Who Else Is Retired?

(29 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from instymp
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The question came to me after reading didache's retirement thread. I became officially retired this past August 15th when I sold my last business. I had been a small business owner since 1990. I have really enjoyed having no business stress in my life. Waking up every day with no thoughts as to what might have gone wrong with the business is really enjoyable.

So who else is retired on this site.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guilty as charged.

Outside of a few health issues, I wouldn't change the last year and a half for anything.

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm retired 5 years now at age 64, and loving the stress free life.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m 75 and twice retired: once as a naval officer, and once as a rabbi. Of course, you never really fully retire as a rabbi—you just leave the congregational aspects behind. That leaves me time for study, polishing my pipes, the fun reading I always meant to get around to, but never did, and so forth. One of the really fun aspects: I’ve always had truly dreadful penmanship. In fact, the word “penmanship” was an oxymoron when it came to my handwriting. So, I acquired a book called “Write Now,” which taught me to write in a fairly attractive script, truly for true first time in my life. My wife gave me a gift of a beautiful fountain pen, and that was the beginning of a collection of close to one hundred pens of varying types, qualities, etc. I enjoy writing letters by hand and getting back the expressions of delight from people who have received a handwritten letter in this digital age. I’m involved with INCOWRIMO, an international program whose members write a handwritten letter every day during the month of February. Talk about fun! Along the way I’ve also acquired a collection of different inks, and some knowledge about pens, the way they work, construction, etc. It’s been a blast all the way. In fact, these days I’m so busy that I wonder how I ever had time for work.

Funny thing about this retirement gig: I was talking to a young cousin, aged all of 16, who told me how lucky I was, to be able to live, not have to work, etc., and she concluded with, “Gee, I wish I could do that.” And I told her: “Hayley, you can. It’s a piece of cake. Here’s how—I earned it. I worked for fifty years, and what I’ve got now is the reward for all that. So all you need to do is work real hard for the next fifty years and you can have it too.” Ah, the foolishness of their young!

Eric
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I retired from law enforcement (38 yrs) on May 1, 2009. I wish I had stayed a little longer. After retiring, my health seemed to take a nose dive.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I retired a year and half ago and loving it. I have taken procrastination to a new level. Seems like I don't get anything done except piping.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ravkesef, wow what a post. Thanks for sharing that. You obviously have led a really interesting life. That pen collection must be something, I would love to see some pics of them. I am a lefty and my handwriting is so illegible it looks like an 8 year old. I am amazed that you were able to train yourself to write so well, I had no idea something like that was possible.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am 70. Retired 3 times from 3 different businesses. Just began my 4th business. I love life and working at what I love doing.

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Retired from my profession back in '86. Worked various positions until 2004 when I decided to chase wildlife with a camera full time. So, now I work for myself doing what I love. Long hours in the summer light, not so much during the short winter days. Out of doors, hauling too much equipment, for the rare reward of catching a bear or other critter being themselves. And, I've got the greatest office in the world.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Lucky [Worked my ass off] to have retired in comfort 14 yrs. ago at age 55.
    My signature line below says it all.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Retired tree climber here...hung the rope, saddle and spikes up in June 17'

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Retired 10 years at 55. Bestt thing I ever did.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

7 years 5 months to go, not that I am counting.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

May 4th is my date. Thirty two years in law enforcement is enough.

Mike S.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, like several of you I hung it up a year-and-a-half ago. Loving it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

briarbuda48

Login to Send PM

I’ve got seven to twelve years left before I retire. I envy you folks a little. Congratulations.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. swb118

swb118

Login to Send PM

Retired from law enforcement 2013. Unretired 8 months later.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I go out at 64, that means I only have 24 years to go, but who's counting.

Spent my first 12 years working in various retail positions from cashier/sales clerk to management. Spent the last 11+ years working in Law Enforcement as an Animal Control Officer. If things remain the same that will give me 34 years as an ACO.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my sixty-fifth year, and after 40 years a pulmonologist, I have retired from clinical practice. I can't say I miss it - the NHS has changed a lot in the past decade. The 'stress-relief' factor is huge!

I will continue my research and academic duties for the university, much of which can be done from home (with a pipe!). These are virtually stress-free and keep the old brain sharp. I will keep them going for as long as I find them enjoyable.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I retired in 2013 at age 65. It wasn't until about 8 months or so later that I 'found' pipes and pipe tobacco.
    Staying interested in your day and happy with your 'retirement' is a whole lot easier for a pipe smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Retired from gigs with the U.S. Navy, Veterans Administration (as it was then called), and mostly the National Institutes of Health, for a total of 40 years, in 2011. I had time off for grad school and a job as a audio-visual script writer and some contract writing editing work. I still do some writing for publication, of various kinds. I highly recommend retiring if/when you can do it. Just don't become sedentary -- keep going and doing. If you need to work to do so, do that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stopped going to an office 30 years ago, at age 43, though it didn't feel like I had retired- though I had.

When in my 20's and 30's, I thought it was a joke that anyone considered 18 holes of golf as exercise. Now, it's my main form of exercise, and I am grateful for it. With a lay off of 35 years, finding my game again is a long process.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Retired in '99.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everyone seems to hate working. It isn't the work, it's the job. Something to think about.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Had hoped to retire in 1 year when I hit 65. But $-wise looks like it might be 66. Hopefully I can afford to retire some day period. Deathmetal, it is the work not the job, though my work can occasionally be stressful. I simply do not want to "have to" adhere to any kind of work schedule or hold work responsibilities. Apart from the $ aspect about retiring, biggest concern is potential boredom.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like there are a lot of us old farts hanging out here. In 1996 I hired a manager to run my businesses and he was great. He took over the day to day stuff, but I still had the stress of owning the businesses and now that stress is totally gone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

I retired 11 years ago after a 40 year ownership of a Farm Supply business (livestock feed and supplies, fertilizer, crop chemicals and grain.) My Dad started and owned the business before I got fed up with The Corporate Rat Race. The business had operated for 75 years and my son wanted to take.over but the business model of the industry was going through dramatic changes. There were many mergers taking place and opened the door to foreign corporations and huge Co-Ops taking over. Although we were a very strong business, Mom and Pop businesses simply couldn’t compete with the deep pockets.so I sold the business to a Japanese Company. My son who has a BS from Purdue Anniversity in Agronomy. He now i is a consultant for 3 very large farmers with acreages totaling 57,000 acres and is happy as a bug in a rug.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I retired out of the Army in January of 2016. I took English courses to get endorsed in English, and am in my first semester of grad school which will grant my Masters in Teaching in 2019. I will likely be retired twenty years after that, at 68. My wife and I are already planning on selling our house in Vancouver, WA and moving to Vashon island, WA at some point once our kids are all married off and established elsewhere.

It doesn't reflect well when looking at a map, but Vashon Island is like this crazy time warp paradise place in the middle of the Puget Sound. Home values are on par-ish with where we are, so we should be able to sell our 5br/4 bath house and downsize in retirement to a lovely 3/2 on the island... with a small detached shop so I can convert it to a mancave and smoke in peace... in paradise.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Am 70.5, sold our business in 10/2015. Just starting to relax & the only thing I worry about is that the payments for the sale keep coming in!
    (& they always do, on time!) But being a type A.............

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper