blast so in reality I'm not too picky.
Vulcanite over acrylic but it's not always a deal breaker
Button, slim, wide and finished internally, not just a hole or a slot. I've got some well done bits from factory mades and some crapy ones on hand mades. I look with a critical eye these days.
Tenon to mortise fit and finish. I don't like huge gaps, it's not that hard to stop drilling when the tenon length is known.
Bowl coating, I'd prefer none on a hand made but if it's proprietary and the maker offers a reasonable explanation I'm ok with it.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Absolutely.
#1- Weight should be under 45 grams. Size should be reasonable as well, except for calabashes

#2- Shape should be traditional, esp. billiards and Canadians

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
It's similar to women, I used to think I have a strict set of criteria, but not until I saw one that defies almost all of them at my first sight. Now I can only say that I tend to like pipes with certain properties more, such as being light under 40g or even 30g, with a thin tapered mouthpiece towards the button, etc.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
This is very interesting Cigrmaster. I am an OCD scientist type. I could easily see myself having such criteria someday. But as a scientist, I need the data first. I have only been smoking for 3 months and I'm sure that I could not really define a good smoker or know one if I smoked one. I have not even nailed down for sure which tobaccos I like and don't like. I'm not rejecting any of them yet. I still buy pipes with my heart. Something about them appeals to me aesthetically. I would be not surprised if in a few years some of these pipes get sold as I see which ones I like to smoke and which ones I don't. I am still clearly in the discovery phase of this process. I am having fun on this journey.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I kinda follow daimyo's methodology. Do I like it? Do the kids all have shoes?

Aug 14, 2012
Harris: Glad to hear you are back. My criteria: at least 6" long, a slim billiard, Crosby or prince, and a Dunhill but no shell briars or cumberlands. The size should be 1 to 4.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Some great replies guys, thanks for participating. It looks like some are like me and have a set criteria and some are seat of the pants guys which is fine as well. The beauty about pipes is there are no set rules and it is all about personal choice.
For beginners it is really not feasible to have a criteria yet as you don't know what types of pipes you enjoy yet. For the beginner, the only thing I can suggest is to buy from a quality company known for producing consistent pipes. I always recommend buying pipes from Savinelli for the new folks as I believe their open draw makes for a better smoking experience and they are known for making consistent pipes.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I think that there's an evolutionary process with pipe collectors that are pipe smokers first.
I fly fish and I remember reading how with every Flyfisher the first evolutionary phase is to catch as many fish as possible.
The second phase is to catch the largest fish possible.
The final evolutionary phase is to catch only the most wary and selective of fish, in other words the ones that are damn near impossible to catch.
I see similarities in this hobby.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
As still a fairly new smoker, I'm still trying to figure out just what shapes/styles are my absolute favorite.
I've often found myself to enjoy straight or slightly bent pipes, though I just purchased a bent apple Neerup that I absolutely love, and I have a Peterson Killarney 221 that's been a lovely bent pipe that's excellent for quenching.
I suppose the most important thing to me is how the pipe fits in my hand. I only like medium to large pipes, as I have quite large hands. Even a slightly smaller pipe doesn't fit me well, so I've been enjoying slightly larger pipes!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
chalbach72, I am also a big guy, I go 6'4" and weigh 210 and in the beginning of my pipe buying I only bought large pipes because they fit me better looks wise and fit in my hand well. I found smaller pipes to just be kind of weird when I held them. After a number of years I became a clencher and my big pipes were just too heavy so I sold them all. Now I don't care how the pipe looks and I only buy pipes group 4-5 which is way less than the 6's and ODA's and larger I used to own. I think everyone has to go at their own pace in this journey and find what works for them. If someone had told me I would ever own a bunch of group 4 pipes 4 years ago, I would have told them they were nuts. Hell I used to believe I was not getting enough briar for my money with a smaller pipe. lol

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
At pipe shows, I have seen thousands of pipes. Over the last couple years, I have some criteria.
First, must have a taper stem. Saddle, diamond etc just get ignored.

Second, NO bamboo, plateau

Third, Prefer slight bent, but open to straight.

Fourth, Shorter pipes are prefered 5 1/2" is about ideal for me.
Finally must feel good in the hand, since I never clench, unless I am trying to light the pipe.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
cigrmaster, I tend to occasionally clench as well, so I make sure not to buy anything just massive! The largest pipe I've bought has been my latest purchase of a Neerup Classic. I'm still finding what I like, though I typically do still go for a nice straight or slightly bent pipe (all but my neerup are this style)
Winston, I like that you also don't like bamboo. I never really found it appealing on a pipe; I don't really know why, I just don't find it aesthetically pleasing! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.