Who Buys These Pipes?

(76 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from admiral
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was searching out a pipe maker I had never heard of when I ran across this site. I am amazed at what people are calling pipes today. These crazy shapes are selling as they show a bunch as being sold. So who do you think buys these things? I cannot see guys my age buying them. Is it the younger generation, is it a certain region of the world? I have no idea but it is kind of interesting. Check out the link below.

http://pipesart.com/catalog.php?cid=825

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hipster fare I would think. Certainly not for me...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. scrooge

scrooge

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like em. But way way out of my price range.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. leatherman

leatherman

Login to Send PM

While some of those pipes are very freeform in their style, many on that site resemble the stylized blowfish, poker, volcano and horn shapes I see on sp.com by mainstream carvers.

As to who smokes them, I couldn't venture a guess, though I do imagine some people use pipes as fashion accessories and that some of these fall into that category.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

I do. I am not a hipster. I have pipes from 12 of the listed makers. Uwe Maier and Savenko being the most far out specimens I collect. I love them. Ordinary pipes can get boring, although I have many of them. I recently sold all my dunhill and Peterson pipes, as they provided me with no special enjoyment . These prices are retail, many of these can be had for significantly less via auctions.

While the unconventional shape will not appeal to the majority, they do for me. My pipe collection runs the gamut, why not have some unique "art" pipes, makes the collection stronger or at least unique and supports individual pipe artisans at the same time .

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. addamsruspipe

addamsruspipe

Login to Send PM

As long as they smoke well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I saw several on that page that I would like, out of my price range though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

There's a couple on there that I wouldn't mine owning ,but as previously stated it's the price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

wasnsfisher

Login to Send PM

I want the first green one

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Vilma Armelinni makes some beautiful pipes which are reasonably priced. I don't have one of hers, but I do have one from her father. If she's as good as he was, it would be workth the money.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. piffyr

piffyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those that like pipes of non-traditional design are the ones that buy these pipes. I like some of them and despise some others, but I can appreciate the craftsmanship required to make most of them. Manfred Hortig, for example, almost always impresses me with his creativity and use of negative space in his designs. Now, if he could just pay as much attention to the stem as he does the stummel...

RESPECT THE PIPE!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like a lot of the olivewood pipes. But $350 is my cut-off point for pipe buying, plus i prefer estates already broke in.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can appreciate the work that goes into producing an artisan pipe even if the shape doesn't grab me. I own pipes to use not display (not saying anything about those that do in any way), and some of those look a little cumbersome to enjoy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. drydock

drydock

Login to Send PM

I have purchased a Benjamin Westerheide pipe--quite small, a scoop style, with one of the finest bits/lip I've ever encountered: sublime work.

There's a distinction to be made between pipe smokers & pipe collectors. I can see many of the pipes in the above link being purchased not to smoke, but rather as a small sculptural object, something to be held, turned over and admired from many angles. Many of those pipes display remarkable wood and unusual material and/or shape combinations.

Personally, I like my pipes a bit more traditional, but I'm grateful for artisans out there exploring grain, innovative materials and freehand styles, pretty amazing work.

“Difficulties are what makes it honorable and interesting to be alive.” Florida Scott-Maxwell
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer classical shapes, but if a pipe artfully deviates from those norms, I can also like these pipes.

But notice that the name of site signals its intention, to sell pipe art; many of the pipes are shaped not according to classical standards but instead to a widely deviating albeit artful display of imagination, wherein the chamber and burning tobacco are often secondary to an extra artistic freedom quite beyond a so-called normal freehand.

But this site has been around for awhile and is obviously accepts free freehands. I'm sure carvers that like to make such pipes know that the site is fine with such work and that they are free to carve with imagination.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a fan of many of the artisans listed on that site, although most of those pipes are beyond what I'm able to spend on a pipe. Regardless, if I were able to spend that much on a pipe, I'd treat it the same as I would any pipe... if it has two holes in it, it's meant to be smoked.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

Got friends buying these for collector's purpose or as piece of art for decoration
    I turn to own also few pieces that I would never fire up. Just too beautiful, and given the fact one such piece can take months of manual carving ...

