PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
It seems like with all the cob through Dunhill's discussions, Pete's seem like one of the few commonly loved pipe brands. Lots of people don't like the system but they seem to sell as many that areny system pipes. I am not typically a bent pipe buyer buy think of all the Bents out the, Pete's make the best shape - there Mark Twain style which I've seen them adapt to their House pipes. I also love the way the P-lip hangs from your mouth. I also love there storied history and broad style, not to mention that with their racing green series, they got green pipes right. What's your favorite things about Petes?

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Peterson seems to make down-to-earth, traditional pipes while still keeping them fancy without being pretentious. They are the average man pipe with a great history, great looking pipes, great people (at least it seems so) behind the business, and a great niche in the market. Though I've only owned 2 they have to be my favorite company all around.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Everything! I'm a huge Pete Nut. I got into them because my dad's side of the family is mostly Irish and I have a huge love for Ireland. So when I got more into pipes and learned of Peterson I had to have one. Got an Aran B5 as a starter. I love it. Still has the vulcanite stem, and it smokes wonderfully. It was the first P-Lip I ever bought and I absolutely love it. Wish I could get replacement P-Lips for my non-Peterson pipes. The P-Lip smokes a lot cooler for me and is a lot better on my gums than the fishtail stems. I love the history behind Pete's as well. They've been around since 1865 and they still make good-great pipes at reasonable prices. I also love their tobaccos. Huge fan of Connoisseur's Choice and Sunset Breeze. There really isn't a blend I've hated (my stomach still doesn't agree with Old Dublin though lol). Can't wait to stock up on more Pete's when I get back to work. Have a huge list of pipes and accessories I'm wanting to get.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I like the Petes for their looks and the way they smoke,great pipes.I only have two at the moment.a Sherlock Holmes Original and an Aran 268 but I have two on my list.My next buy ( I'm still saving )will be straight Antique 1904 then Sherlock Holmes Mycroft.Peterson Aros are among my favourites as well and like lotpr I favour Connoisseur's Choice and Sunset Breeze. :puffpipe:

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Why not have a look at "The Pete Nuts Group" here on this very forum, alternatively, just google the International Peterson Pipe Club and all will be revealed. All the information that you could ever need and a sterling bunch of Guys who enjoy nothing more than sharing their Petes of all ages and models.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
Got my love for petes, when able I'll be going for an irish sea of some shape since I love the blue green colour on them. My next purchase will definetly be a pete bulldog.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
What to say that has not been said? I'd say my favourite thing about Petes, is the metalwork! It's made dating pipes unbelievably easy, keeps the shank from cracking, and has a style that is very distinctly 'Peterson'. You can rest assured my next purchase will again be Peterson.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I am not a big Pete fan either. The P-lip is pain to run pipe cleaners through and clean - hence it is a struggle if I want to run a pipe cleaner into the pipe during smoke to eliminate pipe gurgle. Now I do have a large Peterson Shamrock that doesn't have a P-Lip and it is very good smoker. I just prefer a straight draw.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i have never tried their tobacco, and am perfectly open to it. i am sure i will try some at one point or another.

i have had three peterson pipes and kept one. i am sure i will try another here or there. the two i opted to not keep were both p-lips. i am just not a fan. i kept a kapet (150)bulldog and it smokes well enough. it does like to gurgle now and again. i personally blame this on their insane huge mortise small tenon combination. at some point i will lengthen the tenon to see if it makes a difference.

i do agree with marmal4de that one of their best assets is their metal work. it adds curb appeal and i also like the strength a band adds to the shank. i do also like the general thickness of petes.

it is what it is.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a Donegal Rocky 80s fishtail (bulldog) and, as I've mentioned many times, it's got the best feel in hand and mouth.

The balance is perfect too. Arguably the most comfortable pipe I own.

DSCN0460.jpg

I think the draw is too open for most of the tobaccos I smoke, but it works well with Va. flakes.

If I put a round toothpick in the stem (ala Savinelli filters) the draw becomes more "normal".

Status
Not open for further replies.