Who Has a Brigham Chinook Billiard or Canadian?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Hi, I am thinking about buying either the canadian, or billiard in the chinook line of Brighams. The thing is that the walls of the bowl are coming in just over one quarter inch... pretty thin but then again, that looks similar to a lot of dunhills, but maybe it all comes down to the quality of the briar? anyone have experience with said brigham chinook billiard or canadian shapes? Or maybe about the quality of briar used in the chinook line? I heard that they are made in france as opposed to the other lines of pipes that they make supposedly made in italy I think. Thanks for your help.
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't own one, but owners seem really pleased with them. The rock maple inserts are another filter to keep

up with, but they can be cleaned and re-used, and people say they reward the effort. I'm sorry they've been

farmed out from Canada to France and Italy (?), but reports are still good. So many pipes aren't made in the

nations where they began, sadly.

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Ok thanks, but some of the shapes in that line have much thicker walls on the chamber, so I am really wondering about those specific shapes in that specific line...

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I among the other Canucks and lovers of the Brigham line own many Brighams. I do find that the Chinooks are a bit thinner than I would like, and if you are just beginning to smoke, I would suggest a different line like the mountaineer series. They are thicker, and until you get your smoking cadence down, you might find some of the Chinooks a bit too thin on some of the bowls. If you are a fast puffer, you'll certainly feel it in the thinner walls.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Chinook: the looks, the way it smokes, and it's a great smoker, but to answer your question about the thickness, yes I do find the Chinooks to be a bit thinner than what I would like.

You shouldn't get too caught up in where it's made...the Brighams now are just as good as the Canadian made Brighams, and you will quickly learn to LOVE the filters. Washable, cheap, and they certainly do their job (both in keeping the smoke cooler, and condensing the amount of moisture), the filters are the primary drawing point for Brighams.

If you like the looks of the Chinook line, get one...don't let the thickness deter you, just don't puff too fast or too hard.
Shutterbug

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
great! thanks for the reply. I am a slow puffer, so it shouldn't be a problem. I guess it's kinda hard for me to shell out the $110 bucks for something with thinner walls like this, but hey many high end pipes that are known to smoke great have similar chamber wall thicknesses so... there you go.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Dawnpiper, I have 2 Chinooks, the 426 Saucer/Rhodesian shape which has really thick walls, and the 47 Bent Billiard shape. Both are superb smokers, the 426 still being my all time favourite pipe even compared with my Dunhill, Peterson, Savinelli and Artisan pipe. I'm actually looking to build a 7 day set of the Chinook line as I love the finish on them. I would whole heartedly go for the Chinook and try the pipe with the filter and without, smokes just fine either way.
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.