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Among them are traditional shapes nicely executed, so let's cross them off in this discussion. The others are pipes done as sculpture. For the purpose of discussion, I'll assume that they are also well drilled and smoke at least well, and maybe some smoke outstandingly well. I like their creativity, level of difficulty to carve/craft/finish, especially their originality. I think it misses the point to smoke these alone. They are dramatic, downright theatrical. Some likely have heft and imbalance that make them strictly pipes to hold in hand. I wouldn't try to characterize folks who buy or smoke these, no stereotypes. With apologies, I dismiss the term hipster which just means anyone young and "dressed up" in some way who I don't identify with. These pipes do require some discretionary spending money, that's for sure. That's not how I spend mine, but several I wouldn't mind owning. So they don't disgust or alienate me, but I'm not longing for one either. Sorry to be longwinded, just sorting it out here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. menuhin

menuhin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The site gave me some pleasant information overload with the display of some fancy craftsmanship.

Once making calabash pipes from gourds was considered avant garde, and corn cob was a new thing.
    Cigrmaster's question is more of a question about fashion statement. One doesn't need to think of high fashion, it is all about street fashion and fashion of the decade / generation.

I would buy a design pipe like those if I really like it, given that almost nobody sees me smoke a pipe - and it is pretty much unrelated to my fashion statement. So I would treat such a piece as a piece of painting or sculpture at home. In rarer occasion of I smoke outside, I probably won't choose to smoke a Wallenstein (those 3 "Raoul Wallenstein" are perhaps yet another pseudonym like "Roger Wallenstein" for this retired lawyer) or a Bo Nordh snail (I wish I have one..!). But if I am going to meet a few wood carving artists, then I may bring a special one indeed. It's similar to, will people normally sticker bomb their own street car? Probably not. But rally drivers would love to cover their race car with cool stickers.

With the Danish, pipe designs deviate from the simple formula "form follows function".
    I can imagine if I put this on my desk, but not next to my other pipes.

If I just pull out this "lamp" and start to fill in tobacco and smoke in front of some unassuming guests, it will not be just a special scene, but also a hilarious one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. badbeard

badbeard

Login to Send PM

Maybe I am being simplistic in my view, but the name of the site kind of explains it to me: pipesart.com

It's functional art - so I assume the folks buying them are also those who appreciate fine sculpture, or any other type of art. The fact that they can be smoked seems like a bonus, considering the skill required to shape and finish such complex pieces.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think many of those pipes are made to be looked at and not necessarily be smoked. I do appreciate the imagination and the artistic chops needed to make some of them.

I would imagine people in their late 20's-late 30's, upwardly mobile as many of those pipes have a pretty high price tag, would be one demographic? I am 60 and don't know many of my age group who would buy pipes like those, or maybe I am just behind the times and don't have a clue?

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think times have changed, on one hand.

But then again, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Which is to say... maybe there's lots of pipes for sale right now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Classic shapes for the most part bore me, so I am one that buys them at 43.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That pipe slays me, Duane.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I bought it as a weapon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

maybe I am just behind the times and don't have a clue?
    No maybe to it, that's me...

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Way too freaky for me. I like traditional pipes........Smoking out side in a park or something you get odd looks sometimes, I can just imagine whipping out one of those contraptions..someone's likely to call the cops on ya !!

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I've been frequently accused of smoking marijuana when smoking traditional shaped pipes, but when smoking a freehand, onlookers are amazed at the carving.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Impressive work for sure, but definitely not my style. I'll stick to my traditional shapes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe smoking should be relaxing, not having to worry about joint damage trying to hold one of those things.

I get it though, most of them are supposed to be "art". Not my cup of tea under either circumstance.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

The asymmetrical freehands fit the palm and fingers, and are more ergonomic than they appear.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. leatherman

leatherman

Login to Send PM

^^^ Absolutely, embers. My Nording Freehand feels like it was sculpted for my hands. Left or right, it just disappears.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Once you hold them, you could swear they were carved just for you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dunno. I'm pretty sure you'll need your tetanus shot up to date before you handle this one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

You may be right about that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once you hold them, you could swear they were carved just for you.
    I find this very true of Nordings also.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seacaptain, that is one butt ugly pipe. The more I look at some of those pipes the more I think they are just trying to out do each other with who can make the craziest looking pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Hipster fare I would think.

Just googled hipster with a pipe. All I got was traditional shapes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

chasing, I could pass for a hipster as I have hair down to my shoulders, big beard and tattoo's on my forearms, oh wait, that could also be a hippie. Since I am 60, I guess I fit hippie over hipster.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

A friend of mine has gone all out hipster. Beard, pompador, and old English pipes with flannel shirts. I have long hair too, and would probably suit hippie better as well, though I'm hillbilly all over.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Flannel shirts? I didn't know that was a fashion statement. If I were a hipster, I would be wearing a cordaroy sport coat with the patches at the elbow. I had one of those and wore it all during high school with my Levi's straight leg cords. I was styling back then.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Yeah, apparently the lumberjack thing is the way to go. I've worn flannel for decades, and just thought it was comfortable.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been wearing flannels all my life as well, and with the beard I wear now I probably get mistaken for a hipster too. I used to wear my hair long, but now just buzz it all off.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To me they don’t seem that out there. I’ve seen many established carvers make pipes in similar styles.

Personally I’m not a big fan of those styles.

I’m sure it takes a lot of time to carve them, which is probably why the prices are what they are.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  45. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I've been wearing flannels all my life as well, and with the beard I wear now I probably get mistaken for a hipster too.

Just get one of those little flat caps and you're in!

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wear flannel shirts all fall and winter, but open with a t-shirt. Think Ray Barone, not hipster.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just get one of those little flat caps and you're in!
    I've always wanted a bowler actually.

Think Ray Barone, not hipster
    Man, I miss that show!

I'm pretty sure you'll need your tetanus shot up to date before you handle this one.
    I'm not sure what to think about that pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I've been eyeballing a leather coachman hat for a while myself.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would like to talk to the guy who buys this pipe for 2600.00 Euros. I think it could be an interesting discussion as to what he sees in a pipe like that. Check it out. http://pipesart.com/view_product.php?pid=550

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't pay that for it, but I like it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gotta admire the carving, real artistry. Do I want to fire up my PS Proper English in it? I guess if I owned it, I might.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is just so busy looking. It also looks nothing like a smoking pipe which I guess is the idea.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I kind of like it. There were quite a few on that page that I liked.
    People seem to have the notion that artists are making a ton of money. Yeh, there are commercial artists that make works that reach a huge audience, as in TV, music, and other commercial venues, that do pretty well for themselves. And, in a medium where the artist may only reach handfuls of people, they may put exorbitant prices on things, because that is the price it will take for them to separate with the work. But, when I go to gallery shows and art festivals, everyone there is taking time away from their day jobs to celebrate and share their passion for art, creativity, and making. These aren't Rolls Royce driving people. Maybe $2,000 is just what it would take for that person to separate from that creation. Or, it took him 6 months to carve the thing, and he wants to at least make $0.25 an hour for the thing.

Most artists that I encounter in the gallery and show scene are barely asking the price of canvas and paints for their works. $2,000 may seem exorbitant to us, but to someone who may have labored over that thing, it may seem like a mere penance.

And, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that everyone out there agrees with you. I have a harder time trying to figure out why someone would pay over $50 for a plain old dumbass looking every day joe Dunhill. Excites me about as much as tap water.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  55. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cos, where did I say that anyone should agree with me? Everyone has their own tastes and that is how it should be. I have the right to comment on any pipe I want as that is what we do here. I guess that all of the people who collect Dunhills are just dumb asses who have no taste in pipes. Looks to me that there are a lot more of those types of people than those who buy that crazy looking thing that is called a pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cos, where did I say that anyone should agree with me?

You right, you right...
    I guess that all of the people who collect Dunhills are just dumb asses

Of course... ha ha. Touché!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, I'm more into the large baroque water fountain looking meerschaum pipes, especially the ones that require a back brace for clenching.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cos, I have about 5 IMP Meers on my ebay watch list. I just can't figure out which one I want. They are all smooth with no carvings and weigh around 60 grams. I can't decide on a 1/4 bend or straight either. I have never owned a quality Meer like IMP.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was just kidding the only meer I have ever owned I accidentally broke by walking outside in a snowstorm with a glowing hot bowl, and it just snapped with thermal shock. I really want a quality meer like IMP as well. But, I keep getting swayed by all of these gifted briar pipe carvers around here.

I was just making a bad joke about those huge meerschaum pipes being similar to those artistic carved thingys you were talking about.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cos, I get ya. I am not a fan of the carved Meers either. I am so boring when it comes to the pipes I love and I admit it. Here is what I call a beautiful Meer. I need to contact the seller to make sure a fluffy pipe cleaner will pass with ease. Once I do that I am out of excuses.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IMP-Meerschaum-Pipe-Big-Apple-Hand-Carved-in-a-fitted-CASE-i1450/142670054300?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't call that boring. In fact, I kinda like that one too. Let's see who breaks down and buys that one first, ha ha. Actually, I may be more boring, as I've been on the look out for this one... well, when I am also in the mood, ha ha. But, I have been working on my bulldog collection lately.

But, as too the artsy ones, I really like those, and I would smoke one. But, I just recently became a foster parent, so my funds are in my wife's hands at the moment. But, when I get in control again, I'd give one of them more consideration. However, I would much rather give one of our resident pipe carvers my money, Dan or Zack or Ryan... or any of them. It always means more to me when I know the carver and have conversed with them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But, when I get in control [of the household money] again,

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  63. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, she had to buy furniture... so... yeh, ha ha, I may have entered the rabbit hole when I gave her my debit card.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your wife ===> "What card was that, honey? I don't remember you giving me a card..."

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha, yeh, sort of like when Pipes and Cigars sends me those free boxes of tobacco, "probably for being one of the forum members." They are such great guys there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have several from that site a few still listed on the makers front page entry and they smoke great, some I would not even care to touch but appeal is personal and affordable varies from one person to another. I own one of Bo Nordhs personal pipes and it’s a classic apple shape with a buffalo horn accent, way off from some of the shapes he made which don’t even make one blink an eye today but in the day would be classified similar to some of the pipes on that website.
    banjo

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some are a bit outlandish, but many are very nice. One that is available that I found fun and quite striking was:

I sort of got the impression that in addition to the eccentric streak of some of our members, many upper scale European and Asian buyers may like these. As the world gets more multicultural, it is popular to reject traditional western ideas, this would include pipe shapes, I guess.

Besides, if you listen to hipsters, not many of them have jobs that could result in them affording such pipes... ha ha.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cos, so the guy gets back to me and says that only a thin pipe cleaner will pass with ease, a fluffy he says you need to break the pipe apart. I appreciated him getting back to me and I told him I will pass. I had the perfect Meer but Zack ruined it.

wyfbane, it is interesting looking but not something I would buy. I agree with you about the possible buyers, coming from Europe and Asia and not so much hipsters.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, Zack selfishly only sells the pipes that he doesn't mess up, the ingrate.

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well going back over the entry to the pipe makers photos I only see one still being used that I own and it’s by Jan Syzmon Golowacz, signed JSG. it’ called the Mermaid and smokes great.
    banjo

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper